It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Canada a good country to move to?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Originally posted by Misoir

Lived in Toronto for University, I like it, but it's a bit cold, as in the people aren't as friendly as the rest of Canada.

This is true, I ran into a homeless man in Toronto who said that "of all the places I have been, Toronto is the least friendly. Nobody ever smiles!" Lousy bum!

edit: If you want a smaller town, there are a lot of suburban centers along the coast of Lake Ontario that are connected to Toronto by train and highway and have much, MUCH better housing prices! I can't help with more specific information though, I rarely travel to those suburbs.

Stay away from Pickering Ontario if you fear the Nuclear Boogeyman!

[edit on 23-5-2010 by SmedleyBurlap]

final edit: god i hate the BBCode

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

Yeah, Barrie is a beautiful place, only 2 hours from Downtown Toronto and can get there in 45 mins on the Sky Train.

~Keeper

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

My family has always lived in the east, we've never been out west before except my grandfather. We prefer a maritime climate anyways where it doesn't get too hot or cold.

I was under the impression that eastern Canada was in an economic slump and was the poorest part of the country. I guess I was wrong.

St. John's, Newfoundland & Labrador is a little too far north and wild IMO. I have seen shows about their wild nor'easterns and that they are not far from Greenland. Just knowing that would scare me.

I don't think my family could handle 'crazy cold' even if it is beautiful, I probably could but not anyone else.

I liked Winnipeg and Saskatoon until I saw how cold it got there and I just said forget that!

I guess I will start to look into eastern Canada. Thanks!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Your welcome,

Don't get me wrong, were aren't the richest provinces, and some would say we are the poorest, but we are turning things around and doing it quickly.

As much as I love the rest of Canada, this Maritime Climate and people are just too good to pass up.

Mind you this winter was a bit of an exception, usually we'll have temperatures in the Winter going to about -30C, maybe -40C with the wind chill.

In the summer it can get as hot as 40C. This winter we only had a week of temperatures below -20C and I think we've got record temperature for Spring this year.

Like you said, May is very early for 30+ degree weather.

~Keeper

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Now that I know Canada is a great place to live based upon opinion from the natives.

I have to ask your opinions upon cities in Canada that I should start researching. Just tell me which cities on this list are best for weather, economy and overall best.

Calgary, Alberta
Vancouver, British Columbia
Prince George, British Columbia
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Toronto, Ontario
Edmonton, Alberta
Whitehorse, Yukon

I was told that the area between Prince George, BC and Whitehorse, YK is beautiful and a great place to live. It looks too far north and would probably be freezing!

I have lived in Hamilton, On for 12 years and loved every minute of it. Toronto may be too expensive to live in but most people actually get homes in Hamilton and Burlington to make the commute to T.O. Hamilton is about a 45-1:15 drive away from Toronto. The cost of living in Ontario is relatively good with the exception of Toronto.

We are getting a hefty tax merger coming in June, but it shouldn't be too bad.

All in all, Hamilton is a great city to live in, and Ontario is a beautiful province. I would recommend you do your research about Hamilton and Burlington.

Goodluck!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I just looked up Moncton, New Brunswick on Wikipedia and it gets really cold in the winter. Brrr. January it is H -3 L - 13, July H 25 L 13. That's cold in the winter. It's an absolutely wonderful looking city, it's big but not too big.

What about Charlottetown? Where's that?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I just looked up Moncton, New Brunswick on Wikipedia and it gets really cold in the winter. Brrr. January it is H -3 L - 13, July H 25 L 13. That's cold in the winter. It's an absolutely wonderful looking city, it's big but not too big.

What about Charlottetown? Where's that?

That's Prince Edward Island, don't bother lol.

Moncton really isn't that bad, like I said, this year has been a blessing, but even when it does get cold, it's a dry cold I guess, so it's not all like hurtfull.

Besides ,you can get anywhere in the city in a half hour if you walk, 10 mins on the bus system.

