It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

life. just a great big confusing riddle?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
okay, so ive come to a point in my life where i think ALOT. mostly about purpose and things related to that.
and i realized, it doesnt make any sense what so ever.(life that is)
if you look at it on the outer layer, it appears to make sense. but if you go deeper, it doesnt.
whats real, what isnt?
what's sanity, and whats insanity?
what are we(humans) supposed to be doing with our lives?
we're told as kids "go to school, get an education, get a good job, get married, have kids, pass information onto them" and the cycle repeats.
but i think we all know that theres more to life then just that.
i dont know. i guess i just think too much.
or is the confusion just another part of the riddle?
can anyone give me some insight?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I am in the same place you are. That is what intrigued me about your thread, the whole riddle thing. I think it is difficult for people like me who want to know the answers to life's questions. We will never know so many answers.

From your name I take it you are enjoying and taking advantage of life, and I think you are strong for it.

I think in life all you can do is try to enjoy yourself, bring enjoyment to others, and try to avoid causing pain to others. What else is there.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ace High
I am in the same place you are. That is what intrigued me about your thread, the whole riddle thing. I think it is difficult for people like me who want to know the answers to life's questions. We will never know so many answers.

From your name I take it you are enjoying and taking advantage of life, and I think you are strong for it.

I think in life all you can do is try to enjoy yourself, bring enjoyment to others, and try to avoid causing pain to others. What else is there.

thats my exact pov friend.
live your life, dont worry about what othe rpeople think, do what you can to keep yourself happy as long as you dont harm anyone else in the process.
but there are times when everything just confuses me. lol

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by wartooth420

JUMP

[edit on 22-5-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by wartooth420
thats my exact pov friend.
live your life, dont worry about what othe rpeople think, do what you can to keep yourself happy as long as you dont harm anyone else in the process.
but there are times when everything just confuses me. lol

So many things in life can bring you down. For instance, I used to live in Florida and it is one of the most beautiful places in the world, period. Now to think what is happening with the oil leak, I can just hope and pray that it does not completely destroy the ecosystem down there.

By the way, feel free to send a U2U, I would like to get to know your thoughts on life a little better!

Thanks for the post.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy

JUMP

ummmmmmmmm what?

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The meaning of life has become obscured by the pursuit of pointless things such as material wealth... the pursuit of 'stuff'. Like the crow (raven) we adorn our nests with bedazzling, sparkling objects. We must have more than the neighbors next door. It's how we gauge our success relative to another person.

More recently we have become obsessed/fascinated by fame and the pursuit of it. We seek quick, cheap solutions and thrills... metaphorical sugar rushes. We fight over an illusory real estate we call religion. We live in an artificial bubble of meaninglessness. We are the dog chasing it's own tail.

Humans eat so much hollow pie, is it any wonder we are of little substance? Is it any wonder we are dumbfounded and disconnected?

IRM

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
The meaning of life has become obscured by the pursuit of pointless things such as material wealth... the pursuit of 'stuff'. Like the crow (raven) we adorn our nests with bedazzling, sparkling objects. We must have more than the neighbors next door. It's how we gauge our success relative to another person.

More recently we have become obsessed/fascinated by fame and the pursuit of it. We seek quick, cheap solutions and thrills... metaphorical sugar rushes. We fight over an illusory real estate we call religion. We live in an artificial bubble of meaninglessness. We are the dog chasing it's own tail.

Humans eat so much hollow pie, is it any wonder we are of little substance? Is it any wonder we are dumbfounded and disconnected?

IRM

Exactly. It is about who's wife has the most expensive purse, who has the newest car in the driveway. I am lucky to be married to a wife that sees past all that but still when you are surrounded by it, it is hard to escape.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by wartooth420

Originally posted by RRokkyy

JUMP

ummmmmmmmm what?

Let go of everything and grasp onto nothing.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Life here, is something you chose previously.

You were given a choice to be here, and you chose this.

NO Mister Wizard! I don't want to be human on Earth anymore.

