It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most amazing UFO sighting ever in U.S. history was in 1950

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
As I recall in the 1950's there were a lot of UFO sightings. It has been assumed that it was a result of the detonation of nuclear weapons during WWII and later.

I know there were sightings in the late 50's at Twentynine Palms Marine base. Heck, my whole neighborhood saw a cigar shaped object. The Marine Corps was testing W33 dummy projectiles then to evaluate their effectiveness as tactical nukes. I think the howitzers' gun tube was a deuterium-tritium composite of some kind.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacevisitor

Originally posted by Norio Hayakawa
THE MOST SPECTACULAR MASS APPEARANCE OF UFOs in U.S. HISTORY TOOK PLACE IN 1950 IN FARMINGTON, NEW MEXICO

Sure, these were undoubtedly very important in the annals of UFO sightings history.
But when it comes to the most amazing sightings ever recorded in the U.S., nothing can even come close to what transpired over the skies of Farmington, New Mexico in 1950.

Thanks for posting this really marvelous case Norio,
that must indeed have been one hell of a sighting.

I did release the rest because I saw that Argyll posted that already in his link named HERE.

reply to post by Argyll

[edit on 17/5/10 by spacevisitor]

Thanks, spacevisitor.
I am basically a healthy skeptic when it comes to UFOs, and especially when it comes to beliefs in UFOs as physical alien spacecraft.
However, when I read items like this, it makes me wonder.
The town of Farmington at that time (in 1950) had only a few thousand people.
It was in the height of the Cold War period. The people there, I am sure, were cooperative to government agents in many ways.
First of all, unlike today, most people never walked around carrying heavy cameras. So, probably, if any photos were taken at all, they may have gone to Washington, DC.
Also, it is my understanding that the ownership of Farmington Daily Times changed hands........
I have to check into that more.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
maybe the town got some bad water that caused hallucinations. either way, it was 1950, camera's couldn't have been that expensive.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

It is documented by the reports of the townspeople that they were also visited by government types, and told not to talk about this incident. One could be forgiven therefore for thinking that theres a good chance that the evidence which MAY have been recorded by the public, was taken by those same officials. After all , theres little point in telling someone to keep quiet, and then ignoring the hard evidence they may have in their possesion.

Norio, if that's the case it certainly wouldn't be the first time the USAF informed people not to release (or confiscated) photographs of unidentified flying objects:

Link

Link

Thread

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jrags

Indeed, two of my favorite cases come from that era:

1952 Washington DC
en.wikipedia.org...

1956 RAF Bentwaters/Lakenheath
www.nicap.org...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
In New Mexico, in the 1950's? Military balloons would seem to be a conceivable explanation...much like Jaime Maussan's "UFO fleets" in Mexico....

They may not have been balloons, but Maussan's silvery balloon UFO fleet was the first thing I thought of when I saw the artists conception of the farmington Armada at UFOevidence.org:

www.ufoevidence.org...

And those balloons do seem to dance around the sky in a crazy fashion sometimes. So maybe it wasn't a skyhook balloon but a fleet like Maussans? who knows. Some pictures would be nice.

The witness statements are inconsistent, as expected:

"Moments later there appeared what seemed to be about 500 of them," Boddy continued. He could not estimate their size or speed, but said they appeared to be about 15,000 feet high.

Marlow Webb, another garage employee, said the objects to the naked eye appeared to be about eight inches in diameter as seen from the ground. He described them as about the size of a dinner plate."

Estimated altitude: 15000 feet
Estimated size: Dinner plate

Can you really see dinner plates at 15000 feet? I doubt it, but if you could I doubt you could estimate the size as it would just be a speck. That's almost 3 miles away.

"They appeared to be coming at each other head-on," he related. "At the last second, one would veer at right angles upward, the other at right angles downward. One saucer would pass another and immediately the one to the rear would zoom into the lead."

I've seen balloons move like that.

