It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Is BP going to Pay?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Hello everyone,

I live down here in Miami Florida and the pictures and videos I've seen of the oil spill are horrible.

Now my question is WHY HASN'T ANYONE STOPPED BUYING GAS FROM BP's GAS STATIONS??? I never use BP gas, but yesterday on my way to work I saw the BP gas stations packed with people filling up their tanks. People shouldn't be giving money to the liars at BP. Am I the only one thinking about this?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ^anubis^

People love to say how bad things are in the Gulf, they badmouth BP, but when you need gas and its convenient to stop at a BP, people dont think twice.

Luckily, there are no BP's around L.A., knowing how environmental everyone is here, those things would be burned to the ground.

How will they pay? Its very simple. They wont have to. Recent history has shown us that when it comes to big corporations getting themselves underwater through greed and bad decision making, its the tax payers that really end up up paying.

The fact that Obama is in the pocket of BP only makes it that much more obvious...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I see what you are saying, and can understand completely your sentiments in response to this [apparently - we don't of course know the full background yet] heinous act of negligence.

However, re: BP boycot, can anyone convince me that any of the alternative oil or petroleum companies is definately 100% whiter than white or any better than BP when it gets down to the nitty-gritty of what, from reading a lot of the other posts on ATS, seems more and more a dirty business full of nasty secrets?

My point I suppose is, perhaps this should be a wake-up call to us all to realise that our creation or sustaining of the oil/gas industries on such a massive scale is something that, especially due to the increased difficulties of extraction (physical and political, i.e. war), we should be opting out of far more generally?

[edit on 26-5-2010 by curioustype]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

Keep in mind, just because a gas station does not have a "BP" or "British Petroleum" sign, it does not mean a gas station is not affiliated with BP. ARCO is a subsidiary of BP. If you fill up at ARCO, you are filling up at BP. So if you wish to boycott BP, don't fill up at an ARCO.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Hi there, What if BP isn't really the cause of the leak? What if they have to take the fall in a major cover up? What if admitting who really caused the leak would mean we would have to retaliate? What if in doing that, the guilty party had allies that would then send us a little message???? See where this is going??? Is someone trying to force our hand???

How would you want BP to pay if this were the case???

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Just one more thing, this rig was operated under the BP corporate umbrella yes, but wasn't it a [Transocean]/Halliburton/[BP] supplied/maintained rig, and a USA regulated/licenced and presumably inspected operation as well?

[BP - HQ: London, UK, Halliburton HQ: Houston, Texas, USA, Transocean HQ: Geneva, Switzerland]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
BP......PAY?

I don't think that will happen people. Never.

Listen, this is a huge oil company. It controls the exact thing America invaded Iraq for and what the governments of the world fight over.

If anything this will eventually work out as a great PR thing for BP.

As they say all publicity is good publicity!!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by curioustype...
and a USA regulated/licenced and presumably inspected operation as well?

When will the USA pay? I love how they can stamp their seal of approval on things that kill, poison and pollute but when the jig is up do they ever pay? Nope. The FDA, EPA or whatever relative agency to the scenario at hand just shrugs it's shoulders and with a dumb and lost look quickly points at some guy and shouts as loudly as it can: "it's his fault!"

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

Yes, it will be interesting in the coming investigation and various lawsuits to note to what degree BP complied with extant US law and regulations in regard to offshore drilling. I suspect the US gov't. will have to share culpability if, as reports now coming out suggest, US law and regulations are just a codified set of sanctions that allow oil companies to pretty much do what they please.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I have an idea to make them pay....plant CANNABIS/HEMP everywhere you can....overgrow the OIL and the gov.

What can you make with OIL that you can't make with CANNABIS/HEMP?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
BP profits are $66 million A DAY, they will easily pay everyone off and not even batt an eye. They'll make it all back just with this well when it is repaired and actually pumping out oil the way it is supposed to be.
Don't worry about BP they will be fine and in two years time will be stronger than ever.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering
BP profits are $66 million A DAY, they will easily pay everyone off and not even batt an eye. They'll make it all back just with this well when it is repaired and actually pumping out oil the way it is supposed to be.
Don't worry about BP they will be fine and in two years time will be stronger than ever.

They are a corporate giant to be sure, but I wonder...if they are found criminally liable, could a jury to rule--and a judge to allow--a verdict to liquidate BP outright? Can you present estimated damages over time, ecologically (and thereby economically) speaking, as part of the case?

join