It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nine US Hospitals Pay $9.4 Million for False Claims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Nine US Hospitals Pay $9.4 Million for False Claims

www.theepochtimes.com

Hospitals in New York, Minnesota, Alabama, Indiana, Florida, Michigan and South Carolina are accused of falsely placing patients under inpatient care when their procedures are minimally invasive outpatient operations.

The allegations arose because hospitals were caught performing kyphoplasty operations under in-patient care. Kyphoplasty is a minimally invasive procedure, used to treat osteoporosis-caused spinal fractures that can be performed as outpatient operations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
ohsonline.com

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The source article goes on to say that the false claims act is most often used with fraud. It has accounted for two point two billion since the first of last year. It also has a whistle blower clause that allows the whistle blower to share in the funds recovered. The statement I am about to make is few and far between, but it seems like the Government might have made a good call on this one.

www.theepochtimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I have a question, the article goes into how the government got it's money. But, what about all the other people that either paid themselves or their insurance paid for it.

This is what peeves me about our government. They settle these cases and that is usually where it ends. The defendants get their backsides covered by the government because now that the case is complete, I am sure the case is settled.

Oh well, at least the government got it's pound of flesh.

Heck, I had broken both of my radii and ulna in a work accident. I had them repaired by external fixaters. The whole procedure took 3 hours and they wanted to have me stay in the hospital and I told them hell no. I was paying out of pocket. No problems whatsoever. Now, if it was someone else they may have convinced them to stay in the hospital. What about those people?

S&F OP, thanks for the read.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Endisnighe
Thanks for the post

You do bring up a good point. The government was just concerned about getting there money back not necessarily everyone who when through the institutions in question. However my experience when dealing with insurance is they are usually pretty on top of things when it comes to paying some one. In the cases listed here it is possible that the government were the only ones who made these payments.

top topics

join