It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find giant oil plumes under Gulf

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Will capping BP's payout for damages at $75 million suffice in lieu of applause at ATS? Will you go to bed then? Sadly, I know many will be dancing in the streets if BP gets off the hook for this. You said propaganda=persuasion. You may persuade some, I may persuade some but my agenda in confronting you in your non-stop spin is to deal with the grief and horror I and many others are feeling over this ongoing event.

I hope that your agenda isn't all about tomorrow's market but somehow your presentations today have had the smell of investors' anxiety all over them.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisCrikey
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Will capping BP's payout for damages at $75 million suffice in lieu of applause at ATS? Will you go to bed then?

PLEASE, quote anything I've said suggesting I'd like BP to get off scott free.

Sadly, I know many will be dancing in the streets if BP gets off the hook for this.

You've got some odd friends.

You may persuade some, I may persuade some but my agenda in confronting you in your non-stop spin is to deal with the grief and horror I and many others are feeling over this ongoing event.

Have you sold off your car for good? Have you purchaced or begun piecing together a biodiesel processor system to produce your own biofuel? If not you don't have much to say, considering that you're now a hypocrite like most other armchair environmentalists. I can say I have taken these steps. Can you? Can any of you? Stop projecting your self-guilt onto everyone else, everybody. If you use petro it's your fault too. Stop being victims and do something about it. Obama and the rest of the psuedo-environmentialist corporatist puppets aren't going to do anything about BP's sloppy mistakes, which means you're going to have to get off petro if you want change.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Hi!

I did some calculations on the volume of these oil plumes and I'm sincerily hoping that I've miscalculated or estimated something.

These oil plumes have the maximum diameters of 16kmx5kmx90m which gives 16000m x 5000m = 800 000 00 m^2. Lets halve that because we're not expecting the plume to be a square: 400 000 00m^2.. Then give an estimate on the average plume thickness: maybe around 20m. That sums up to 800 000 000m^3 of volume in a plume.

Now, the news said that these plumes are consisted not of pure oil, but a mixture of oil and water.
0.1% concentration would give 800 000 m^3 of oil in one plume
1% concentration would give 8000 0000 m^3!

The worst ever recorded oil spill is according to wikipedia was 1360 000-1500 000 tonnes of crude oil.

1 m^3 of crude oil weighs around 800kg= 0.8tonnes.

Even with the concentration of .1% this very well rivals the Gulf war oil spill.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
This is just sick, I don't care that BP is losing money...

Hell I don't even care if this drives the prices of gas to $5 dollars

prices will go up...and BP will get the money they are losing back...with interest.
they are paying now...but we pay later.

Originally posted by muse7
I'm sick of this crap, I seriously think we urgently need a massive natural disaster to kill of much of our species so we can start over again and bring back balance to mother Earth.

Just as long as you survive right?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Has anyone yet suggested a mass email/word-of-mouth/bill posting campaign to try to get the people to boycott buying BP and/or Haliburton affiliated fuel and products.

Or is it too hard for Joe Average to be bothered to travel an extra mile down the road to support a small independant gas station?

If every ATSer spent $5 bucks for a ream of printer paper (500 sheets) and some $ for the ink. we all print off a flyer and then walk the neighbourhood's

We could all promote our local gas stations that ain't sucking offa BP or HB...

[edit on 17-5-2010 by CitizenNum287119327]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Being against BP is all fine and dandy but our government should have put more resources into helping clean this mess up and then recover the costs from BP afterword.

Why leave it all to BP, its so immature.

"hey its your mess, we're gonna demonize you and wait for you to clean up your own mess while it destroys the environment" Bull F*in sh*t clean that crap up, then sue bp for the 100B or whatever it cost to CLEAN IT UP FAST AS POSSIBLE.

