It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thaksin charged with terrorism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   

BANGKOK: A Thai court ordered an arrest warrant Tuesday for former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on terrorism charges, accusing the fugitive leader of fomenting two months of unrest in Bangkok that left 88 people dead.

Thaksin, who was ousted in a 2006 military coup and later fled abroad following a corruption conviction, has been accused by the government of being a key force behind protests by the so-called Red Shirts who seized areas of downtown Bangkok before being overcome by army troops last week.

full news report : Thaksin charged with terrorism

i guess he is not going back to thailand anytime soon.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by affeyee

A couple of passages from the link you provided really stand out for me;

“The purpose of the curfew is to separate the terrorists from the public,” said army spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd. He said the late hours of the curfew would not cause significant disturbances to the public.

So the authorities want to instil confidence in the Thai general population that the public do not 'enjoy' social injustice and the protestors are deviants that people should not wish to be associated with?

Not that old trick again!

All but one of the top Red Shirt leadership were in custody Monday after the surrender of two more key figures. Another leader was expected to surrender on Tuesday.

Given as that most socially or politically aware protestors stay true to the cause unless it is not safe for them to do so, why the complete capitulation of the protest leaders?

[edit on 25/5/2010 by teapot]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
because the red shirt leader is the proxy for the former prime minister. they were paid to create this protests.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Thaksin is a war criminal and terrorist. An extremely corrupted former Thai leader, he sold state-owned properties to other countries (which I don't have to say) for money.

People who did and still doing business with him are considered highly corrupted and dangerous too.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by affeyee

Sorry, I do not know much about what has been happening in Thailand.

I thought the Red Shirts were part of a popular uprising, that the people had grown weary of excessive privileges of the Thai elite and corruption within the current government?

new topics

top topics

join