It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Pesticides Cause ADHD?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Can Pesticides Cause ADHD?

abcnews.go.com

A study published today in the Journal of Pediatrics says that one type of pesticide commonly used on fruits and vegetables may be contributing to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, or ADHD.

Researchers took urine from over 1,000 participants ages 8 to 15 and analyzed it for pesticides. 119 of the children had symptoms of ADHD. Those with the highest concentration of pesticides were more likely to have the disorder, according to the study.

"It's consistent with other studies that have looked at organophosphate pesticides and have found that exposure of children to organophosphat
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com
www.cnn.com
news.google.com

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
As if we needed another reason to start growing our own produce, here comes a study linking pesticides with our children's development.

How about this quote from the AP article:

Almost universally, the study found detectable levels: The compounds turned up in the urine of 94 percent of the children.

94% ? Seems very alarming, to me at least and yet with this kind of percentage, reps from an association that represents pesticide manufacturers has this to say:

"All crop protection products are extensively reviewed by regulatory agencies before approval for market use. Many scientific factors are examined by government pesticide regulators, based on extensive laboratory testing, all of which are intended to guarantee safety for the environment and people, including children. The class of crop protection compounds that is the subject of this study has been approved and registered by the US EPA and when used according to the label, the EPA has determined it to be safe," CropLife America said.

Oh, OK, it's approved by the EPA so it must be safe... yeahright..

Grow your own, or visit your local farmer's market to avoid the pesticide tainted produce.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Lead pipes to transport water... naw, lead works perfect for that.

Why are we letting kids eat poisoned food? It really is ridiculous, how many people are brain numb in this country? If we start abusing health at an early age, from that will stem a multitude of other problems. That isn't hard to figure out.

Farmers markets still aren't always organic.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by ghaleon12]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This may be a cover to get us to look in another direction. I agree with the people who believe that lead causes ADHD, but we need to look at the facts. Obama is talking about implementing a Pesticide Czar. I'm not saying that I'm causing serious waves, but I keep seeing more & more reports about pesticides since I've started sending letters questioning the Agent Orange Benefits Act. The Clinton administration passed the benefits package since men were coming home from Vietnam & Korea & having babies born with Spina bifida. I started a thread about this, but nobody really responded or seemed to care too much about it. I'm still writing my letters to Clinton & my governor though. I'll continue to research this until I get to the bottom of it. I really don't see how they can say that one part of the population gets stricken with Spina bifida because of pesticides, while the rest is caused by a folic acid deficiency during pregnancy. Something is getting covered up.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Afterthought]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Sorry, double post.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Afterthought]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
To help those who may want to take the plunge and start growing your own, pesticide free produce:

Square foot gardening produces hefty harvest in smaller space

Imagine getting the same amount of garden produce using only 20 percent of the space you used to plant.
As added incentive, you’ll also have healthier plants, fewer weeds and less physical strain when it comes time to reap what you’ve sown.
That is the gospel according to Mel Bartholomew; a grinning, gregarious man in a straw hat who wanted to revolutionize the way Americans grow vegetables.

And a couple of excellent threads found on ATS:

Square Foot Gardening for Hard Times and Survival by member/Supermod worldwatcher

Large Backyard Planter by member Doc Velocity

It take some time and effort but it is sooooo very rewarding..

[edit on 5/17/2010 by JacKatMtn]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
And how is "safe" defined?

Pesticides/insecticides are also promoted for home use, with commercials showing homeowners upset over crawling and flying things, whose anguish turns to happiness as they are told how to protect their loved ones and their way of life by using pesticides.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I have been screaming this to everyone I know for a while now......
almost 70% of our foods have geneticall modified ingredients in them. Mostly corn GM corn is poisen itself, any part of the corn that a bug eats will kill it. BUT WE ARE EATING IT TO!!!!!!!!!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
It's a vicious circle, one that involves lots and lots of money..

How much money is generated by making sure that there are plenty of our children diagnosed with ADHD? Who's getting paid? How much money is made by the prescription drugs Big Pharma wants to shove down the kid's throats to keep them drugged and docile in school?

