It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosions in the upper atmosphere: how it can happen!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
This isn't a prediction per-say, but it has to do with an upper atmosphere 'explosion' some people have thought could happen. If any of you have the current issue of Scientific American (June 2010), turn to page 38. It talks about how the real threat from asteroids may not be an impact, but an upper atmosphere explosion as it's ripped apart. It talks about how a 30-45 m asteroid could flatten a city by detonating in the upper atmosphere. It would have a similar (but not exact) effect to a high altitude nuke going off.

So there you have it! A plausible situation of how an upper atmosphere explosion can occur.

Another thought i have is just wild speculation. Theoretically, if a rogue brown dwarf passed by the earth, wouldn't there be a good chance it's picked up many comets and asteroids (albeit small) from the asteroid and kuiper belts? Wouldn't there be a big possibility that those objects could swing by or crash into the earth while the brown dwarf passes? Im not talking big asteroids, im talking maybe upto 200m in diameter. Again, this is just wild speculation.

P.S. I'll try to post a scan of the article, if that doesnt violate copyrights.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
When I was a kid I was staying over at a friends house with some other friends and at like 3am in the morning we were all sitting in his backyard just chatting.

And suddenly the night sky became as bright as day, for like 2-3 seconds it seemed and there was a loud crackling sound.

We looked up and at the source of the bright white light was a smoke trail (from the meteor) and multiple smoke tails from the shattered pieces of it that had come off after it exploded.

The bright light which literally lit up everything even the sky slowly dimmed off. I would say it was fully gone after 6-7seconds.

It was almost directly overhead as well. About 18 years ago.

I think there may have been a little bit of green light near the explosion area. It's been so long it's hard to remember.

It was really cool though.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Great story! Was it kind of like that thing that exploded over Ohio a few months back?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
If you buy in to the notion that the earth is one big living organism and that the ionosphere is the earths life force.

I think what HAARP and other places are doing could be very dangerous for life on our planet. We could actually be damaging the life force of the very cell that we rely on to survive.

God we are so intelligent, dont you just love us lol.

A little off topic i know but im drunk and fancied leaving my two pence.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I have a nasty suspicion this article has been written to give the American government plausible deniability when they start blowing up cities from space.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
One way is a Tunguska Event,

en.wikipedia.org...

This may also be the cause for some of the coastal booms that have been heard at points around the world.

I believe that even small meteorites entering the upper atmosphere can make booms that are channeled by temperature inversions for 100s to 1000s of miles

top topics

join