It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Terrorism Resulted in Increased Racism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Three things to consider here:

1) Question as stated in the title: Are people more racist in that they'll view "Arabs" and "Muslim-Americans" in a bad light? Is there still blanket prejudice against mosques and Muslims just because of the recent actions of some extremists?

2) Is America MORE or LESS racist compared to previous decades? Since the proliferation of Internet, alternative views and exposure to other cultures?

3) What do you think of immigration? Do you think it helps or worsens America's standing in the world? Do you think it exposes America to danger? Are you for or against the tightening of immigration laws, like, in Arizona, and what is your personal take on immigrants?

My responses to my own questions:

1) I would say, YES.

People actively take efforts to shun men wearing turbans. They give weird looks to dark-skinned men with beards. It's horrible but it's true. I'm seeing this happen around me. Two men wearing Muslim robes walk into a coffee shop and people get up to leave or to change seats.

2) I would say, LESS.

I am Asian-American myself, and I think it's amazing that previous Asian cultural and religious products like sarongs, Buddhism and pop songs are making their way into American mainstream. I find it a good showing for America, that it's improving America's standing as a global powerhouse. After all, NO other country in the world can boast a cultural diversity as America's. Diversity is there, HOWEVER, some racist ideas need to be re-evaluated.

3) Immigration is good for the economy, historically, it lowers wage rates and improves productivity, allowing for companies to hire more for less, and to have greater output and economic growth for lowered costs.

At the same time, it allows for a diversification of American culture. When we think American culture, we think fast food, we think Hollywood, but now, we also think of a melting pot of cultures, of views, of New York City.

I think airport rules and certain immigrant laws like background checks should be in place, but they should be open to waiver IF and ONLY if incoming immigrants can prove their loyalty to America. After all, the NYC almost-bomber was a naturalized US citizen, and look what happened.

I also believe that blatant, unrefined BLUDGEONS of laws like the ones imposed by AZ's governor are completely unfounded and insulting. It is a blanket assumption that all Mexicans crossing the border will dredge AZ's economy, and that is terribly untrue.

Anyway, I'm also proud of the increased appearances of Asians in the media, from Secretaries Steven Chu and Eric Shinseki to Lucy Liu, John Cho and Li Na.

Thoughts and comments please!

[edit on 12-5-2010 by KarlG]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I saw the other day a video of "america" with the presence of several different people, from different countries all saying "we are americans".

But that was never the issue around the world. If you live inside the US, you are tolerated even as a Hispanic, Chinese, etc, sons and daughters born in there.

But when you are actually FROM a different country the real treatment begins.
There's no welcome anymore, just a big sign: Go back!

And since the BIG Lie of 9/11, the treatment went crazy towards Islamic religion.
All because of the Lie made by George, Colin and Donald about the "grasp" **real evidence** of WMD in Iraq, and as dumb George said "to smoke'em out" of Afghanistan.

And its pretty clear now that the US Gov considers EVERYONE IN THE PLANET a "potential threat" to the US because "they don't know you". Ok, sure. So that gives me the right to say this right back "we as the world don't know the US gov", we are LEARNING the Fraud tactics, the big lies, the constant discrimination, the death of innocent people etc etc etc.

So USA is a big
on the subject.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I don't think there's more racism. I think though that it makes existing racism more acceptable to spew. It allows racism to hide behind patriotism and security. The people who hate Muslims hated them to begin with or are extremely ignorant if the acts of a few caused them to hate an entire religion. I can't wait to see what God has in store for these people when they get to heaven and he says "you hated who"? They will sheepishly hang their heads in shame.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Terrorism is used by many groups.

What most Americans are concerned with is violent Islamic Jihad carried out by muslim soldiers sent to engage in open warfare in the streets of our cities.

We're not too worried about the "Terrorist" boogie man. We very worried about the very real violent Islamic Jihad by muslim soldiers.

There's a difference. Jihad is not Terrorism. Jihad is holy obligation.

So, you see, it has nothing to with race and everything to do with religion...Islamic religion.

[edit on 12-5-2010 by mike_trivisonno]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Of course it has.....and like most other things you can blame a large portion of it on the MSM. However, when there are continued acts by a certain group of people, eventually, you will see more mistrust and anger turned towards them. In not all instances is this racism......

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
TL;DR ATM but replying to the thread title alone.

In Australia, where I am at least, I have definitely noticed racism towards muslims. I have spoken to people who, after I asked questions, admitted they have never even met a muslim, yet [hate] them basically. No violence or anything, but just racist ideas.

I don't see the sense in this, I think there must be a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock. It makes no sense whatsoever to hate someone whom you have never met and as far as I can tell, it can ONLY be the result of the mainstream media.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by GobbledokTChipeater
TL;DR ATM but replying to the thread title alone.

In Australia, where I am at least, I have definitely noticed racism towards muslims. I have spoken to people who, after I asked questions, admitted they have never even met a muslim, yet [hate] them basically. No violence or anything, but just racist ideas.

I don't see the sense in this, I think there must be a few kangaroos loose in the top paddock. It makes no sense whatsoever to hate someone whom you have never met and as far as I can tell, it can ONLY be the result of the mainstream media.

First: What's TLDR ATM?

Something something at the moment?

Second: No offense to you, but Australia is pretty darn racist. Wasn't there a news article recently about some Indians being attacked on different dates? One was set alight in his car?

I've got Asian friends living in Australia and he says the treatment there is really bad. There is the establishment of something like "racial superiority". Brings to mind KKK, but that's an American product.

Fact is, Southern states still practice some form of "white supremacist" thought. A gal pal of mine is studying in Georgia right now and she says the southeast is so much different from the west... California, where I'm at.

She says the white people don't interact with the Asian people and try not to. It's really shocking to hear it when Californians are more interact-able.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
1) Yes there is more racism. I oils say the best it ever was was around 2000. After 911, and especially in the last few years its gotten foolish.

Have you read the Koran? No, well then how can you even form an opinion? Sometimes I think born agains and far right Christians are so scared of the book that if they were to open it their heads would explode.

2)ID have to say overall this decade was more racist than the 90s. Once again because of 911.

People haven't changed much. I can still spot a racist from 10ft they do seem to stick out more than ever, so its hard to say.

3)Immigration that's tough. I say enforce the law. But if you wont, equal the playing field for citizens. No more tax breaks and easy loans for immigrants.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by KarlG

Too long; Didn't read at the moment.

No offense taken, I agree with you totally.

top topics

join