It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Hell of a year' for hurricanes, experts warn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

www.msnbc.msn.com

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - The threat of an above-average 2010 Atlantic hurricane season has increased over the last month and it now promises to be "very active," two leading forecasters said Wednesday. The warning comes as the season also sees an unusual factor added to the mix: the Gulf oil disaster.

William Gray and Phil Klozbach, who head the respected Colorado State University hurricane forecast team, said they would ramp up their prediction for the 2010 season in a report due out on June 2.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This is not good.

I said it!

The warm waters will be devasting for this hurricane season.

Weather Services International predicted 18 named storms, 10 hurricanes and five intense hurricanes, rated as Category 3 storm with winds of 110-130 mph, or greater.

The naysayers will say the the oil spill will have no effect, I beg to differ, in a big way.

Thoughts ATS?

~Keeper

www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Yep, just wait until the first comes along and brings all that lovely crude and detergents/dispersants inland. Then they get into the water, into the crops...

When is that Moon base going to be ready?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
We are reaping what we have collectively sown.

Get your closets in order.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by blujay
We are reaping what we have collectively sown.

Get your closets in order.

Come on blujay, I've been out of my closet for YEARS

On a serious note, your right, it's the people collectively who are to blame for allowing this sort of thing to continue and electing those who lead us.

~Keeper

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I've been predicting this oil problem will still be with us for hurricane season. Warn waters = severe hurricanes. On top of that the devastation to our food supply, our health, and our shoreline.

Martial law is soon to follow mark my words.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
im thinking of the bp oil spill all the oil will soon be well inland and killing wildlife and people life not to mention food and water supplies a katrina right now would be beyond comprehension for us as a society.

Be Well

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I am hoping the consequences of hurricane+oil+chemicals will be as minimal as possible... given there are likely to be some. :-(

RC

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by cagliostro
Yep, just wait until the first comes along and brings all that lovely crude and detergents/dispersants inland. Then they get into the water, into the crops...

When is that Moon base going to be ready?

But a hurricane would actually be the best thing for the oil spill...

Anyhow, they have been saying this for the past how many years? They will continue to say it, until it happens, because that's what gets you the most research money.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
and all that methane in the atmosphere will surely have a significant contribution to hurricane formation as well.

here's an ongoing discussion with very good info regarding the methane angle

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I pray for you guys. Make sure your crops are well protected. Farmers should make a line of hay bales. To make a barrier so the oil will not get across, and hopefully, hopefully, the hay bales would be heavy enough for the wave to not wash them away, and supply yourselves with some gas masks, if it does come through because the fumes released from the oil and chemical dispersants, will be hazardous to everyone's health.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Shrukin89]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The oil spill is something we should be most worried about right now.

As for hurricanes, well, predictions dont mean squat. Recall how just after Hurricane Katrina we were being bombarded with doomsday scenarios of more and more Cat. 4 and 5 hurricanes pounding us every year, many hurricanes causing death and destruction, blah blah blah, and then, literally the years after Katrina and what happened? Its got real quiet. Very little hurricane activity, and hardly any at all hit us in the last 5 years.

My money is riding on this year being just like the previous years: just at or just below average.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Thoughts ATS?

In the thread I just posted, there is potential to simulate hurricanes with 3D models of the Gulf:

Scientists have embarked on a crash effort to use one the world's largest supercomputers to create 3D models to simulate how BP's massive Gulf of Mexico oil spill will affect coastal areas.

Researchers race to produce 3D models of BP oil spill

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by belidged

you just also watch that they will fix the spill and then all of a sudden the first hurricane will unplug the mess. Then we will have our first oil hurricane.... Joy to be human!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
A hurricane will bring all the oil and dispersant into the front yards of the people - affecting health in a way you can't imagine. It will get into the drinking water and food supply. No doubt about it - you can't stop a train!

A very early mandatory evacuation will be needed for the entire coast!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by belidged
Martial law is soon to follow mark my words.

You know, since the same yo-yos that couldnt handle New Orleans and Katrina, and cant handle the oil spill crisis, cant secure our border, and who cant subdue some tiny little desert nations are the same yo-yo's that would be imposing martial law here in the US, Im not worried.

Even if they somehow magically got 100% better at coordinating and everything, we would still have nothing to worry about.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I scoured over the NOAA website for statistics on how accurate they have
been over recent years in predicting the number and intensity of hurricanes.
Couldn't find a thing. After coming across the article at this website, I now
know why.

www.digitaljournal.com...

Excerpt:
"Washington - NOAA's track record in predicting the number of Atlantic
hurricanes is so abysmal that a trained chimp could do better, says The
National Center for Public Policy Research, and they're putting him to
the test in storm, climate and weather predictions."

-cwm

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

www.msnbc.msn.com

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - The threat of an above-average 2010 Atlantic hurricane season has increased over the last month and it now promises to be "very active," two leading forecasters said Wednesday. The warning comes as the season also sees an unusual factor added to the mix: the Gulf oil disaster.

William Gray and Phil Klozbach, who head the respected Colorado State University hurricane forecast team, said they would ramp up their prediction for the 2010 season in a report due out on June 2.

I hope we don't have any floods in my area this summer even though i can always turn a #ty situation into something fun. I hope the folks down here in Miami don't see a Katrina or another Wilma in our case.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I just hope the jet stream will be in our favor, it has been known to push many a threatening storm into the North Atlantic to fizzle away. Hope that holds true for this season as well.

[edit on 5/26/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
How does the density of the oil affect the current of the gulf stream? Does oil heat up quicker then water?

new topics

top topics

join