But the cotton fuzz explanation doesn't seem to fit.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

reply to post by Norio Hayakawa

I have to make a correction to this item.
The sightings actually began on March 15, 1950 and not on March 17, 1950.
The sightings took place on March 15, 16 and 17.
The newspaper article came out on March 18.

Which makes it all the more surprising there are no photos. I can see people getting caught off guard the first day, and maybe the second, but you'd think some people would have their cameras ready by the third day. I see there's speculation about whether photos were confiscated, I guess we can't rule that out, but I haven't run across that claim by a witness.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Hey OP, and All,
Other than Norio Hayakawa, I find nothing worthy of taking notes on--sorry. Norio on the other hand has done his research. Especially what he a nd Collins went through during their crop circle stuff in England appx 14 years ago. They caught something, while them, themselves were were being 'chopperfied'.

Decoy

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Norio Hayakawa

There's a really good presentation on the event below Norio!

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

Seems for some reason the David Marler presentation about the Farmington flap has been removed from the internet (good page here about his research though).

Here he is discussing Farmington with Richard Dolan - also brought up is Dr McDonald's research on the case, other UFO sightings from the same time and area and Menzel's erroneous assumptions and force fit debunk.

See 10:40

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Thanks for posting that video Karl. Ill check it out.

Hey. Norio blog or post these days? I always liked his presentations. Always smiling. Always passionate. Usually had cases ive never heard of.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Hola mate, Norio's still updating his blog but unfortunately hasn't posted on ATS for quite a bit - when it comes to UFO origin would have to respectfully disagree with his current theological 'demonic' angle but certainly empathise with his comments below (as I think the temporal factor is a really important one).

"The UFO phenomenon appears to me as a temporary, paraphysical intrusion into our physical dimension by an unknown intelligence or unknown sentient entitities, paraphysically materializing themselves to a “pre-selected” observer (or a group of observers) and presenting to the observer as a physical extraterrestrial phenomenon and visitation."

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 12 2019 @ 12:43 AM
link   

The beauty of Norio's ideas are how they've changed over a dozen years or so. We see enough guys who stick to the same ideas they had years and years ago. They won't change, they don't adapt and it shows they don't revisit their own ideas or they'd show some progression. He's hit a few blind alleys and had a finger or two burnt, but it seems par for the course in that State. A very busy scene and maybe a nexus for lots of stuff and primarily the weight of the military industrial intelligence machinery.

It doesn't hurt that some of my own speculations overlap with his (/cheesy grin)

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

In complete agreement there mate and let's hope he keeps on researching and formulating ideas on the subject - I know I've changed my tune a bit over the years when it comes to origin (and I know nothing can be ruled out) but I think I'm basically as clueless now as when I first started looking into the subject.

* Just to be clear I meant 'temporal' in the time context and not the 'opposed to spiritual affairs' definition.

edit on 20-2-2019 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   

That was a great video Karl and the link with the photograph was intriguing to say the least.

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Cheers Bally - Dave Marler goes into more detail about Farmington in the podcast below.

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Cameras were not common place in 1950 Podunk New Mexico.

Sorry to all, whining about lack of photos.

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Cameras were not common place in 1950 Podunk New Mexico.

Sorry to all, whining about lack of photos.

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: cagliostro
reply to post by Jrags

Indeed, two of my favorite cases come from that era:
1952 Washington DC
en.wikipedia.org...
1956 RAF Bentwaters/Lakenheath
www.nicap.org...

there's a 3rd item I will point out & it sounds like a UFO dog-fight like in 1950 but hundreds of years earlier in Germany

notfromearth.org...

Hans Glaser was a German journalist from the early 16 century. He is famous for his wonderful yet peculiar woodcut illustration of the events of April 14, 1561, in the German city of Nuremberg. The work depicts weird objects in the sky and haze coming from fallen objects on the ground.

The woodcut came along with a description which we translated into English. Namely, it talks about round objects hovering in the sky and engaging in a fierce encounter over and over again.

picture of woodcut that is on link:

edit on th31157211696226092019 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join