It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glistening Galaxies Tend to Cluster in Busiest Parts of Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Glistening galaxies preferentially occupy regions of the universe containing more dark matter, astronomers have found.

Article Source

Using a super-sensitive camera/spectrometer on the Herschel Space Observatory, astronomers, including a UC Irvine team led by Asantha Cooray, have mapped the skies as they appeared 10 billion years ago.

The UCI scientists found that these glistening galaxies preferentially occupy regions of the universe containing more dark matter and that collisions probably caused the abundant star production.

Cooray, associate professor and Chancellor's Fellow in physics and astronomy, said: "Thanks to the superb resolution and sensitivity of the SPIRE [Spectral and Photometric Imaging Receiver] instrument on Herschel, we managed to map in detail the spatial distribution of massively star-forming galaxies in the early universe.

Glistening galaxies
...I have never heard of these. So does the Dark Matter make them glisten? I truly love hearing about these discoveries. Our technology has come so far. Just in the last 10 years we have been able to gain so much knowledge about the Universe. I can only imagine what we'll know in just 50 years from now.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

...these glistening galaxies preferentially occupy regions of the universe containing more dark matter and that collisions probably caused the abundant star production.

I wonder if they're talking about starbust galaxies?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I don't think that's a technical term.
I think the writer was waxing poetic.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think the writer was waxing poetic.

I fully agree, glistening in the eye of the beholder as it were.

top topics

join