You are here. You chose to be here. For just this occasion while you are here.
Live it. Love it. And learn from it.Or hate it. It's up to you what you want to do.

But if you don't learn, you will be back. And you will have chosen to come bsck to this situation,

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
According to some forms of Shinto, the concept of "primal awe" (畏敬 or "ike") is the basis of the divine, and the root of the sacred.

Its a compelling idea, because it seems that awe lies at the base of both religion and rational philosophy. When one accepts the "riddle" of existence on its own terms, it gives rise to spiratual awe. When one wrestles with the basic questions logically or philosophically, this awe manefests as bafflement or puzzlement. Both experiences are related.

[edit on 5/22/10 by silent thunder]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Reply to post by wartooth420

It is not a confusing riddle to be solved. It is very simple actually.

Theres a guy who explained it (his name eludes me right now) similar to how im about to describe it.

Like dancing, if the whole purpose of dancing was to reach a certain point on the floor the fastest, then the fastest dancer would win. But that isnt the point of dancing. The whole purpose of dancing is the dance itself. And so it is with life.

Theres no need to waste your time worrying or philosophizing about life.

Just remember to enjoy every step of the dance.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
uuuh, meaning of life, one of my fav. topics.

What is it? Life is what yopu choose to be. Anyway, the last times it seems to be a two way answer: live wealthy (or try to do it or look like if you were, it doesn't really matters), enjoy fame (yours or others, here is where the famous people gossip magazines appears) and don't even ask yourself about what's life about...

...or don't care about the first two, thank for everything you have and try to enjoy living by being a good person, because if you're aware of life, you're also aware of death, and does fame and wealth help you when you're nothing but a pile of bones and dust in a graveyard?

5:08 AM here. Good night!

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Thehumlbleone is speaking of Alan Watts, look him up on youtube, he has a lot of interesting things to say. Philosophy? He was a Buddhist also.
Alan Watts says life is purposeless. There is no riddle, no answer. The mind causes all the problems in this so called world by believing there is a question that needs to be answered.
Peace will be revealed when we realize there is no purpose, no future, no past. Just this. What is wrong with this moment?
If you can really go in to this moment and feel the aliveness of this (now), of the body, the sounds that are happening now. Life does not exist anywhere but now here. Now here is nowhere.
Love to all.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Could not have said it better

One can wonder, why is there so much noise.. about nothing.
The consept of life we have today is totaly destructive, we destroy everything we touch for money.
Have the notion of past and future and are never home in the here and now.
Either we are stuck in the past or busy with tomorrow, goal and achievment.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Several have remarked on materialism, money, etc. Don't know why these meaningless issues enter the topic, really. Because surely we're all aware that material objects/money are nothing .. no part of the riddle of life ?

I interpreted the OP as querying why we're here at all ? Who/what (if anything) is responsible for our existence ? Where we go (if anywhere) after we exit our material bodies ? And why need we suffer the entire process at all ?

I'm going to return to one of the above posts -- the one which mentioned someone by the name of 'Watts' (I think). Not that I expect anyone, no matter how learned or spiritual, has the answer to the riddle (although many believe they've cracked it). But as I speed-read my way through the posts, the one which mentioned 'Watts' seemed closest to my own conclusions

Several years ago, my father who was quite elderly at the time, said in a neutral voice that despite everything he'd experienced, he could see no real point to life. I panicked, because I didn't want him to die in that frame of mind (I still had vaguely 'religious' beliefs then). So I did the 'little ray of sunshine' speech and rambled on about Life being similar to a school and how we're sent here to learn, blah, blah

In the same neutral voice, he replied, ' No, I don't think that's it. I haven't learned a damn thing, if we're to be honest about it '.

He died a year or so later. But what he said has stuck with me ever since. And now I find myself of the same opinion

Once religious and afterlife beliefs are pared away, you see things much more clearly. And you appreciate what they mean with 'religion is an opiate'. It is. It keeps you drugged and in denial. It sweetens even the most miserable, bitter existence -- because it provides 'hope'. And it's 'hope' that keeps people going, whilst religion makes them afraid to question too much.

