It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Landscaping Industry Can't Compete With 'Free' Money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
'Free' taxpayer money versus working? Bet nobody saw this as a result of continuous unemployment benefits, did they?

Landscapers find workers choosing jobless pay

In a state with the nation's highest jobless rate, landscaping companies are finding some job applicants are rejecting work offers so they can continue collecting unemployment benefits.

It is unclear whether this trend is affecting other seasonal industries. But the fact that some seasonal landscaping workers choose to stay home and collect a check from the state, rather than work outside for a full week and spend money for gas, taxes and other expenses, raises questions about whether extended unemployment benefits give the jobless an incentive to avoid work.

Members of the Michigan Nursery and Landscape Association "have told me that they have a lot of people applying but that when they actually talk to them, it turns out that they're on unemployment and not looking for work," said Amy Frankmann, the group's executive director. "It is starting to make things difficult."

Chris Pompeo, vice president of operations for Landscape America in Warren, said he has had about a dozen offers declined. One applicant, who had eight weeks to go until his state unemployment benefits ran out, asked for a deferred start date.

"It's like, you've got to be kidding me," Pompeo said. "It's frustrating. It's honestly something I've never seen before. They say, 'Oh, OK,' like I surprised them by offering them a job."

Some job applicants are asking to be paid in cash so they can collect unemployment illegally, said Gayle Younglove, vice president at Outdoor Experts Inc. in Romulus.

"Unfortunately, we feel the economy is promoting more and more people and companies to play the system and get paid or collect cash money so they don't have to pay taxes," Younglove said.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Lazy Bastards.

What else is there to say?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I don't think you can claim it's pure laziness.

In Virginia, if you are getting $1200/mo unemployment, then get a job making $800/mo, you get $400/mo in unemployment.

It's obvious why many would choose NOT to take a job that would not equal or exceed their unemployment. I'm doing the very same thing, but am doing quite a lot of household and outside projects to get my house ready to sell and to make some extra money.

I'm sure some are lazy, but not all.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by KrazyJethro]

new topics

join