It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rule change favors unions at airlines, railroads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
He's at it again...

Labor unions will have an easier time organizing workers at U.S. airline and railroad companies after the Obama administration on Monday changed a 76-year-old rule on union elections.

The change is a major victory for unions that have struggled to reverse years of decline in membership. And it's the most significant so far in a string of White House moves designed to boost organized labor.

The new rule, announced by the three-member National Mediation Board, would recognize a union if a simple majority of workers who cast ballots approve organizing. The previous rule required a majority of the entire work force to favor unionizing. That meant workers choosing not to vote at all were effectively treated as "no" votes.

The most immediate impact of the change would be at Delta Air Lines, where unions are trying to organize about 20,000 flight attendants. Unions are also expected to target workers at smaller carriers, including Allegiant Air, JetBlue Airways, Republic Airways and SkyWest.

www.breitbart.com...

Oh, this is tricky especially considering the pending merger of Continental and United.

A clever video regarding unions and government involvement. Somewhere, Andy Stern is smiling along with the AFL-CIO.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
So I guess you would like to outlaw people congregating and organizing? Or is it that you think the American worker deserves to be paid less and have fewer benefits?

Organized labor has been a predominantly positive force in the history of America. Without it, e.g., women might still not have the right to vote. Children as young as 8 years old might still work in factories for a few dollars a week, and no protection would be given to workers to have safe work environments.

Study some history.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
So I guess you would like to outlaw people congregating and organizing? Or is it that you think the American worker deserves to be paid less and have fewer benefits?

Organized labor has been a predominantly positive force in the history of America. Without it, e.g., women might still not have the right to vote. Children as young as 8 years old might still work in factories for a few dollars a week, and no protection would be given to workers to have safe work environments.

Study some history.

Are you living in the same history? I would you walk into a Time Machine Telephone Booth and come to the year 2010. Unions are the demise of companies with their overdemanding for luxurious benefits and pay. Just look at what the union contracts are doing to local/state governments. I would suggest looking at the situation in Illinois and Michigan & then pick any state to your liking.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
My father has worked his whole life to be the Airline pilot he is today. United's CEOs have F**ed that company up hardcore and it has come at the expense of the workers. He has lost his ENTIRE pension and taken a 60 that's right six-zero 60% pay cut. The unions are the only hope he has of being able to get anything back when it's time to resign contracts. Don't even start dissing on airline unions when guys like United Airlines CEO Glenn Tilton who collected $40 million in total compensation in 2006—more money than the entire company made. And, Northwest Airlines paid $26.6 million in bonuses to Doug Steenland and U.S. Airways doled out $14.4 million to Doug Parker. It is indeed a good time to be a U.S. airline executive. But front-line workers who helped save these airlines deserve their share of the recovery, and that is simply not happening.

While many airlines have sought Chapter 11 protection to restructure their operations, Mr. Tilton used the lengthy proceedings to force pay and benefit cuts on flight attendants, pilots and mechanics, and slashed employee pensions.

Along the way, Mr. Tilton alienated both United pilots and flight attendants, who have called for his resignation.

My dad was a good father and a great employee who worked hard for what he had and these CEOs will ONLY be looking for how they can get rich off the poor. Unions are NEEDED in the airline business, or perhaps you want the pilots willing to work for next to nothing for extended hours flying your next flight.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by MakeSoap]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MakeSoap

Airlines are not only fleecing your very hard working dad, they are also fleecing very hard working americans looking to travel. Though the two situations are entirely different, unions were created for equality and to prevent predatory practices. I am all for that, but how many unions have you heard of practicing what they were initially designed for. In recent times a workers union took over the entire company that employed them. Unions are made for good faith, but they themselves take on a predatory status given enough time and sediment. Take a look at teachers unions in NYC and NJ that make the employer (STATE) pay salaries while a teacher is being repremanded for something. NYC teacher unions have sanctuaries like "RUBBER ROOMS".

[edit on 10-5-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I think the problem here is that when CEOs and mega-corporations get the chance, they will exploit their employees for all they can, and when unions are too powerful, they exploit the corporations for all THEY can. These two things are symptoms of the real problem which is greed. If only people could just stop being dicks. I think a lot of what determines whether or not people love or hate unions has a lot to do with who screwed them or their friends or family in the past, the unions or the corporations.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MakeSoap

It inherant in the Human genome to want something more than the other. Hence come innovations and forward progress. In these days everyone is looking to make the money in which ever way they can. Remember the saying "Honesty is the best policy". I wonder if it was ever practiced. If a situation becomes dire, an employer can take on bankruptcy and force contract changes or move the company and start over. There needs to be a balance.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

When companies agree to ridiculous demands as some have done (gm, for example) that is their own fault for doing a poor job of bargaining and by any rational capitalist system these companies should eat their losses and fail if necessary. Ever think of that?

History started before 2010.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Unions had their place in history. My grandfather unionized an iron foundry back in 1930's to achieve a safer work environment for himself and his co workers.

Sadly, greed as taken over the unions and has squeezed companies to death. The teachers union in my local district wants ridiculous mandatory pay raises that have no basis whatsoever on merit and achievement. They also refuse to compromise on their benefits. Currently they pay zilch for 100% coverage and are not willing to cough up a cent to help cover the costs. Their greed will cost them their jobs when the levies fail. Actually, student programs will be cut before the teachers feel the wraith.

As for the airlines, they have been screwed for years after far too many fat years of operation.

Railroads? Wouldn't exist without govt subsidy especially Amtrak.

Obama is catering to his chums at the AFL-CIO and to the likes of SEIU. God forbid that anyone under Obama's thumb ever gets a smaller piece of the pie. It's all about getting more votes in 2010 and 2012. More members should equal more votes for Obama and company. If you think this all about what is good for the workers, you need to remove the rose colored shades for a couple of days.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by jibeho]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Why are unions needed? Because companies put profit above the safety of the workers as exemplified by this latest coal mine disaster where 78 people were killed.

www.nytimes.com...

new topics

top topics

join