It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama, foreign corporate campaign contribution? British Petroleum.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

We have been hearing that Obama received the most from BP.

Here is a few articles on this.

Obama biggest recipient of BP cash

Obama biggest recipient of BP money over past 20 years

Now, let us take a look BP.

BP wikipedia

BP plc[2] is a British global energy company which is the third largest global energy company and the fourth largest company in the world. As a multinational oil company ("oil major") BP is the UK's largest corporation, with its headquarters in St James's, City of Westminster, London.[3][4][5] BP America's headquarters is in the Two Westlake Park in the Energy Corridor area of Houston, Texas. The company is among the largest private sector energy corporations in the world, and one of the six "supermajors" (vertically integrated private sector oil exploration, natural gas, and petroleum product marketing companies).[6] The company is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.

Here is BP's home page-BP Home

Here is the page for faq's and ordinary stock holders-BP faq

Ownership statistics-Ownership stats

Alright, this is becoming a quagmire of attempts to determine who exactly owns BP. BP being a publicly traded company it is almost impossible to determine who owns the majority stock in the company.

If anyone can find a list of shareholders of the stock, it would be helpful.

This is what we have to ask ourselves, do I own some of the stock in BP? Might want to check your 401k holdings. It may be you that is the cause of the debacle in the Gulf.

This is what happens when the world is tied together like this. When did the creation of these multi national corporations begin? What is the advantage of tying the world's business together? Why have we allowed our governments and our businesses to create these huge monstrosities? Why did we decide to do this and what ramifications does it spell for our future?

Oh and by the way, for those of you that voted for Obama, back him now and went all bat# crazy when the SC made the determination on the McCain Feingold legislation, what the hell do you have to say NOW?

[edit on 5/23/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

at your reply to Indisputable Evidence

thought i'd come and give credit where it's due.

*boy, it's lonely in here.....

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe

And from that article...

BP and its employees have given more than $3.5 million to federal candidates over the past 20 years, with the largest chunk of their money going to Obama, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Donations come from a mix of employees and the company’s political action committees — $2.89 million flowed to campaigns from BP-related PACs and about $638,000 came from individuals.

Read more: www.politico.com...

From the Center for Responsive Politics..the place the article sites..

However, Congress voted in 2008 to lift a ban on offshore drilling. These companies are also wary of cap-and-trade climate change legislation, such as the measure Democratic President Barack Obama supports. Yet Obama still received $884,000 from the oil and gas industry during the 2008 campaign, more than any other lawmaker except his Republican opponent, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

Here are the top 20 industries that contributed to the Obama Campaign...And Oil and Gas is not on it...Again from the same source Politico cited..

www.opensecrets.org...

John McCain had Oil and gas at #11
www.opensecrets.org...

Here are the Presidential candidates ranked by how much they recieved from the oil and gas industry...Obama at less than a Million, McCain at over 2 Million

www.opensecrets.org...

Here is BPs PAC Summary..
www.opensecrets.org...

* So when Politico says that over 2 million went to Obama from BP in the election cycle and cites the Center for Responsive Politics...i am confused because I know that org well and use the website regulary to see who is getting payola for thier votes and have searched all over their site and can't find anything remotely close to those numbers from BP to Obama?

If you can help me find where politico came up with those numbers I'd be much appreciated.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
BP is as bad as the big banks are, and in bed with our government.
You did a good job posting this info and thumbs up for you.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11

And from that article...

BP and its employees have given more than $3.5 million to federal candidates over the past 20 years, with the largest chunk of their money going to Obama, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Donations come from a mix of employees and the company’s political action committees — $2.89 million flowed to campaigns from BP-related PACs and about $638,000 came from individuals.

Read more: www.politico.com...

From the Center for Responsive Politics..the place the article sites..

However, Congress voted in 2008 to lift a ban on offshore drilling. These companies are also wary of cap-and-trade climate change legislation, such as the measure Democratic President Barack Obama supports. Yet Obama still received $884,000 from the oil and gas industry during the 2008 campaign, more than any other lawmaker except his Republican opponent, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

Please provide link to above, I cannot find the where you are getting this.

Here are the top 20 industries that contributed to the Obama Campaign...And Oil and Gas is not on it...Again from the same source Politico cited..

That only gives the top 20, where the lowest was $2,915,255

www.opensecrets.org...

John McCain had Oil and gas at #11
www.opensecrets.org...

Here are the Presidential candidates ranked by how much they recieved from the oil and gas industry...Obama at less than a Million, McCain at over 2 Million

www.opensecrets.org...

Here is BPs PAC Summary..
www.opensecrets.org...

* So when Politico says that over 2 million went to Obama from BP in the election cycle and cites the Center for Responsive Politics...i am confused because I know that org well and use the website regulary to see who is getting payola for thier votes and have searched all over their site and can't find anything remotely close to those numbers from BP to Obama?

If you can help me find where politico came up with those numbers I'd be much appreciated.

