It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual Apollo pics, video and transcripts

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
the replacement fender is not only not touching the wheel, it's even farther away from the wheel than the original fender.

I understand this is the clamp they borrowed from the telescope to repair the fender.

1. It looks extremely close to the wire mesh tyre, if not attached to it.
2. What is the right section of the clamp doing ? It looks like it's attached as well.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1a6c4459c4f7.jpg[/atsimg]

See above for a larger image of the inset image.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
There's just a widget dangling down in front of the wheel. It looks odd because, as you just pointed out, it wasn't designed to be used for this purpose. Post a photo taken from another angle if you wish to dispute this point.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I found one other photo with a decent resolution, however it's brought up even more questions.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8246c9141737.jpg[/atsimg]

A. If you look at the right image, you can see the tightening screw section nearest the wheel. In the left image it's gone, well, almost. Something looks adjusted / painted out. You can see what looks like the top of the screw offset. More importantly in the right image it screws into the right hand side of the clamp. In the left image, there's no place for that to happen, that little nodule is dead centre.

B. In the left image, the bottom of the clamp has disappeared into the tyre, looks attached. In the right image, it's all visible.

C. In the left image, you can see fender disappearing into mesh tyre. In the right image, the fender repair is quite a distance from the tyre.

I can't explain it.

sources: history.nasa.gov... history.nasa.gov...

[edit on 22-5-2010 by ppk55]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ppk55
A. If you look at the right image, you can see the tightening screw section nearest the wheel. In the left image it's gone.

It's not gone, it's clearly visible. Don't you see it?

In the right image it screws into the right hand side of the clamp. In the left image, there's no place for that to happen, that little nodule is dead centre.

That's one of the two screws on the clamp, the one closest to the wheel enters the clamp from the top, the other one enters the clamp from the right side (as we look at it).

I will try to find more photos, your problem understanding perspective is worse than I thought.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Wow, you jump on posts really fast. I just edited it to say, looks gone, and painted out. You're FAST. Amazing. Did you actually take the time to read all the points or did you just respond to the first thing you thought you could attack, before formulating a considered response?

Perhaps you could address points A ( the centering issue ), B (the missing bit of clamp) and C. Thanks.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Wow, you jump on posts really fast. I just edited it to say, looks gone, and painted out. You're FAST. Amazing. Did you actually take the time to read all the points or did you just respond to the first thing you thought you could attack, before formulating a considered response?

Perhaps you could address points A ( the centering issue ), B (the missing bit of clamp) and C. Thanks.

What is gone? I see the tightening screw and clamp clearly in both images. And you can tell by the shadow you see at C in the left image that the clamp is quite far away from the tire.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by -PLB-

Ok I'll make this really simple. Where did the bottom half of the clamp go in B ?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8246c9141737.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

What do you mean where did it go? In the left image it is a bit to the right and bottom of the "B" and in the right image the "B" it edited on top of it.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by -PLB-

I'm talking about the section ABOVE the B ... the bottom half of it is missing in the left image compared to the right.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/25026a9bfafd.jpg[/atsimg]

Let's see all the so called perspective experts explain that one away.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

Why do you think that? The dark horizontal line in the right image corresponds to the metal edge in the left image. That is approximately in the center of the clamp in both images. The clamp may appear a bit thicker in the right image because you are looking at in from the side instead from the top.

EDIT: To add, the edges of the clamp are not sharp but smoothly rounded. So from a higher angle you will see less of the rounded part than from the side.

[edit on 22-5-2010 by -PLB-]

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I'm not that fast at writing, but I read fast, even in English, and not only did I read all of the post, I even looked at the images trying to see things as you see them, but without success.

Sure, if I could understand what you mean by "the centering issue".

But here goes.

I'm not that good at drawing unless it's technical drawing, so doing this in Paint Shop Pro didn't resulted as good as it could be if done by someone else, but I hope you see the corresponding pieces of the clamp in both images when colour coded.
(Unless you are daltonic)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/090375bbe92efcbe.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/09cb302318c6a0b4.jpg[/atsimg]

B. In the left image, the bottom of the clamp has disappeared into the tyre, looks attached. In the right image, it's all visible.

What do you mean by that, what are you calling the bottom of the clamp? The bottom blue line on my drawings?

C. In the left image, you can see fender disappearing into mesh tyre. In the right image, the fender repair is quite a distance from the tyre.

No, if that was the case where did the rest of the shadow of the clamp go?

If I had the means I would make a model of what I see to show you what information you are missing on those photos, but I don't think I have the materials.

posted on May, 22 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

what are you calling the bottom of the clamp? The bottom blue line on my drawings?

Your drawing completely covered the bottom area I'm trying to point out.
Instead of drawing over it, I've added arrows to make it very clear.

In the right image, just, just above the arrows you can see the complete bottom of the clamp.

In the left image, it's not there .. It somehow disappears.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f14bca7d2201.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

Yes, as ArtMap's drawing indicates, it has rotated out of sight.

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

It disappears because, as you can see by how the light changes on that area of the clamp, the side of the clamp is not completely flat, with a perfect 90º edge, it makes a slight curve.

Once more, it's just a question of perspective.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Once more, it's just a question of perspective.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. I've highlighted the area of most concern.
In the left image it just ends abuptly in a horizontal line. Gone.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cd115e64c657.jpg[/atsimg]

jra

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I found some more photos of the clamps.

Above and between the two guys on the AOT guard that Bean is holding on to.
www.hq.nasa.gov...

Above Jacks right hand on the AOT guard.
history.nasa.gov...

In the Apollo 12 training photo, they are upside down from how we see them in the Apollo 17 images of the LRV fender. You can see how curved the edges are just after the slit on the side.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Great find jra ! one of them has a really clear image of the clamp.

But the problem remains .. image B is showing a direct cut in the image where the arrow points.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c29abee7ba3d.jpg[/atsimg]

The other images show what should still be visible in image B. The curve doesn't start for quite a bit down (or up) in your image.

Also, in the image below, is the clamp causing that very defined shadow just in front of the arrow head? If so, that means the tyre is really, really close to the clamp, which can't be right judging from all the other photos.

That close and it would get knocked off when driving.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8b85ee11dd27.jpg[/atsimg]

source: AS-137-20979
eol.jsc.nasa.gov...
select AS17 from the scroll window, then in Roll: enter 137 and in Frame 1: enter 20979. then hit enter.
Then click request, and follow the directions.
(sorry, it's the only way to get the high res source)

edit: grammar + defined shadow + source

[edit on 24-5-2010 by ppk55]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
The second picture is grainy. The little corner you are indicating gets lost in the grayscale "noise." The information just isn't there to form a sharp edge.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Also, in the image below, is the clamp causing that very defined shadow just in front of the arrow head? If so, that means the tyre is really, really close to the clamp, which can't be right judging from all the other photos.

That close and it would get knocked off when driving.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8b85ee11dd27.jpg[/atsimg]

That shadow is not being projected in anything, it's just that side of the clamp in the shadow.

Unless I am misunderstanding your post.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The shadow indicated by the arrow is on the mesh tyre .. what else could it be on ? This means whatever is casting that shadow is very, very close because of the defined edge. But the clamp can't be THAT close.

edit: I left off the 17 from the source image above.
The full number is AS17-137-20979

[edit on 25-5-2010 by ppk55]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join