BP also only ran the rigger, they didn't build it. And while they don't seem to be cleaning it up fast enough, THERES PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO CAN AND SHOULD BE HELPING WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT THEN JUST POINTING FINGERS

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Computer models show oil may have been propelled into Atlantic Ocean

NEW ORLEANS - BP said Monday it was siphoning more than one-fifth of the oil that has been spewing into the Gulf for almost a month, as worries escalated that the ooze may reach a major ocean current that could carry it through the Florida Keys and up the East Coast. BP PLC chief operating officer Doug Suttlessaid Monday on the TODAY show that a mile-long tube was funneling a little more than 1,000 barrels — 42,000 gallons — of crude a day from a blown well into a tanker ship. The company and the U.S. Coast Guard have estimated about 5,000 barrels — 210,000 gallons — have been spewing out each day. Engineers finally got the contraption working on Sunday after weeks of failed solutions — however, millions of gallons of oil are already in the Gulf of Mexico. Crews will slowly ramp up how much oil the tube collects over the next few days. They need to move slowly because they don't want too much frigid seawater entering the pipe, which could combine with gases to form the same ice-like crystals that doomed the previous containment effort.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
Has anyone yet suggested a mass email/word-of-mouth/bill posting campaign to try to get the people to boycott buying BP and/or Haliburton affiliated fuel and products.

Or is it too hard for Joe Average to be bothered to travel an extra mile down the road to support a small independant gas station?

If every ATSer spent $5 bucks for a ream of printer paper (500 sheets) and some $ for the ink. we all print off a flyer and then walk the neighbourhood's

We could all promote our local gas stations that ain't sucking offa BP or HB...

[edit on 17-5-2010 by CitizenNum287119327]

We're stuck with this oil mess mainly because nothing is able to come to market. Whether it's BP, HB, Exxon/ Shell... Hell, Exxon had a Zero tax burden along with GE here recently. They take their money and buy out all competition to their product/ service.

The only thing I could suggest to people is pick one oil company at a time, and completely ban using product for at least 2 quarters of the calendar year. The second would be for the our Governments to step up to the plate, demand these companies be dismantled, and then award contracts to new ideas. A combination solar, electromagnetic, hydrogen source for all vehicles.

Let oil be utilized primarily for manufacturing. Gas is a waste product anyhow... That's why it's pushed so heavily to consumers. We're easy pickings.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Americanist]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlasherOfVeils
Being against BP is all fine and dandy but our government should have put more resources into helping clean this mess up and then recover the costs from BP afterword.

Why leave it all to BP, its so immature.

"hey its your mess, we're gonna demonize you and wait for you to clean up your own mess while it destroys the environment" Bull F*in sh*t clean that crap up, then sue bp for the 100B or whatever it cost to CLEAN IT UP FAST AS POSSIBLE.

BP also only ran the rigger, they didn't build it. And while they don't seem to be cleaning it up fast enough, THERES PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO CAN AND SHOULD BE HELPING WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT THEN JUST POINTING FINGERS

I share the same thought process... Plus you would have a massive amount of leverage to do what needed to be done afterwards opening up a lawsuit or the dismantling the company for asset reimbursement.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

You may persuade some, I may persuade some but my agenda in confronting you in your non-stop spin is to deal with the grief and horror I and many others are feeling over this ongoing event.

Have you sold off your car for good? Have you purchaced or begun piecing together a biodiesel processor system to produce your own biofuel? If not you don't have much to say, considering that you're now a hypocrite like most other armchair environmentalists. I can say I have taken these steps. Can you? Can any of you? Stop projecting your self-guilt onto everyone else, everybody. If you use petro it's your fault too. Stop being victims and do something about it. Obama and the rest of the psuedo-environmentialist corporatist puppets aren't going to do anything about BP's sloppy mistakes, which means you're going to have to get off petro if you want change.

Very few consumers are hypocrites... They're stuck with current market conditions. How many people have 8k to prop up solar panels on their roof? I'm sure we wouldn't see so many foreclosures, if that sort of money was laying around. Same goes with the cars we drive. Do you have 90k for a Tesla Roadster? How about paying an extra 10k for a hybrid mix vehicle. Have you compared the difference on payments at 48 and 60 months? How about electricity bills?

The game is rigged from banking on down. It doesn't take too hard a look at the "market makers" to figure this out. Provide solutions... Not smack talk your fellow man.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Has anyone here found new video from the robots showing the oil flow after the "fix" was applied. I haven't been able to locate any, as far as I'm concerned put it on CSPAN like previous poster(s) have stated.