I noticed you are bringing McCain into the mix. I thought this was about the BP donations, not the industry donation totals. As far as Open Secrets is concerned, look at my next comment.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
From Here-Open Secrets

Coded $284,930,288 (73%)
Uncoded $103,353,467 (27%)
Total $388,283,755

Female 42.2% 140068 $145,907,470
Male 57.8% 179638 $199,743,442
Total $345,650,912

Individual contributions $656,357,572 88% (Notice above comparatively)
PAC contributions $1,830 0%
Candidate self-financing $0 0%
Federal Funds $0 0%
Other $88,626,223 12%

I have said this before and I will say it again. Look at the total numbers folks for ol Transparent Barry. There is a lower limit number where a politician (sleaze ball) does not have to say where the money came from. It is like $200.

ol Sleaze Ball Barry has some interesting numbers in this category. At least McCain released EVERY donation, be it below the threshold or not.

Take a good look at ol Sleaze Ball Barry's numbers.

Obama declined public financing and the spending limits that came with it, making him the first major-party candidate since the system was created to reject taxpayers' money for the general election.

From this link-Campaign Finance Institute Press Release

We know less about people who stayed at $200 or below because $201 is the trigger for FEC disclosure. Obama's staff says that more than 3 million people contributed to his campaign. We cannot verify this number independently but we consider it to be plausible. Since about $156 million of Obama's funds as of Oct. 15 had come from donors whose contributions had not broken the $200 disclosure threshold (see Table 1), accepting the staff's statement (and subtracting the number of disclosed donors) would mean that an estimated 2.5 million undisclosed donors gave a cumulative average of about $62 each. This figure is consistent with the amount CFI has calculated for the typical undisclosed donor in past elections and is also consistent with survey research. Obama's innovation would not be in the amount he raised from each small donor, but in the number of such people he was able to reach. His 2.5 million small donors would be in the same general range as CFI's published estimate for the number of small donors who gave to all candidates combined in 2004 (anywhere from 2.0 to 2.8 million).

Conclusion-ol Sleaze Ball Barry could have gotten money from the Queen of England for all we know. Because the threshold for disclosure was used to hide a HUGE quantity of ol Sleaze Ball Barry's donations.

[edit on 5/26/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by thegiantpeach3

Thanks for the comment. I guess no one wanted to touch this one.

reply to post by crusaderiam

Yes, the oil lubes the banks and the banks lube the oil. Or something like that.

Thanks for the comment.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I noticed you are bringing McCain into the mix. I thought this was about the BP donations, not the industry donation totals. As far as Open Secrets is concerned, look at my next comment.

I brought McCain into the mix, because the article claimed that President Obama recieved more than anyone else from BP and that appears unture by the source the article cited.

I brought industry totals into the equation because the totals for the entire oil uindustry contributions to Presdient Obama are less than what the article claims BP alone gave.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

ol Sleaze Ball Barry .....

Take a good look at ol Sleaze Ball Barry's....

Conclusion-ol Sleaze Ball Barry ....

.....of ol Sleaze Ball Barry's donations.

[edit on 5/26/2010 by endisnighe]

T&C and political baiting policies etc aside...

I was under the (mistaken) impression that you were better than this.

In short I provided links showing that the article was dishonest at best when it claimed that Obama recieved more money from BP than anyone else.

The article...(a) inflated the number (b) innacurately said he racieved money from corporate pacs (c) only compared those innacurate BP reciepts to ther members of congress as opposed to other presidential candidates (McCain etal) who recieved more money from BP through actual PACs than Obama did through small individual contributions etc.

And I supported this with links to the "Center for responsive politics" the very place the politico article claimed as a source.

You responded by pointing out that his campaign failed to give 100% disclosure on it's filings...that is a far leap to assuming that the unspecified individual donors were the BP Corporation....and it is unsupported with evidence.

You instead went straight to baiting...

Like I said, I expected better from you End...and I am unlikely to contribute to one of your threads again.

best wishes.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Well, I believe baiting is when one attacks a position or a political party. Not when one picks on a person in the political public realm.

To keep it fair.

I think Bush was a warmongering pig and was instrumental in the continuing failure of our country. He was a sleaze ball that did nothing about the banksters and the fraudulent way that our federal reserve system has destroyed our country.

Sleaze ball Bush. I am sure he took millions also from the corporate whores that help to destroy our country.

I am not a partisan, I hate sleaze balls from both parties equally. I actually held out hope for people like Sanders and Kucinich, but I see they caved to their lord and masters in the federal reserve also.

Happy now. Damn right I find everyone of the POS in the federal government to be sleazeballs because they put themselves and their hidden agendas above the protection of this country.

How do I know where Obama's money came from? That is being hidden from us by the very laws that are enacted by the said government.

Full disclosure should not just be the law, it should be backed up with prison time for years if not complied with.

Transparency, pffffft.

When was the last TRUE press conference held with Obama ACTUALLY answering questions.

At least with Bush (the hated one) the press held his feet to the fire. What do we get with the media now? A bunch of sycophants that could give a rat's patooty what Obama does. Hell, he could commit murder and the media would back him.

new topics

top topics

join