Until there is a huge turnover in Congress, "Throw the bums out"

there is little hope for change, and these things will continue, think about that come November here in the US... while you fill your pantries with homegrown and pesticide free food

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Here is a link to my personal experience with pesticides used by the logging industry. the area this refers to has seen a huge die off of it's residents since this article was written. Sudden liver and kidney failure takes a lot with sudden onset type II diabetes and heart attack filling out the major effects of exposure.
Bouts of community wide anxiety and depression are the norm.
My wife was the office manager and P/A to the country doc so was privy to the health problems which clustered around the times the sprayed the clear cuts.
To put it in perspective it is like living in Viet Nam as helicopters rain agent orange substitutes down on the people below, some of which were studies actually done I am sure would out toxic the old school agent orange.

Now after some years my whole family has nerve damage and a variety of health problems from a decade of living in the forest. And I have lost almost 40 neighbors/freinds to this problem since.
It is compounded by the fact that even if you go to a hospital because you were sprayed here. It will not be recorded as such and even if proven with photographs the heftiest fine is around a thousand bucks.
Less than an hrs time running the helicopter used cost.
I could go on into a book length account of the systematic poisoning of the land and people in logging country but will leave it for another post.
N.

www.eugeneweekly.com...

Scroll down to chemical refugees for our story.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by N.of norml]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
This is interesting information, but I would caution everyone to remember an old axiom "Correlation does not equal causation". The problem with pinning it on pesticides is there are a number of substances that stimulate nerve activity. Caffeine and certain food dyes will make kids hyper, of course sugar does that too. Do we have any data on the rest of their diet? Certain behaviors foster short attention spans (i.e. TV viewing) as well. There would need to be some data on that as well.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by antonia]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this interesting information!

Yeah! ADHD is currently running rampant among kids in the western world of today, and the cause for this has to come from somewhere right?

Until recently the "good scientists" were looking at possible causes for the ADHD explosion by analysing each possible cause separately - for an example:

They check the vaccines and say; well! we can't be sure this is the cause of ADHD - sure, there are some ingredients which are not so good for growing kids if they are overly exposed to them - and in large quantities they can be toxic for their growing brains.

Then in the same way, they're checking out food additives in all our food and say the same - Well! each of them separately are not so dangerous - but it's not good for the growing children in large quantities, and the combinations of all this additives can be harmful to growing children.

So each food additive on their own it's not harmful to their Lab Rats - but the combinations of all these additives and chemicals can apparently be harmful to rats and (therefore maybe?) growing children, and the combinations of several additives and chemicals could interact with eachother and produce harmful results!

And how many different additives do we now have in every factory processed food product on the shelves in our grocery stores?

Well! factory processed food products here in Europe could according to them contain between 10 to 40 different additives/chemicals each - in general.

And most scientists until now, have only researched each of these food additives and chemicals SEPARATELY!

And now we also have this additional info from some 'good' European scientists telling us that some GMO food stuff definitely are giving their Lab rats & hamsters some organ failure problems and other crazy defects.

By checking all these things out separately they will never find the real causes behind the problems, and the pesky morally corrupt Corporations are of course well aware of this.

Therefore, I was very happy to read that some Swedish "good" Independent scientists had begun to seriously look into all the different combinations of chemicals, pesticides and food additives - you know, stuff that our children are exposed to in their every day day life by eating & drinking and from our modern environment - the combinations of these chemicals together with other harmful chemicals from plastic bottles, containers, cups etc etc.

And they now believe that it is the mix of certain combinations of different chemicals that are behind all these problems - and not each thing separately.

Well Duh!
I could have told them that ages ago!

I'm going to keep my eyes open about some more information on this, and see if I can find some more info regarding this on the net.

But I think these studies have recently just started, so maybe we have to wait some more time before they're presenting the results as scientific papers.

However! I can bet that there are now very powerful interests & Corporations who don't want this kind of information to be published. But Swedish & Russian scientists are most of the time acting morally correct, and are usually not afraid of American Corporations and their influence - these scientists are often quite good about publishing their results without giving in to corporate pressure. Especially in cases like this when the future and the lives of children in their own countries are at stake!

S&F

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Chevalerous]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Thanks for that contribution

It does make alot of sense that it is the cumulative effects of numerous factors and not usually a single cause.

I hope those researchers come up with some connections, in the meantime..

I am green thumbing it.. for my own peace of mind.

top topics

join