It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Efficency Of The Ignore Feature

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Recently I've gotten a few U2Us that were negative in nature, and downright catty from people I don't know but that either didn't like my opinion in a post, perceived political stance, or simply felt the need to constantly U2U me if any of my posts were found to be erroneous in regards to some particular fact, with the equivalent of a Nelson Muntz from The Simpsons derisive: "Ha ha!"

Normally I simply respond by telling them to please keep the discussions in the thread where they can be monitored by the MODs and to stop sending me U2Us, because clearly they want to say rather rude things to me that they wouldn't in public. However if they continue to U2U me anyway, and this has happened, I tell them I will put them on ignore.

I do this, and still get another U2U either right away or a week later when they feel the need to start things up again.

I found out that when you do put someone on ignore, not only can they still U2U you, but they can also post angry information to your profile page!

To me this defeats the whole purpose as it seems ignore only makes their posts invisible, yet if someone wants to constantly harass you after you repeatedly told them to stop the U2U's there really is nothing to stop them from doing it.

I'm just curious as to why ignore doesn't shut off other contact options to the persons you place on it and yourself?

Is the solution to just keep deleted U2Us and profile posts from the people you have on ignore?

Should ignore cover this automatically, which would be easier I believe, or do we really have to go and contact a MOD over this?

Thanks,

- Lee

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
anyone who uses the ignore function on ATS should be banned imo.

the ignore function doesnt just encourage ignorance, it adds a whole new level of ignorance to this forum!

do you know people have ignored me for my avatar in the past! i mean, wtf is with that.

every one should have the chance to air a view on this forum, even if it is completly pointless and or stupid!

the site motto is deny ignorance YET we have an ignorance button built into the site ... its kind of crazy imo!

[edit on 16-5-2010 by boaby_phet]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
You shouldn't ignore people, just deal with the problem head on.

If they're really hassling/harassing you via U2U, then report it and mods will look into it...

I wouldn't worry about it too much though tbh... people disagree on here all the time and many people get funny and petty when you argue or show them up on a thread.

Just keep doing what you're doing and just ignore them without putting them on ignore... there really is no point.

And as for banning contact altogether, Not sure if that's possible or actually necessary... if they're breaking T & C's then report it.... if they're just being assholes then deal with it and argue your point back... or just delete the messages and comments from your profile page.

[edit on 16/5/10 by blupblup]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The "ignore" button is only a physical manifestation of the stance you should be taking anyway.

You should not be answering back to an idiot. You should ignore them and move on. If they persist with U2U's, which would be unlikely if you were ignoring them, then contact the administrators.

Your fault is that you entertain their nastiness and silliness and wonder why they keep it up.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I've never used the ignore feature.

I think it's kind of a cop out really.

If your being harassed either by U2U or in a thread, just alert the mods, they will deal with it.

Especially in a U2U setting, the rules are taken very seriously and your profile as well.

I find the ignore feature to be completely useless and should be removed. I don't think it's healthy for ATS to encourage people to just not deal with somebody as opposed to encouraging proper debate.

Abusive actions should be reported so that those posters can be removed from our good community

~Keeper

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
If you have asked a Member to stop sending you communications, and they continue, PLEASE contact one of us and let us handle it..

Terms and Conditions

2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, hateful, intolerant, bigoted and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

Semper

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I ignore a few people - but it's relative, I don't actually use the "Ignore" button, I just don't bother reading their posts or threads.

It's not a feature I've given much regard, because even though there are a few people on here who I have little regard for - there's the potential there that they might post something of interest to me at some point in the future.

I've been put on ignore by a couple of people, who have stated that in threads - I hate to use the term, but it does make me ROFLMAO.

I wouldn't accept abusive u2u's - definitely report them, that's totally rude.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Hell, I welcome any and all U2Us. It's such a buzz to get U2Us, only most of the time it's mods with the "Yo dawg, yo' post was off topic".

