It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Giant Oarfish, The Sea Serpent Of Yore, Washes Up in Sweden

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fe3c7866f5a9.jpg[/atsimg]

A specimen of the 11-foot-long giant oarfish - the world's longest bony fish - was found yesterday in Bovallstrand, Sweden. The fish, also known as the "king of herrings," hasn't been seen in Sweden in the last 130 years.

On May 11, a giant oarfish (Regalecus glesne) was discovered on Sweden's western coast in the village of Bovallstrand. Kurt Ove Eriksson, who discovered the fish, initially thought the behemoth was "a big piece of plastic." The dead king of herrings was taken to the House of the Sea museum in Lysekil, Sweden. The museum had this to say about the fish:

The last time we saw a King of Herrings in Sweden was in 1879 [...] We don't know much about the species [...] but believe it lives in deep waters, at least 1000 meters (3280 feet) deep, and many believe it's at the origin of the sea serpent myth.

Wow what a big fish! I wonder how that thing would taste cooked over a fire.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I can imagine that with a little lemon sauce and a few chips, some mushy peas and batter, that this would taste lovely.

Sadly though, I doubt it is one that we are likely to see again for sometime.

Unless of course, someone puts some serious money into researching this beastie.

It's an amazing creature!

join