It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Furious at "Don't-Kill" Bill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
The amount of criminals who go all out when they are caught, ammounting to Suicide By Cop is astounding.

Like a previous poster said, adrenaline will prevent any sort of delayed reaction by criminals to being wounded slighty in the leg or arm when confronted by police.

~Keeper

Far too few civilians realize this fact, people usually lose it when they get caught and do some stupid thing Ex. someone I was pursuing jumped 40ft off a bridge into the water to get away...

Secure

[edit on 25-5-2010 by xXxtremelySecure]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Another nice example of legislators writing bills relating to subjects they have no clue about.

Why not just legislate that all cops take Crouching Tiger classes so they can fly across tree tops and disable criminals with their minds?

Actually from the way they are talking they want us all to out shoot the Lone Ranger...

Secure

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I still find it mind blowing that people actually walk around daily, with loaded guns and its no big deal. I was behind a cop at subway the other day and the fact that he had a gun made me a little uneasy...there is always the chance of what if. Hate guns.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxtremelySecure
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I dont take chances with guns and someone that is willing to use them. Knives, Bats, etc. I have almost never pulled my gun out, unless they were about to do lethal damage to someone. I use less lethal weapons all the time when I run into other weapons.

Secure

You might not, but many cops do use their guns when there is no reason to or no immediate threat to the public. When we see the the volume of cops who simply feel that the gun is their only line of defense, (cop in snowball fight) it comes as no surprise that people are getting sick and tired of it.

I think this bill represents a positive change. See the thread where the cop pulls out gun at a traffic stop because the suspect is.."revving the engine above idle and backing the bike up" when in fact the engine doesn't rev at all. Maybe instead of dead suspects and lying cops we'll have a chance to hear both sides of the story.

..Ex

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
I still find it mind blowing that people actually walk around daily, with loaded guns and its no big deal. I was behind a cop at subway the other day and the fact that he had a gun made me a little uneasy...there is always the chance of what if . Hate guns.

Can you elaborate on "What If".

To me it sounds like any cop with a gun is going to turn around shoot who ever is behind them because they have a gun.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Another nice example of legislators writing bills relating to subjects they have no clue about.

Why not just legislate that all cops take Crouching Tiger classes so they can fly across tree tops and disable criminals with their minds?

Actually from the way they are talking they want us all to out shoot the Lone Ranger...

Secure

Gee, how dare the civilians (who pay your salary) expect those that chose a career, again, to SERVE AND PROTECT, to be well trained with the lethal weapons they carry, and to be able to make a logical decision on which shot to take given the situation.

Not trying to be a jerk, but dont give me the 'poor me' garbage.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
theirs to many people in america , and probbaly alot of cops who seem to think because someone threatens them with a weapon they have every right to shoot them dead ... which is silly as noone has the right to decide who lives and who dies!

wound them, take them down, but whats the point of killing people anyway...

wouldnt it be better to keep people alive so they can be punished ?? .. ive always though that way . Imo, Death is the easy way out for criminals! (and yes, i mean all criminals... no exception ... if your dead you dont need to think abotu what you have done!)

edit ... aim for the lower back to paralyse them for life ?? ye great, then the state (wherever you live) has to spend more on them while they spend their life in jail . ... good thinking if you like to waste money..

shot in the leg or arm ... then if their still trying to shoot you pop one in the stomach ... least that way if they live they wont be a burdon to society!

[edit on 25-5-2010 by boaby_phet]

Let me ask you something, if you were a criminal shooting at me what is your intent? Does it matter? Do you have ANY idea what a bullet does to someone? The risk of dying from even an arm wound is quite good. If I shoot at a person, the intent is to make them stop shooting at me. That means 9 out of ten times the other guy is dead.

It would be preferable to take your suspect alive so as to make sure he gets his day in court, but natural justice doesn't work that way... If you fight nature you die.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by v3_exceed
You might not, but many cops do use their guns when there is no reason to or no immediate threat to the public. When we see the the volume of cops who simply feel that the gun is their only line of defense, (cop in snowball fight) it comes as no surprise that people are getting sick and tired of it.

I think this bill represents a positive change. See the thread where the cop pulls out gun at a traffic stop because the suspect is.."revving the engine above idle and backing the bike up" when in fact the engine doesn't rev at all. Maybe instead of dead suspects and lying cops we'll have a chance to hear both sides of the story.
..Ex

I understand where you are coming from...however those really don't apply to this bill, those officers would be in the wrong with or without this bill...

Secure

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Cops were given the trust to decide when it was appropriate to use lethal force but video after video has shown they don't deserve that trust. Yeah, yeah, a few bad apples blah, blah, blah.....the truth is that the rest of the cops cover up for the scum bags and the public no longer trust the police to serve and protect them without question.

The people are starting to demand that the cop's should need to account for each and every use of lethal force (like they do in every civilized country) and if the cops in the US don't like that, I suggest they do something to earn the trust back that they were given free and pissed all over.

