It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Planning To Send Robonaut To The Moon.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Robots are the way forward, eh?

NASA are planning to send a 'robonaut' to the Moon, within 3 years.

Project M is a proposed project to land an operational humanoid robot on the moon in 1000 days (M is the Roman numeral for 1000). The humanoid will travel to the moon on a small lander fueled by green propellants, liquid methane and liquid oxygen. It will perform a precision, autonomous landing, avoiding any hazards or obstacles on the surface. Upon landing the robot will deploy and walk on the surface performing a multitude of tasks focused on demonstrating engineering tasks such as maintenance and construction; performing science of opportunity (i.e. using existing sensors on the robot or small science instruments); and simple student experiments.

Here's a lil animation:

Site link: robonaut.jsc.nasa.gov...

There's a video from ABCNews.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I hope the Robonaut's Moon lander has solar pannels to recharge Robonaut over and over. I don't see any mention of it returning to Earth, as Apollo missions did. So, when it gets to the Moon, (I hope) it should be able to shelter there for further use in conjunction with many additional Robonauts to follow. When they have constructed safe human habitats, then humans can colonize there. Perhaps by then, they will use quantum anti-gravity ships to colonize humans with.

Japan is also sending a walking humanoid robot to the Moon.

[edit on 5/22/2010 by Larryman]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Yeah, I think it would need the solar cells and a long life span...otherwise, it's a major waste of money.

Collonising on the Moon!? Nahh, we need to move further than that

I do have a bad feeling about using robots though. I always keep remembering the whole 'I, Robot' film.

Oohlala, Japan? Thanks for that.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
That seems to be a good method because like the rover, it could be remotely controlled and then switched over to a preprogrammed autopilot mode once it is done with complicated tasks.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
it is a very good idea. it will make bricks from the dust. build a dome like a igloo. thick enough to stop radiation and small micro meters. it would only need a thin skin on the inside foe the air. then set up a factory to build more things. batters solar panels.

I wonder if it will fight with the Japan robot?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
They call this advancement? In 1969 they put a man on the moon and 41 years later they put a robot? Hmmm maybe it's true what some say about humans not being able to survive that radiation belt or whatever it is.

top topics

join