It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philly's Liberty Bell Center, streets evacuated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Philly's Liberty Bell Center, streets evacuated

PHILADELPHIA – A balloon filled with a powdery white substance was found Thursday at the downtown building that houses the Liberty Bell, and the immediate area was evacuated while hazardous-material testing was under way.

The Liberty Bell Center building and National Park Service land around it, including Independence Hall, were evacuated, and part of one street was closed to traffic after a guard found the balloon at the visitors entrance around 2:30 p.m.

Testing on the substance was first done at a lab set up at the scene, FBI spokesman J.J. Klaver said. The powder was found to not b
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

[edit on 20-5-2010 by alchemist2012]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Seems like after a bunch of dry runs they seem to have stepped it up a notch.with this thing near the Liberty Bell is this just the start of a string of attacks .this may turn out to be something we just have to keep a eye on it.

And with the Government all eyes on the oil spill i think this would be a time to sneak one in.and with the last thought maybe the oil spill was not a accident could be some foul play going on to cover up the real threat

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I had the curious thought that maybe the powder was used to make the nozzle slip in better to air the balloon.
Why would any harmful powder be put in a balloon? An envelope or package I can see but a balloon just doesn't sound like something that would be useful for something harmful.
OTOH maybe it's drugs. I haven't heard much on the news about this. Probably a false alarm.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I was thinking that someone could have put a dangerous powder in the balloon (perhaps helium balloon) so that when/ if it pops the powder spreads. I know, far fetched.

The idea of the powder being there to help the nozzle go in seems right, but "balloon filled" is what gets me worried. Who fills a balloon with powder to get the nozzle on?

I believe this will turn out to be nothing.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Not a lot of information, not even a link.

Was the balloon inflated or not? Balloons can be a way of transporting drugs, or even something else.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Here is a link...looks like it's probably nothing...

Edit - Turns out they are saying it's flour...
www.ajc.com...

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Survivorman]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by darklife
I had the curious thought that maybe the powder was used to make the nozzle slip in better to air the balloon.
Why would any harmful powder be put in a balloon? An envelope or package I can see but a balloon just doesn't sound like something that would be useful for something harmful.
OTOH maybe it's drugs. I haven't heard much on the news about this. Probably a false alarm.

That was my first thought. Ever been down to L.A. and seen all the balloons littering streets? Heroin.

But after reading the last post I'm pretty sure some 8 or 9 year old is giggling his butt off right now.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by antonia]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Survivorman
Here is a link...looks like it's probably nothing...

Edit - Turns out they are saying it's flour...
www.ajc.com...

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Survivorman]

Exactly what I thought it would be. I seem to remember a place that used flour to get the balloon to go over the nozzle like I said.
People freak out about anything anymore. A little common sense would help out the world.

new topics

top topics

join