It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most homoerotic movie moments ever!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

Could be, but one must be careful not to pathologize men today or in history.
I think as with women, men distinguish between a quick encounter and a friendship.
This is one of the tensions between erotica and sex.
(And one should recall that only the sex act itself was legislated.)
Ideally the two should come together in a partner - at least in our Westernized culture.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I'm not pathologizing men ,can't do that but everyone pathologizes themselves in some way

and as a culture we do that to our children like when I was little my parents wanted me to wear pink alot,I hate pink! always have but I'm girl and I'm supposed to like it apparently

as far as pathologizng men, well that isn't me I only observe and ask questions

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Cool, not saying you did, just suggesting that we must be careful with assumptions and individual readings of film.
If men are closeted it seems like less of mother fixation than fear of violence, humiliation and even religious damnation.
Then many people also find attractions immensely personal (but isn't "the personal" constructed by the political?).

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

sure it is ,I just did a little reportage on Eric Massa and how he was this closeted gay Representative(New York )
with really poor impulse control living in a house with his male staff members and putting the moves on them
but at the same time married! with kids!
so yeah social norms play huge part ,you have to keep the illusion up or you get thrown to the wolves

but it only has to be an illusion

I'm for everybody being what they are no illusions the illusion causes all sorts of grief and even murder if there is enough at stake ,truth is much better for everyone

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The War Boys.
A very strange scene that posits the "ordinary" against the "extraordinary" setting of the US/Mexican border.
It's so sad in that movie, because in that scene there is real attraction, hope and potential - but one knows that same-sex and mixed-race relationships are always doomed in US movies.
Why is that?

Before the larger issue of the film becomes clear, one character falls into a cactus, and a homoerotic bond is rekindled while picking out the thorns. This "thorny issue" leads to a fully gay relationship in later scenes.

Somehow we all know it's a doomed attraction.
Isn't it always?

edit on 27-8-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
House: The good doctors House and Wilson.

I think they changed my life.
An unbeatable performance, and continual irony from the characters that both supports and undermines their deep relationship.

What is a marriage?
Many theorists have asked that.
Milton eventually argued that marriage is not about sexual intercourse.
Marriage is about companionship.
Marriage is to save a man from the evil of loneliness and solitude.

In that sense - in my homoerotic reading - House and Wilson were a couple.

Maybe to others they were just comrades.
But dear Lord, they were fantastic characters and on-screen comrades.
Maybe the best ever ...

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Boys on the Side.

Movie magic between Whoopi Goldberg and Mary-Louise Parker.
A rare exploration of AIDS in the "ordinary" heterosexual space for that time.
It's just devastating to think how many wonderful people were lost.

Anything You Want:

edit on 28-8-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
All nice scenes, but usually when things like "disease" happens, the friends fall away.
One might not think so at first, but it's a lonely, clinical path.
So it is best to cherish whatever friendship, camaraderie or love that one has.
It's usually a matter of holding on; because it's not going to get any better than "now".

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
i've heard that in ancient Japan there was no concept of homosexuality

and to my knowledge disease was not associated with it either in Sparta or Ancient Japan
maybe disease doesn't have to be part of the equation

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Oops, double post, please see next post.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I agree, disease doesn't have to be a part of homosexuality, and in the Victorian age men were known to turn to male prostitutes because they were considered safer then the pox-ridden female sex workers.
So before the age of AIDS since 1983 homosexuality was considered safer in some practical ways, also because it avoided pregnancy and bastard children (who according to the Bible may not enter the congregation). Of course these were unofficial responses that were hardly discussed openly, and they navigated the other sexual institutions that were open to colonial males, such as the widespread concubinage of native women, which constantly raised the problem of racially mixed children and whether they should enjoy the rights of the colonizers, or be dumped with the colonized.
The very procreative potency of heterosexuality was thus openly praised as what made it inherently good and "Godly", but it was also problematic in a colonial setting.
In colonialism and any wars with a racial aspect the colonizing males usually regard themselves as superior over all other groups, and just beneath their white male image of the divine, and that narrative is always inherently homoerotic.

However, if we look at film and the homoerotic then same-sex contact is very much mediated by the body, and the body that is wounded, or otherwise justifies the extension of normal friendship through some physical distress that requires comforting.
One will rarely find homoerotic love or contact in film that just presents itself as romantic love, and that is also true of even openly gay film.
It always has a context that initiates the physical closeness, and that facilitates a sense of understanding from the audience.
It is open to debate whether that is a good or bad thing in film, or the fact that such relationships eventually end tragically, which then reinforces heteronormativity.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I'm a huge fan of south korean cinema. A lot of their movies are about close male bonding and usually lots of man against man buttock beating.

Then to top all that there's Frozen Flower... Just what the OP asked for.
Based on a true story and starring hot Korean actors In Seong-jo and Ju Jin-mo, both wearing long hair and looking better than Pitt and Banderas in Interview with the Vampire.

Here's a music vid tribute someone made.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Thank you so much for making me aware of that epic material, and truly exquisite beauty.
It seems that Western audiences are rarely exposed to global films like these, and in SA only Bollywood is gathering some mainstream appeal.
Interesting that from what is shown homoeroticism between men, and its mixture of death-drive and eros, is very similar across cultures.
I agree, compared to these men Banderas and Cruise look like two old drag queens in "Interview with the Vampire". But I guess Hollywood was reluctant to make that scene "too hot" for mainstream audiences at the time.

One should consider the other mainstream Hollywood material at the time, like "Dances with Wolves". This avoids both any hint of homoeroticism and race-mixing (the other big taboo), and the white protagonist conveniently finds a white woman to marry. In that sense it is more conservative than even previous Westerns.
Thus the early 1990s seemed a quite conservative period for mainstream cinema.
It is still conservative, if one considers that third gender people, or "Two-spirit People" amongst the Native Americans were already depicted in "Little Big Man" (1970).

edit on 30-8-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

just wow! wiget!!!

I have got to see this movie!!!! i love Chinese epic cinema! clearly the protagonists in this film go from lovers to mortal enemies
looks like a tragedy,i have to work into watching them .

two exquisite men wow

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The Spartans:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I watched Frozen Flower

I'm probably going to cry for days wow what a great movie
it has everything a good tragedy should plus great acting and gorgeous lush highly detailed sets and production values
first rate

that final scene is indescribable
edit on 8/30/2011 by MrsBlonde because: spelling

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The Mission.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

wow that was heartwrenching

what're you trying to do to my heart here

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

If it's the heart of a man I'd like to tear it up; and then to build it up again.
(Macho movie cliche.)

Maybe it's just important for people to realize again that they have a heart in the first place?

People are not just "liberals" or "tea party conservatives".
They are human beings.

Thinking of so much, but I'm glad somebody enjoyed the clips, or even viewed them in the thread.

I guess eventually every man and woman must make their own meaning and interpretation.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
well maybe I do have the heart of man halfloldman

I honestly don't care if anyone is gay

but I have noticed that gay people seem to dis heterosexuals (that is to say me)

once there was this gay guy in my work place and one day he went on a rant against 'breeders' I was shocked at the naked hatred he was giving off and Isaid ,"seems to me your parents are breeders and if it wasn't for them you wouldn't even be here"

he shut up i told him after that I didn't care for that kind of talk,now lets be friends and forget all this nonsense

so after that there was peace in our little corner of the world (I bet he still hates heteros though)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join