It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum computer tested in Japan Shows Impressive results

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Quantum computer tested, delivers impressive results

technology is finally seeping through a bit
Researchers in Japan have managed to get a quantum computer working, and have shown that it delivers results thousands of times faster than a traditional transistor-based machine.

The computer, which has been built from a single Iodine molecule, was given a discrete Fourier transform to calculate as a proof-of-principle test. A Fourier transform is a simple calculation used in a number of research fields, including spectral analysis and data compression, and is often used as a test of computing abilities.

Here's the science bit. Quantum computers work by analysing the vibrations between a pair of atoms in a molecule. The inputs are encoded into a series of vibrations which are sent through a molecule that's been "excited" at known intervals, and the results are picked up on the other side. The process takes a few 10s of femtoseconds - about a quadrillionth of a second.

While quantum computers are still a long way away from your study, they're now starting to deliver measurable results. The technology still needs to be refined a little to make it simpler and more accessible, but it's likely that once Moore's law in traditional processors breaks down, quantum computers will be the next step.

source
www.pocket-lint.com...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Wow.

That's impressive that they are building things out of iodine molecules?
Impressive.

Now cue the sci-fi music and prepare for artificial, skin-based CPU implants.

Good find.

PS: I bet you'll get a Mod Edit for not using the [ex ][ /ex] and quoting the article!

[edit on 10-5-2010 by havok]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   
more details here

www.popsci.com...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Very promising tech indeed, I give it another 10 years of research and it will be introduced to the public market. I see much potential in this technology, it will revolutionize many aspects of how we make use of computers. Just got a question, will this mean no noticeable render times in the future for animations or complex 3d objects etc? In general zero latency in applications?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
absolutely amazing.
over the last 200 years technology has grown at a fantastic rate. but the jumps are TO big. some thing is making it happen? what happens 200 years ago to make us more intelligent? is it are food? maybe the potato? but with a "SNIP" diet some chemical’s altered are brains? opium and other drugs came to Europe about 200 years ago. some of the great thinkers of that time did drugs. logic can not make leaps in science that illogic and fantasy can. I bet Albert Einstein took drugs. any one know? if he and other great minds took drugs?
yes I do know I can not spell

MOD EDIT: to remove derogatory or offensive reference

[edit on 5/10/2010 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
What?! This is very suprising, the Japanese beat the Israeli??
History has changed.
It's true then, we're going to have an east asia century.

I'm gonna wait for more info regarding this, this is unbelievable.

add: oh yeah btw, S&F

[edit on Mon, 10 May 10 by Jazzyguy]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Woah, nice news.

I recently learnt some of the basics of DFT/FFT, to have a quantum computer doing that now, rather than the "3*5=15" type experiments of the past is a great advance.

As a hobbyist computer programmer who likes to dabble, I can't wait for my very own quantum computer. I use a couple of multicore PC's for my experiments right now, but a quantum computer would bring some of my more fanciful ideas to the point of fruition.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
It's..... ALIVE!!!!!!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Awesome stuff, just imagine the the amount of space that could be saved by using molecular processors instead of the chunky transistor types we use currently.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Being Irish, I don't appreciate the Racial Slur.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by bismarcksea
reply to post by buddha

Being Irish, I don't appreciate the Racial Slur.

What???

Get over yourself, someone mentions a potato being introduced into a diet and you take it as a racial slur?

How on earth do people like you function in the real world if things like are taken as an insult?? Buddha didnt intend anything as a racial slur and i would be VERY surprised if anyone else out of the thousands of ATS members saw anything at all wrong in his post.

On topic, amazing news and really interesting development, thought we were a long way off that stage yet.

## edited to add, having read it again, i see sort of what you mean, but i would think he meant to say "mixed" diet not "mics" diet (sp). And even if he DID its no biggie is it? Some of my southern mates call chips yorkshire salad, doesnt bother me one little bit

[edit on 10-5-2010 by expatwhite]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by expatwhite

He said a mic's diet..

That's a racial slur.

-----------------

On topic: I still think we are a long way off from a usable quantum computer as far as a quantum PC in your home. Still wonderful leaps.

[edit on 10-5-2010 by DaMod]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

I think you should know what you are talking about before you open your mouth.

The reason technology has advanced so much is only because a few discoveries had to be made before technology could advance.

Ergo, electricity, the transistor etc. (etc. encompasses a lot here)

The advancements accelerate after we master using the new discoveries in technology. AKA The LCD monitor you are using originated from a digital calculator.

No, drugs where not the reason we advanced. If anything they hindered it. Just look at what historically happened with the Opium trade in Asia.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I very much doubt we'll be seeing this technology in our homes any time soon. I doubt you'll see a quantum home computer in the home for at least 30 years or several decades.

www.futureforall.org...

quantum computers and encryption

www.sans.org...

It is important to note that a quantum computer will not necessarily outperform a classical computer at all computational tasks. Multiplication for example, will not be performed any quicker on a quantum computer than it could be done on a similar classical computer. In order for a quantum computer to show its superiority it needs to use algorithms that exploit its power of quantum parallelism. Such algorithms are difficult to formulate, to date the most significant theorised being Shor's algorithm and Grover's algorithm. By using good these algorithms a quantum computer will be able to outperform classical computers by a significant margin. For example, Shor's algorithm allows extremely quick factoring of large numbers, a classical computer can be estimated at taking 10 million billion billion years to factor a 1000 digit number, where as a quantum computer would take around 20 minutes.

www.doc.ic.ac.uk...

news.sky.com... 374541

New material sets stage for ultra-fast optical computing
www.ibtimes.com...

www.futureforall.org...

www.ucl.ac.uk...

new topics

top topics

join