I never use the ignore feature and I don't add respected foes. I did have one dude report a post of mine and he felt like he was a total badass for doing it. It wasn't even directed at him, either. Just because I disagreed with his point of view he thought he'd do it and try and taunt me.

Long story short, the dude was a retard. Anyway, this is a little off topic but the foes list of mine cracks me up. Some skating goober, a Slipknot fan and some dude that I kinda provoked for no reason other than to provide me with some cheap entertainment have added me as foes. I'm flattered.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
The only time i had someone on ignore was by accident, my clicky finger had a little fit while scrolling down the page.
I personally think ATS should get rid of the feature...never had any U2U's either. Must not be provocative or special enough in my posts.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
the ignore button is like sticking your fingers in your ears because you don`t like whats being said. if your being harassed the mods should sort it for ya. copy the U2U`s and forward them to a mod thats what i would do.

i do have one guy on ignore but thats coz his avatar is a head thats spining fast and it gives me sore eyes. i might see if he changed it yet now you remind me.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
People please! This person has felt so strongly that she has written a thread about this issue of harrasment on ATS. "Deny Ignorance" is the motto here, don't berate the person because she has had the courage to speak up. ATS is filled with a diverse spectrum of people and just like in life some are less concerned with the truth and more concerned with bullying other people to accept their view.....

I find it very sad that even here on these boards, a person gets called a cop-out or wimp for wanting to remove certain individuals from their ATS experience. I've had many a vicious battle of words over the years on ATS and NEVER! have I had people berating me by U2U. Sort it out mods and ban the idiots responsible for this persons worries......

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The OP is right that the ignore feature really should encompass the other features of ATS besides just posts and threads, as the site evolves I would have figured the feature would evolve as well.

As for the reasoning and use of the Ignore feature I think if more people around here actually used it then perhaps the mods would have an easier time of things and we could get on with other stuff besides the usual bickering in threads. If Person A finds themselves unable to avoid commenting on Loser B's posts and threads in a heated fashion then they shouldn't hesitate to hit the button and put that person on ignore. I've used it from time to time to keep posts of pure stupidity from my eyesight or to avoid posts by members that I knew I couldn't get along well with.

Its not ignorance to press a button, its utilizing a feature to augment or enhance your experience on the site. People have every right to speak their minds (within the T&C of course) and on the flip side of that coin I have every right to use a feature of the site to remove said speaking of the mind from my view if I don't care for what the person is saying.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Every time of of these threads comes up with a member query about the "ignore" feature lots of folks seem to jump on the seeming paradox of ignoring a member and the ATS mantra "deny ignorance."

On the surface this is accurate, for:

Ignore:

1. to refrain from noticing or recognizing: to ignore insulting remarks.

-ance:

a suffix used to form nouns either from adjectives in -ant or from verbs

Ignorance:

the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.

However it should be noted that we all ignore people in our lives for a plethora of reasons on a daily basis ... this does not by definition make us either ignorant, nor does it mean that when we do so, we are not denying ignorance.

If one's overall attitude is one of being closed to everything but what they believe then they would indeed be living in ignorance, but selectively choosing to bypass/ignore another person because one suffers as a result of that person is not only not ignorant but in fact rather wise.

I just wanted to note that ...

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

posted by Helig

If Person A finds themselves unable to avoid commenting on Loser B's posts and threads in a heated fashion then they shouldn't hesitate to hit the button and put that person on ignore. I've used it from time to time to keep posts of pure stupidity from my eyesight or to avoid posts by members that I knew I couldn't get along well with.

Although I would never use the Ignore feature (for many reasons) I think you nailed it as to why it's a great feature. If it helps you avoid breaking the T&C by lashing out or fighting, etc, then by all means use it.

I do understand the OP's concern about this. I will bring this up with staff.

[edit on May 16th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Wanted to add....

Please contact staff if you are ever being harassed by another member or having issues that you can not resolve. Let us step in. This is our job.

