It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Spill - SOLUTION FOUND! Claims Alabama Man!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I think this will work! What do you think??

Breaking News, Mississippi Press »
Way to stop Gulf oil spill? University of Alabama professor says method 'will absolutely work'
By Ben Raines
May 14, 2010, 2:07PM

(University of Alabama)Philip Johnson, a University of Alabama professor, told the Press-Register that a possible solution to the oil leak at the Deepwater Horizon site in the Gulf of Mexico "involves additional gas injection into a deep point on a pipe."After reviewing video footage released Wednesday by BP PLC, a University of Alabama professor says a common industry technique known as "gas-lift" could be used to collect oil from the Deepwater Horizon spill before it is released into the Gulf of Mexico.

"Having reviewed the video of the oil spill, I now know of a way to collect that oil that will absolutely work, is not hard to rig up, and that is very familiar to BP," Philip Johnson, wrote in an email to the Press-Register. "Basically it involves additional gas injection into a deep point on a pipe."

Officials with BP, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the Department of Homeland Security did not immediately respond to inquiries for comment about Johnson's suggestion.

Johnson is a co-author of an industry text entitled "Standard Handbook of Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering" and teaches a variety of courses to oil engineers all over the world, including one on gas-lift design and optimization.

He said the technique is often used in marine archeology, in addition to the world's oil fields.

Johnson said the technique would take a larger pipe than the one BP is considering for a second try at capping the oil flow using a containment structure, this one called a top hat.

"The gas lightens the fluid in the pipe and carries it upward," Johnson wrote of his idea. He also wrote that the procedure works at depths "far greater" than the 5,000-foot depth of the sea floor at the leaking well site.

Johnson said the technology involved "will work, and it is not nearly as difficult as the top hat they are trying now."

Johnson said the gas used to carry the oil upward could simply be air pumped underwater from huge compressors sitting on ships at the surface. He likened the mechanism to a "big vacuum cleaner."

"If BP can slip a smaller pipe ... into the open end of the leak and gas lift it with air injected into a coiled tubing string inside the inserted pipe, it will vacuum-up the bulk of the oil. The lifting process will even pull the introduced pipe firmly into the open end of the riser," he wrote.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by discl0sur3]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
BUMP- This is important, finally a REAL solution!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I clicked on this thread with an entirely different idea of what it was you were going to talk about....

Google Video Link

I am disappoint.

This is better than Russia's "just mininuke it..... its what we do" idea.

I don't understand exactly how this will work, but if I did it may be a great solution. Hopefully this professor is right and BP is smart enough to listen to him.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I was flipping thru channels this morning and on CNN they had a number up that BP gave them asking for solutions from anybody with ideas. That firmly let me know how deep of sh*t we're in. That's like me getting in an accident, taking my car to a body shop, then coming home to see a commercial from THAT body shopy asking for help from anybody to fix my car.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I'm amazed no one will use concrete. If the stuff is offloaded from boats into a floating funnel (on a barge) then it can be piped down the 5000 feet. Because concrete is heavyier than water the weight of falling 5000 feet down a pipe, would cause it to leave the pipe at great pressure. If concrete was injected into the well, (or maybe lime and concrete in two seperate pipes; to control the drying time, by adding more lime) then the pipe could be clogged, or even sealed; since concrete sets under water (providing it doesn't become too dilute in water).

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Keep up the good work Earth Much Love!
2nd

top topics

join