~Keeper

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
P.E.I is honestly not that great in my opinion. But Moncton is honestly a GREAT place to live. The city is so clean it is unbelievable. it has a population around 120,000 I think? Places like Oakville, Mississauga, Brampton, Milton, Hamilton are pretty close to Toronto, Barrie to. But in my opinion Moncton or Toronto are your best bet. 5 million in all the GTA I think? 2 million in the city of Toronto (not sure if this is true though) I personally do not like Mississauga or Brampton (not racist, but I think there are too many Pakistan people, felt like a minority)

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Yeah I prefer public transportation.

Why did you say to not even bother with Prince Edward Island? What's wrong with it?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Moncton now probably got about close to 200K.

A great place to learn french as a second language as well, we have a subset language caled Shiak, pronouce shee--ak.

It's a combo of french and english, very easy to learn and gives you a good basis for learning proper French.

Also University De Moncton is a great place, and if your kids are only english, there's Mount Allison in Sackville, one of the best Universities in Canada.

It's also only 20 mins away from the Beach, 3 hours from Halifax and 3 hours from the American Boarder...

~Keeper

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Too small, I don't like it, all the towns are well, I dunno it could be a prejudice thing, nice place to visit, horrible place to live.

I think PEI IS the poorest province in Canada...

~Keeper

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

That would be alot easier to learn French that way.

no kids. I'm the kid of the family, 18. I always wanted to move out of the USA anyways and it would be great to have my family move with me.

I would live with my family until I finished University. Then I would move. I prefer very rural areas with mountains, forests and lakes. A place where you can buy alot of land for cheap.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
There are lots of great people here, but we are basically facing the same problems with Codex, corrupt government, nwo, and the 'totalitarian tiptoe" as America is. The only real advantage is a huge northern backyard with low to zero population.

We're a step behind the States so far as legalities go, and of course, are the "mouse" that has to move when our southern "elephant" friend decides to shift weight.

Either way, good luck!

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

That would be alot easier to learn French that way.

no kids. I'm the kid of the family, 18. I always wanted to move out of the USA anyways and it would be great to have my family move with me.

I would live with my family until I finished University. Then I would move. I prefer very rural areas with mountains, forests and lakes. A place where you can buy alot of land for cheap.

Well then NB is the place for you friend. You can literally be moutaing climbing in 2 hours of Moncton, you can Canoe, Kayak, Fish, Sun Tan, the great outdoors is our backyard herel lol.

Also the club scene is hoping, at least it was in my day. My daughter tells me it's still pretty good

~Keeper

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Well then NB is the place for you friend. You can literally be moutaing climbing in 2 hours of Moncton, you can Canoe, Kayak, Fish, Sun Tan, the great outdoors is our backyard herel lol.

Also the club scene is hoping, at least it was in my day. My daughter tells me it's still pretty good

~Keeper

That sounds perfect! I'm not a club person, I'm more about just relaxing our doing something in nature. Canoeing, Kayaking, fishing, etc... sounds perfect to me. I'm sure mountain biking, hiking, bicycling the open roads, and all that good stuff is abundant too.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Very much so.

And we have TreeGo.

Once a year we have a huge obstacle course that comes into Moncton, takes like 2 hours to finish and there are multiple levels of difficulty.

I swear I have a hard time keeping up with my kids these days lol.

www.gotreego.com...

~Keeper

[edit on 5/23/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Moncton seems great! I wish I knew about this place before. I will have a new place to tell my family to start researching. It's beautiful, booming and nice.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Is the NDP popular in the Maritimes?

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Is the NDP popular in the Maritimes?

Not really, although I think moving forward they might get more seats as were all pretty fed up with Libs and Dems.

Jack Layton is kind of an idiot so he doesn't really help his cause. Everytime he opens his mouth it's like he's falling down the stairs.

But I love their platform.

~Keeper

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I have lived in calgary and am in vancouver.....

Depends on your taste in scenery... I LOVE the ocean and mountains, so I couldn't handle calgary...

I truly feel like we live in the best place on earth..... wonderful people, beautiful nature, soooo much to do, fun, fun, fun....positive spiritual outlook with anyone I talk too, yet not religious..... fishing, crab to die for, lush egetation everywhere, cleanest water on earth...... karaoke 7 nights a week, lol....

SOOOOO many places to camp etc...... everyone else offered some great links and help etc, but just thought I would jump in.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join