We need some truth.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Wow. Okay so a huge oil conglomerate who is filthy rich and backed by an infinite number of lobbyists and politicians causes a natural disaster and the whole human race should be exterminated? Thanks all you Hitlers out there. Sounds like "environmental extremism" to me. If you really think the human race should be exterminated, then why do you allow yourself to live? You use carbon just like the rest of us.

We have been forced into being reliant on carbon-based fuels by auto companies and electricity companies. Two of the most important things in our day to day lives are electricity and automobiles. So go ahead, blame all of humanity for the mistakes of an elite few, but don't be so self-righteous as to exclude yourself. You are as much to blame as the rest of us.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidmann

Originally posted by FearNoEvil
Every day that goes by, I blame Obama.

Right now, Obama needs to get in BPs face and demand BP consider alternative solutions. Obama needs to sit in the damn meetings and use his brain, determine a solution and force BP to execute it.

What a slacker!

He is busy. It seems he wants to recriminalize a natural herb. That would help his friends in big pharma, since the prozac in the water isn't cutting it.

I know it has been a few hours since the last Obama-Antichrist thread was posted and you guys are jonesing, but this is a thread about the Oil Spill.

Troll someplace else.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
No new video, but I did find this story:

Worry that Gulf oil spreading into major current

NEW ORLEANS – BP said Monday it was siphoning some of the oil spewing into the Gulf of Mexico, but worries escalated about the ooze reaching a major ocean current that could carry it through the Florida Keys and up the East Coast. BP PLC chief operating officer Doug Suttles said Monday on NBC's "Today" that a mile-long tube was funneling a little more than 42,000 gallons of crude a day from a blown-out well into a tanker ship. That would be about a fifth of the 210,000 gallons the company and the U.S. Coast Guard have estimated are gushing out each day, though scientists who have studied video of the leak say it could be much bigger and even BP acknowledges there's no way to know for sure how much oil there is.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986
Wow. Okay so a huge oil conglomerate who is filthy rich and backed by an infinite number of lobbyists and politicians causes a natural disaster and the whole human race should be exterminated? Thanks all you Hitlers out there. Sounds like "environmental extremism" to me. If you really think the human race should be exterminated, then why do you allow yourself to live? You use carbon just like the rest of us.

We have been forced into being reliant on carbon-based fuels by auto companies and electricity companies. Two of the most important things in our day to day lives are electricity and automobiles. So go ahead, blame all of humanity for the mistakes of an elite few, but don't be so self-righteous as to exclude yourself. You are as much to blame as the rest of us.

Bulls-eye on the point being made... Now target the bastards.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Video from earlier:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Whistleblower: BP aware of safety problems

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Loop current could spread oil into Atlantic

www.msnbc.msn.com...

More oil comes ashore

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I watched the news earlier today and they said it was 3 miles wide by 10 miles long and 1500ft off the ocean floor - then this evening they said there was no plume and it was no danger and wildlife is not being affected, yet the other day there were a bunch of fish and dolphins that washed up that supposedly died from something other than the oil.....

Yesterday they said the insertion tube failed and was not going to work, but now today they say the tube worked perfectly yesterday? Will we ever get the real story?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by I.C. Weiner
I watched the news earlier today and they said it was 3 miles wide by 10 miles long and 1500ft off the ocean floor - then this evening they said there was no plume and it was no danger and wildlife is not being affected, yet the other day there were a bunch of fish and dolphins that washed up that supposedly died from something other than the oil.....

Yesterday they said the insertion tube failed and was not going to work, but now today they say the tube worked perfectly yesterday? Will we ever get the real story?

Hear no Evil, See no Evil... "lalalala!"

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Thought ya'll might be interested in this, I just heard about it on our local news. The University of Texas Energy Institute is hosting a webcast for the public going over all the aspects of the oil spill. It starts at 10:00 AM CST til 12:00 CST.

“Oil in Troubled Waters” Public Forum to Examine the Cause, Consequences and Cost of Spill in the Gulf

streamer.beg.utexas.edu...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join