It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Website That Makes Facebook Users Life an 'Openbook'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

American software engineers and developers have unveiled a website that allows you to search through the status updates of Facebook users across the world.

Article Source

The site, Openbook, hunts for status updates written by people who haven't set them to private.

For example, a search for "sad" returns over two dozen status updates posted within the last 60 seconds, by users.

A user from Canberra said: "pretty good day today (: bit sad that i cant go to netball
"

Another from Phoenix, Arizona wrote: "Had so much fun at applebee's! hahaha
tonight was sad but good."

The search results throw up each user's name, photo and a link to their profile alongside the full text of their status and can be filtered to include only men, only women or everyone.

I think this was inevitable, as long as a site (Facebook in this case) does nothing to fix the flaws that expose people's privacy, you'll have organizations like this that will exploit said privacy issues.

Albeit I feel this was done with the intent to show just how easy your private info can be shown to one and all. An interesting tidbit in this article though that might get you thinking in regards to status messages.

(Or) thieves could look for status updates indicating people would be out of town on extended vacations.

Think it doesn't work? Try it yourself... YourOpenBook.org

[edit on 5/20/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Ha! I like how whoever made the site took the quote from Zuck. I dunno...I use Facebook, but check my privacy settings on a regular basis just to make sure they haven't changed something without my knowledge. Knowing what I know now, it probably doesn't really matter what I do as a user. If they want information from my account, they will get it and distribute it as they please.

It's sad that a website that has brought so many people together, is secretly seeking to eff people over however they want.

Times they are a-changin'...rapidly.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

(Or) thieves could look for status updates indicating people would be out of town on extended vacations.

I think I will start posting that I am out of town....then sit back with a loaded gun and wait

Seriously, I scolded my wife last time we got home from vacation, as I discovered that she had posted the dates we would be out of town before we left.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I'm always checking my privacy settings are at maximum on that site, even though I don't have information on there that would cause me any personal grief. I've always found websites like that to be fallible at best. People who aren't very tech savvy will always be the prey, but sometimes it seems like facebook are trying to trap people into unwittingly shedding their information to a dubious audience.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I've just spent 20 min+ playing with Youropenbook. It is nice (ha,ha) that my ex still thinks about me.

Thank you UberL33t for bringing this site to my attention.

Face book is something I refused to join and now I am going to have some mischievous fun demonstrating to those who called me paranoid.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by invetro

Facebook own everything you write or put up on their site. They can use and sell any info you put up including pics without informing you, and there is nothing you can do about it since you agreed to these terms when you signed up. I always tell people to stay clear of social networking sites like bebo,facebook and myspace. Of course everyone just gives me that distant, cannot comprehend such an idea sort of look. Of course it's doubtful you will be the person who's info is used in such a manner, but i don't know how anyone could use a site that even has such a policy.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Solomons]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Like I said, I don't put information on facebook that I wouldn't put on a public forum such as this one. I'm not worried about the policies that I am well aware of, because my fb information is not anything damaging. My DOB on there isn't accurate, and the only thing I do is keep up with distant friends. It's good that way.

The best that you can personally do is to warn people, but don't expect them to stop using a site altogether if they are gaining positives from it just because you don't like it.

I'm more concerned with my ISP or bank selling my REAL information to sinister individuals, not from my false data or lo-res useless images being sold on.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by invetro

my fb information is not anything damaging.

Likewise...and who knows, maybe I'll be discovered by Hollywood and become famous because of my grainy pics.

I have one on there from about 2 Halloweens ago. I went to a Rock themed party, and I dressed as David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust, I was a hit

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Interesting site. It doesn't surprise me that it's been introduced. On the flip side - there are new sites performing just the opposite scans...

Here's one that is aimed at scanning your FB account to monitor your privacy/security levels/settings.

reclaimprivacy.org

It doesn't really do anything that a FB user couldn't do themselves to set their options. But, for those that aren't paying attention, it may pick up something they've missed.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
That's why I don't have a FB status anymore. And that's why I got twitter

I'm daughter of one of my friends and my brothers are my best friends, there's no useful data laying there, and I can keep in touch with old friends. Oh, all privacy setting at max too, just due some nasty stlkers I have (and they're woman!) the same on my twitter account.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Hahaha, sweet. Hopefully this helps wake people up to how bad facebook can be for your real 'status'.

I searched my workplace on there out of curiosity and one of the posts was from someone complaining about something that was my fault, haha, wow. I work retail btw.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Everything that touches the internet is known by somebody somewhere - If you're scared just go live off-the-grid somewhere... it's the world we live in.

But be smart! Like no posting you're out town.... duh

I like this Openbook thing! I sent friend adds to a few random people in countries I've visited lol

[edit on 21-5-2010 by Thermo Klein]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
OMG! Type in "merry christmas eve all, have a safe new year." FAT ELVIS!!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Try 'domestic terrorist" once.

An eye opener.

Think the gubment has their computers running the different permutations on the ENTIRE internet, just like this one for only the one site?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I really don't know why you are so afraid...

i think it is still "default" setting that only friends can watch statusmessages... when somebody is so stupid and opens it for everyone... it's his own blame...

i still see no problem with facebook and privacy...

and if you don't wanna stay in contact with friends online and are afraid that fbi/cia are interested in your statusmessages ... well then please leave facebook ^^

cheers

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

sent friend adds to a few random people in countries I've visited

That's neat!

top topics

join