Use the : ATS Complaint / Suggestion form (Please Use This Link)

Do not hesitate to ever use it.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Usually the people who hate my posts just don't reply to me.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
anyone who uses the ignore function on ATS should be banned imo.

the ignore function doesnt just encourage ignorance, it adds a whole new level of ignorance to this forum!

So ignore is wrong but banning someone who uses it is okay?

Isn't that permanent dismissal as opposed to temporary?

I mean you CAN take a person off ignore and I would imagine un-banning would be more difficult.

Considering that I didn't even fully understand how the feature worked, I would imagine that you could draw the very accurate conclusion that I seldom used it.

I got the functions of ignore completely wrong...so I used it inadequately and it served no purpose.

Originally posted by blupblup
You shouldn't ignore people, just deal with the problem head on.

As I said in my post, I tried to do that.

I have no problem discussing an issue but with someone simply wanting to find various ways of personally attacking you the best solution isn't to sit there and keep asking why. I choose to just walk away at some point.

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
I've never used the ignore feature.

I think it's kind of a cop out really.

A lot of people are saying they wouldn't use the "ignore" feature in this thread, so I'll just reply to this particular post to encompass my response to all of them.

I didn't really want to debate whether or not I should use the ignore feature. Apparently I already have and I had no problem doing so in the future, although now I see that using it won't create the desired affect I initially intended. If you don't want to use the feature, more power to you!! It's there for a reason if you use it or not.

I think most of you are missing the context in which I am stating I have tried used it, or you simply have not read my first post fully.

I am not ignoring someone to shut off their opinion from a reasonable discussion. That is another matter entirely. Please separate the two in your mind if you can. I already know the difference. Please also take note of the fact that I actually stated to the people who have U2U'd me that I wanted them to keep the discussion WITHIN the thread itself and not sent privately to me with the hopes of hitting below the belt by circumventing the mods and using the pretense of further debate.

If they wanted to continue the discussion then what is wrong with using the thread itself? Especially if you really aren't looking to further the discussion privately and just state the same thing you already posted, just with harsher tones?

Get it?

Example: "You think like this because your a stupid "lefty/right-wing" nut-job buffoon."

Now if you think this sort of unreasonable and presumptive attack is worthy of some sort of further discussion then I suggest you never use the phrase "don't feed the trolls" and simply indulge in a worthless back and forth. I like the option of not responding to a post, but not the idea of having someone keep hitting up my inbox and constantly deleting their messages.

Calling someone names in a U2U isn't exactly considered a discussion, telling someone to stop sending such messages to you is the furthest thing from a cop-out.

It wasn't about stopping someone from discussing a topic, but rather to stop them from sending you attack-messages privately.

Hey, this is the internet folks.

The option of Banning and Ignore are in place for a reason and using either is not a sign of defeat. There are certain things that you may find inappropriate that you don't want people saying to you, your children or other members. I don't feel the need to even justify using ignore at all in the context of which I stated in my opening post or otherwise, really.

I was trying to find an easy way to avoid further U2Us and not simply ban someone entirely.

Originally posted by Phlynx
Usually the people who hate my posts just don't reply to me.

Lucky you.

In any case, I think I got the answer I needed.
Some came in the form of a U2U.
Hey, I guess some people can use them properly!

So anyway thanks to everyone who contributed all the great responses to this thread, and I look forward to ignoring all of you sometime in the near future.

I'm out,

- Lee

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The "Ignore" button, judicially applied, can be a very useful tool.

Sometimes a person just needs a break from a given individual and not the whole board.

Eventually, one of the ignored persons will be the essential post in a thread, so they have to be taken off ignore, anyway.

It's better to ignore than it is to stick one's foot in his mouth.

I know this.

[edit on 2010/5/31 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I love the ignore button. Cleans up the threads somewhat.

My only complaint is you can only ignore ten people. I would like to ignore thousands of people. Not seeing page after page of idiocy is a good thing in my books.

top topics

join