Just so you know, over here most of the cops don't carry guns and we seem to get along with very few shootings. It's really strange how that works, fewer guns = fewer shootings
who'd a thunk.

[edit on 25/5/10 by pieman]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Gee, how dare the civilians (who pay your salary) expect those that chose a career, again, to SERVE AND PROTECT, to be well trained with the lethal weapons they carry, and to be able to make a logical decision on which shot to take given the situation.

I am well trained with the Glock 22C .40 I carry I go to the range at least once a week, unlike many officers. I still do not think that in a fraction of a second I would be able to line up neutralizing shot that would be non-lethal. My Instincts would make me shoot for an area that I have the highest probability of hitting Center Mass.

Secure

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I think this should be decided on a case by case basis by a jury of peers. Officers should have to go to trial every time they kill someone. Most of the time they're being filmed or recorded, so it shouldn't be a problem to prove if they are in the right. If it ends in a hung jury then the case is dismissed.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

The SCOTUS decided some time ago the cops are under no obligation to serve or protect despite what may be written on their cruisers. Come to think of it I havent seen that phrase written on a cruiser in ages.

The only 'logical' thought anyone using a firearm in self defense needs to have is "stop the threat." Maybe that's the problem. Too many cops arent using their firearms in defense of self but rather to subdue a perceived threat.

None of us can get away with blowing away a kid with a super-soaker or an old man with a bat because we felt threatened. Even if the kid or the old man genuinely were threatening us we still wouldnt likely get away with it. The cops on the other hand can seemingly plug away at whoever they want.

link   

I still do not think that in a fraction of a second I would be able to line up neutralizing shot that would be non-lethal. My Instincts would make me shoot for an area that I have the highest probability of hitting Center Mass.

Secure

If you think you can't abide by the law, I suggest it's time to hand in your badge friend.

link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986
I think this should be decided on a case by case basis by a jury of peers. Officers should have to go to trial every time they kill someone. Most of the time they're being filmed or recorded, so it shouldn't be a problem to prove if they are in the right. If it ends in a hung jury then the case is dismissed.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Unfortunately this is completely unfeasible, the cost, the time, and the backlogs of cases already in the courts (6-7 months at least here).

Secure

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Wow the ignorance of legislation that is even looked at much of the time is mind blowing. Then again there are some pretty ignorant posts in this thread as well.

When a time comes where someone has a gun already drawn and you cannot read their mind it is best to take them out rather than let them do harm to others. If they were smart and playing by the rules they would not have their weapon drawn and things would be fine.

As for worrying about people shooting me of barging into my houses with gun or blade, I am not worried. I have my life in order enough that death does not bother me, pain on the other hand, but that is another thread. Seriously though I have never worried about anyone breaking into my houses, I have been around guns my whole life.

I do though wonder how they plan on enforcing such a moronic law if passed. As far as I understood it no weapon is exact, at least when a human is in control of them. Plain and simple it is not possible for every person on the force or in life will be able to pull off the same shot exactly in ever condition. To suggest it happen and try to enforce such a thing is not only moronic but flat out stupid.

Ignorance can be fixed, stupid is for life.

Raist

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

I still do not think that in a fraction of a second I would be able to line up neutralizing shot that would be non-lethal. My Instincts would make me shoot for an area that I have the highest probability of hitting Center Mass.

Secure

If you think you can't abide by the law, I suggest it's time to hand in your badge friend.

Luckily that isn't the law in Virginia where I live and work.

Secure

link   
I'm sure that if a cop fatally shot a suspect who was firing at him, he'd not be in danger of criminal charges if this bill were to pass.

This bill would help prevent a cop from killing someone who was carrying a gun, or what looks like a gun, like a kid with a toy, or a homeowner standing in their yard with a shotgun, or even a stupid and scared suspect who doesn't want to kill anyone but is standing there brandishing a weapon.

Cops shouldn't have licenses to kill period. This bill would go a long way to make sure they don't.

Maybe cops that are bad shots shouldn't be cops? Maybe they should be meter maids or paper pushers?

[edit on 25-5-2010 by primus2012]

link   
reply to post by projectvxn

well, for one, if i was a criminal,. i would be using a knife not a gun.

and i wouldnt be out to kill anyone... im no murderer!

see, thats the difference between usa and the uk ... usa just love to kill stuff , so have justafied this whole bloddy pro gun thing ..

id just love it if one of you just said once, you know .. yes, guns ARE bad!

did you ever thing that gun crimes so bad because their so easy to get a hold of one in the usa?!?!?!

cmon america, apply a bit of common sence!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Luckily that isn't the law in Virginia where I live and work.

Luckily for everyone else, it eventually will be

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by xXxtremelySecure

Most of the people who want to become cops,are the ones who got there lunch money taken from them at school IE they have a big chip on there shoulder. My father who was in the 82nd airborn 517th in ww11 was thinking about becoming a peace officer "highway patrol" he told me they were a chicken # outfit with a bunch of gutless sobs. There needs to be a better way of picking individuals who can handle the power and the pressure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join