Religions ... take your pick ... promises a 'dessert', or 'reward' for living. ' Never mind, Life sucks, but after it's over, you'll go to an adult Disneyland forever and ever '

People need and desperately want to believe that. So they suspend their critical faculties, they obey the rules, they tolerate the intolerable --- all in order they can get to that Disneyland place. And they will defend that Disneyland to their last breath -- so desperately do they need to believe it exists and will be there for them

The more you dispute the existence of their religion's brand of Disneyland, the more they defend it and the more real it becomes to them. They believe their 'god' is listenting and watching and will give them extra gold stars for defending him (most of the gods seem to be male, don't they ... male authority figure gods). They feel really refreshed and 'stronger in their faith ' after a bout of defending it. It's their drug of choice, their panacea --- their lifeline --- their 'answer' to the OPs questions about the riddle of life

Ah well, I've been there -- passed through it. Long journey. Religion and the Disneyland beliefs, etc. etc. got me through a lot. Shame it didn't last until I died. Would have saved me the effort of facing a far less rosy, less ego-centred set of truths --- with which I'm now grappling

Have I learned anything ? Anything to provide a bit of hope ? Don't know. I've seen a few ghosts and had quite a few paranormal experiences. I chose all through that time to regard those experiences as evidence of an afterlife. Not the 'attend church on Sunday' type afterlife message, it's true .... but I was prepared to accomodate that

These days, to my surprise, I find I don't need to believe in an afterlife. I can stand the idea of nothingness at death. I don't need to believe I'll 'continue to exist on some plane', blah blah. Maybe it's just part of growing up, who knows ? Meanwhile, Life isn't that impressive. We're primates. We're not very nice, under all the phony gloss. We live because we're hard-wired to fight to the last breath -- to climb over bodies in order to do so -- to kill, steal, lie and cheat, in order to do so. Some are honest enough to acknowledge that. Others like to cover the stink with platitudes and hypocrisy and lies, lies, lies

Who knows what lies behind it all. Are we an accident -- an experiment discrded or gone wrong -- a curse, a plague --- just an element in someone/something's little game ?

Maybe we'll never know, anymore than a potato understands the reason for its existence

But I'm fine with it, either way

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

no life is common sense, it is your free positive sense

you surely as a human have a free sense but this is the fake one, you think that free sense is the one where you are proud about being existing and you can objectively prooving it by meaning if you want to be present through, from what you know being able to achieve alone or what you might make others do for you
so this is random sense that is fake, you believe that this is your living sense and you act as living from so that is why life as a concept objective whole become confusing with that sense of yours

true free sense is the sense free where you are positively existing as moving alone freely, so it is you and positive not in needs or wills

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

Of all the avatars I've ever seen

yours is the most memorable

disturbing

fascinating

hypnotic

and although I can't put my finger on it, try though I may, it's as if I've seen that scene .... or will

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

yea exactly it is about resistence more then anything else

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
just to proove how right is alive of absolute realisation lol

we have an equation with two unknown elements, the perfect equality of those elements is what set the absolute fact reality

life is positive free move

life is resistence to all others moves

the positive free move is the perception of life from inside it
resistence is the perception of life outside of it from others more powerful dimension of free move over that life dimension objective limits

it shows how you can deal with others expressions of free positive lifein certain conditions limitations, of course when others are same positive free move it is the perfect combination since it would be itself objectively living and each one free to mean whatever he wants

now the problem is how each positive move freedom is unik, it is only one absolutely, so the concept of resistence is a must to be right

also of course how you can appreciate the concept of else, which mean having a reality perspective of truth, how you grow in truth as true same then truth life when you consider else in truth
but of course on a superficial level of , it is simply the appreciation of what is right too as else, not meaning changing yourself for, but respecting its rights truly as you would love to enjoy yours

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join