It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French bill to ban veiled faces and impose fines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
OK I'm not muslim and I'm not a woman but isn't introducing this law borderline racism by the French. What will it be next banning sikhs from wearing a turban! Maybe issuing a fine if you're wearing something unfashionable like flares or a boob tube.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/accdac53372f.jpg[/atsimg]

Anyway here's the story 18 May 2010 22:44:37 By SYLVIE CORBET

A bill to ban Muslim veils covering the face to be presented to France's Cabinet on Wednesday calls for fines and, in some cases, citizenship classes.

The bill turns on the "dignity of the person," rather than security issues as many speculated would be the case, according to a copy obtained by The Associated Press.

Article 1 of the bill stipulates that "no one can wear a garment intended to hide the face in the public space." The ban covers streets.

The divisive legislation proposed by the conservative government of President Nicolas Sarkozy is to go to the lower house of parliament for debate in July and to the Senate in September. There is little doubt the bill will pass despite opposition.

Sarkozy set the machine to ban burqa-style veils in motion last June when he said such garments were "not welcome" in France, which has western Europe's largest Muslim population, estimated at 5 million.

The bill calls for a fine of euro150 ($185) for those breaking the law and eventual citizenship classes. The measure creates a new crime -- inciting to hide the face -- and anyone convicted of forcing a woman to wear such a veil would risk a year in prison and a euro15,000 ($18,555) fine.

The National Assembly, or lower house of parliament, is to start debating the bill in July and the Senate in September. The text, which could be amended in the process, also foresees a six-month delay in its application to explain the law to the public and mediate with recalcitrant women.

The Muslim community has voiced concern over the planned legislation, saying it stigmatizes them as they battle what Muslim leaders say is growing Islamophobia.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The only way to destroy a religion is too sexualise the people in it. Thats why they want so many muslims in the west, and to integrate them into our society.

Its the only way to weaken there beliefs, like they did to christianity.

But if the females live there they should obey there laws, and they could always leave if they do not want to obey.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
The laws being passed? The focus the the bans? The building code restrictions? They are like swatting at flies on a pile of poop.

Until people recognize that Islamic Jihad is the problem, these one-off attempts to thwart the advances of Islam are nothing more than tiny victories for the House of Islam.

Jihad Europe will start in France, with their huge number of "youths". Indeed, there are many "youths" in European cities these days. There was a time when Europe was able to recognize the advances of an invading army.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Seriously though.

How easy would it be for one of those skinny terrorists to put a burka on.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
What if the women CHOOSE to wear the burkas? Isn't that violating their rights? Then again, I'm not sure about the people's rights in France.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
What if the women CHOOSE to wear the burkas? Isn't that violating their rights? Then again, I'm not sure about the people's rights in France.

Of course it is. Its a basic violation of the freedom of expression, no doubt. The French can't see this because they HATE muslims. Of course given their laws its illegal for them to express that fact in words, unless those words are written as law.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

There was a time when Europe was able to recognize the advances of an invading army.

Gets my vote for Comment of the Week

Wonder how many will recognise it's value ?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The sooner the burqua and affiliated table-cloths are removed from the West, the better, imo

They are a monstrosity on so many levels and an affront to the reluctant host nations' populace

When in Rome .....

heed it, muslims

or depart, pronto

thank you

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I approve this ban.
though I would much rather prefer to see the banning of religion in the west. And if there are any hubands that refuse to let their wives leave the house? Punish him for cruelty.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
If they tried to walk into a bank dressed like that where I live, they would be arrested, pronto.

(thread necro
)

[edit on 21-7-2010 by Ecidemon]

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I think to many French the veil represents the oppression of women. Masks are actually against the law in the US. We make exceptions for celebrations. If the French police would go to Christian marriage ceremonies they would get to give out more citations. The bride wears a veil. So much for tradition.

posted on Jul, 21 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
It's another freedom lost, as simple as that. People should have the freedom to dress pretty much as they please.

Arguments like this don't impress me much:

"How easy would it be for one of those skinny terrorists to put a burka on."

A terrorist will put on a disguise and blow things up no matter what the law is.

It reminds me of the signs at the store "NO MOTORCYCLE HELMETS". It's pointless, it just stops some peoples freedom to quickly run into the store. Any criminal wearing the motorcycle helmet as a disguise will just ignore that sign anyway.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The new ATSLive Euro show discussed this very issue on their first show. An interesting discussion that you can hear at www.illustrial.net...

[edit on 25-7-2010 by Freedom ERP]

join