It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maryland First State to Bar Schools Releasing Tests to Military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

ANNAPOLIS, Md. - A first-of-its-kind law bars public high schools in Maryland from automatically sending student scores on a widely used military aptitude test to recruiters, a practice that critics say was giving the armed forces backdoor access to young people without their parents' consent.

School districts around the country have the choice of whether to administer the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery exam, and ones that offer it typically pass the scores and students' contact information directly to the military. Topics on the test range from math and reading to knowledge of electronics and automobiles.

Continued at link

Source

Now I don't know about the rest of you but when I think of schools passing information on directly to the military for recruits, the first thing that comes to mind is anger and the thought of cannon fodder.

Either way GO MARYLAND!!!!!!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Rather silly considering the ASVAB is not a required test and usually only admistered to those seeking a career in the military. The only thing the ASVAB is used for is the military if you dant want to go into the military why take the test in the first place. Recruiters will get your information through other means most of the time most likely so the law is meaningless and pointless.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

Well, I know that when I was in school, a couple of kids actually got suspended for refusing to take it. The ASVAB was mandatory at my school.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Ever hear of the selective service registration?

They already have to sign up.

This is pretty much pointless except for making the students take the test a second time after they leave school. The second test score is usually lower than the first. Why? Don't know. Wait time after graduating allows time to forget some of the things they learn I guess.

This measure won't reduce the induction rate but will likely get bright kids put into jobs that offer less opportunity and training than they would have gotten with scores out of school.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStormCrow

Yeah isn't it mandatory in some places? I think my brother had to take it and he wasn't really into that kind of thing in the first place. Either way, I'm proud of my state now. Go Maryland!

We rock.

new topics

top topics

join