It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare rhino killed in national park

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

A javan rhino, one of the world's rarest large mammals, has been found shot dead with its horn chopped off in a national park.

www.independent.co.uk...

How very sad... don’t really know what to add to this... I understand that there are people who are poor, and that these people need to feed their family’s... But hunting creatures to extinction just makes no sense... what a short sighted greedy race us humans are!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Well, I am sad and I say crap to the shooter - this is a tragedy.

Shame on people.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
According to wiki, it is possibly THE rarest large mammal on earth.

One day, people will realize they have a pocket full of worthless paper money and no more animals, water, trees, or any other natural resources.

We were supposed to be stewards of this planet.

We have allowed the evil ones to take over and destroy and strip it. These evil ones are not some unnamed elite. It is a vast network. Lack of true education has been withheld from people and this is why they have fallen prey to this system of greed and profits.

The rhino IS the legendary unicorn.

link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows

Shame on people.

Easy to say that in your nice comfy chair in your nice comfy house,
People over there view animals differently to us. They are 'game' over their and can make aperson alot of money.
One rhino does not mean alot to me.
If your outraged by it i suggest going over there and giving that hunter a peice of your mind, If your not that bothered, dont comment like you are.

link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows

Shame on people.

Easy to say that in your nice comfy chair in your nice comfy house,
People over there view animals differently to us. They are 'game' over their and can make aperson alot of money.
One rhino does not mean alot to me.
If your outraged by it i suggest going over there and giving that hunter a peice of your mind, If your not that bothered, dont comment like you are.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GW8UK

It is attitudes like yours that are killing our world.

I give a lot to charity - do you?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by GW8UK

So no one is allowed to have an opinion without acting on it? Do you act on every opinion you have? You must be a very busy person indeed... unless, of course, you don’t really have an opinion... but if that was the case you wouldnt be on ATS would you?

Regardless of how poor someone is... or how their culture views the life of animals... it is illogical to hunt a species to extinction! The only exception i can think of is in a case of extreme famine where people’s instinct will take over logic! As far as i am aware, the people Indonesia are not experiencing a famine!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
What is really disgusting is hunting an animal for its horn (or other body part) only. If the local population was really hungry/poor etc they would use the whole animal i.e. use the hide for clothes/furniture and the meat for food.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster
reply to post by GW8UK

So no one is allowed to have an opinion without acting on it? Do you act on every opinion you have? You must be a very busy person indeed... unless, of course, you don’t really have an opinion... but if that was the case you wouldnt be on ATS would you?

Regardless of how poor someone is... or how their culture views the life of animals... it is illogical to hunt a species to extinction! The only exception i can think of is in a case of extreme famine where people’s instinct will take over logic! As far as i am aware, the people Indonesia are not experiencing a famine!

Well is the Poacher a 'bad' person for finding ways of feeding his/her family?
Every person is a product of their environment, the poacher may not even see it as a bad act, or may be plagued with guilt but it was a necessity evil to help his 'reality' and his 'family' everyone wants whats best for *them*

I cannot say i wouldnt kill a rhino if it could drastically improve my life.
(If I was raised in poverty)

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GW8UK

I agree to a certain degree... but my main points still stand...

1) It is illogical to hunt a species to extinction (short term gain over long term sustainability)

2) People are allowed to have opinions without having to act on them...

If the person who killed the Rhino was starving i would understand it... However, as Elentarri pointed out, all they took was the horn... they didn’t even use any other part of the animal... hardly a person who is starving... just a selfish barbaric act, regardless of what culture they are from!

It is a misconception that poaching is usually done by poor people feeding their family’s... it is often organised gangs that commit these crimes and make large sums of money from it!

Elephant poaching and the illegal trade in ivory is a multi-million dollar business often run by highly organized criminal networks.
It has been estimated that approximately 20,000 – 25,000 elephants are poached each year for their valuable ivory tusks.

www.plentymag.com...

news.nationalgeographic.com...

www.elephant.se...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

One day, people will realize they have a pocket full of worthless paper money and no more animals, water, trees, or any other natural resources.

Beautifully said and what an excellent point. We destroy things of unique beauty and limited resources for paper that others tell us is valuable.

Lovely point.

new topics

top topics

join