It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people so obsessed with 2012?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I've read theory after theory after theory and I'm honestly getting tired of hearing ridiculous idea's coming from the minds of low intelligent people. I know no one else is going to stand up to this but lets face the simple facts about 2012.

Fact One: The Mayans designed the calendar on a ROCK. FYI rocks are limited to space. So when you write on a rock your sure going to run out of room. Plus when you design a calendar it's eventually going to end. Who wants to keep writing it from decade to decade?

Fact Two: No where in the Mayan language does it point to the end of the world. No where in the Mayan language or documents does it say 2012 is going to be the end of the world.

Fact Three: People have been saying the end of the world was going to happen since the beginning of time. FYI according to many books and websites 1990 was suppose to be the end of the world. So way 2000, 2001, 2006 and now 2012, oh and 2020 and 2040 and 2222.

Fact Four: There is NO planet nibiru let's face it. Most of the photo's you see of this supposed planet are either photoshopped by some 13 year old or made in a modeling program.

Now I don't know about the rest of you but those are the simple facts about 2012 that people ignore when they make these ridiculous theories of 2012. I don't know about you but I'm tired of seeing people on the forums saying "omg 2012 the movie! eeek it's all going to happen since movies are true and everything" or "ok so I had this dream and yeah 2012 is real" it's complete crap. So I ask before you "POST" a theory on 2012 please have some evidence to back it up. Because most of these theories well....a lot of them are complete crap.

Now I ask a simple question to you all. Why are people so obsessed with the end of the world? Are you waiting around for something well that isn't going to happen? Are you wanting a easy way out? Are you just so scared to life life to the fullest you have to have an excuse not too? What is the main obsession with the end and why 2012?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
It is because it gives people a date to look forward to. In highschool you have college to look forward to, in college you have graduation, after college you have death. People believe because it helps pass the day by and it is a very interesting concept. No matter how advanced science gets, it will never understand death. The obsession isn't with 2012, but with death itself.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by xweaponx

Isn't it obvious why people are obsessed with 2012? Media mania feeding every conceivable scenario plus a few more totally inconceivable, just to add some spice to the phenomenon.

I am totally open minded about human and planetary evolution and how this will pan out. But I wouldn't state as 'fact' (your No4) that external planetary influences are not also in the equation. No matter what they are commonly called by.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Because in real, they know they must change. The world must change, we must change. And the feeling of beeing helpless, and the fact people are full of fear and at the same time lazy, they hope a wonder will make this world a better place, so they don't need to act...

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Also, the planets do not align and none of them or the sun align with the center of the galaxy in 2012. Even the point of entering into the age of aquarius is mostly speculation and not based upon any fact what so ever.

Everything that is associated with the date 2012 is based on pure fiction and I say that after being completely convinced of 2012 for a good solid year or two.

Why do people so readily and blindly put their faith behind 2012? Probably because it builds upon a lot of paranoia we have been fed at an early age with all the environmental, ozone and nuclear bomb news. It also fills a gap in peoples lives concerning spirituality (which it is not) and belonging to some higher purpose.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
@Equinox99 very good point. Which I can see why people do believe. It's like alcohol and 21. Before your 21 in the united states you drink and consume mass amounts of alcohol and after your 21 you lose that desire to. If you get my reference.

@velvet1 I honestly do not watch any news station or have any news feed. I used to watch CNN but honestly CNN is the same stuff every other month. One month we are out of a recession next month we are in. One month america is fat and the next month america is to skinny. It's like someone just can't make up there mind. So really for the majority of people yes media is the main problem. But for people who don't watch news media well are more open minded and questioning these theories. And honestly. Life has been way more positive and more enjoyable without watching a single media source. My only media would have to be if you can even consider it media is this website I usually browse the forums that I find interesting.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
@cushycrux I don't believe people are that willing to change. For example I once was at a coffee shop and this man was talking about how he hated having lung cancer. Then he went out side and smoked a cigarette. I think it people want to fully change they have to be willing to commit to the change it's self. Say in 2012 IF it's a way for man kind to evolve then people would have to be willing to change.

@Hullabaloo I believe I once read we've had alignments before in the distant past of planets alignment. Nothing happened then. I believe people are scared so scared to the fact that once they read a single theory they believe that makes sense. And then they read another theory and bunch those two theories together and make up there own theory based behind those theories that they think are true. But in reality all they did was reword two theories and made a story.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
"End of world scenarios" are nothing new. On 29 March 1652, there was a solar eclipse. Quoting from "Astrology: A History" by Peter Whitfield, "Sermons and pamphlets had been warning of the event for months past, and the day itself there was near hysteria ... People loaded up their belongings to escape from London, which quack doctors sold magical remedies to ward off the effects the eclipse. The panic seems to have begun as a piece of Royalist propaganda, for the original "Black Monday" tract had been issued in the December of the previous year, predicting divine vengeance on the regicide nation..."

For an interesting dissertion on the origins of the 2012 phenomenon, see skepsis.no...

There seems to be something build into the human psyche or culture which requires these things.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by xweaponx
@Equinox99 very good point. Which I can see why people do believe. It's like alcohol and 21. Before your 21 in the united states you drink and consume mass amounts of alcohol and after your 21 you lose that desire to. If you get my reference.

@velvet1 I honestly do not watch any news station or have any news feed. I used to watch CNN but honestly CNN is the same stuff every other month. One month we are out of a recession next month we are in. One month america is fat and the next month america is to skinny. It's like someone just can't make up there mind. So really for the majority of people yes media is the main problem. But for people who don't watch news media well are more open minded and questioning these theories. And honestly. Life has been way more positive and more enjoyable without watching a single media source. My only media would have to be if you can even consider it media is this website I usually browse the forums that I find interesting.

I was talking about the media as a whole. Major Film 2012 plus a thousand other 2012 related shorts via independent makers.

Even if you don't watch the main TV news channels you are exposed to fed news both consciously and subliminally everywhere. On the street via posters and light fused ads, via the internet, here just by reading thread titles alone etc...you get the overall intrusion of media bombardment.

What is fact and very obvious is Earth is experiencing major cyclic changes right now. This coupled with all the 2012 doom means some heavy changes do have to be made but at individual level.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
@velvet1 Oh sorry I misunderstood your posting. Yes you are right. Media as a whole is slammed into our faces every day. And with that movie 2012 well....they had a way to make money. Just like making a shirt that says "I survived 2012" you'd be rich! I also believe to the fullest 2012 is another way to make easy money. What better way to make money buy using fear and misleading people.

@jax11 haha that was a nice read. Selling "magical" potions. It was probably water the whole time.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Oh boy just did a domain search "isurvived2012.com" is already registered.

Domain name: isurvived2012.com

Registrant Contact:
XILO Communications Ltd.
XILO Hostmaster ()

Fax:
PO BOX 1613
Southampton, HAMPSHIRE SO18 9FQ
GB

Seems like someone is going to use this to make money off of the paranoia of people.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by xweaponx]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
xweaponx, I don't think things have changed much since then - people are selling all types of survival aids and how to survive guides. Human nature changes very little.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by xweaponx
@velvet1 Oh sorry I misunderstood your posting. Yes you are right. Media as a whole is slammed into our faces every day. And with that movie 2012 well....they had a way to make money. Just like making a shirt that says "I survived 2012" you'd be rich! I also believe to the fullest 2012 is another way to make easy money. What better way to make money buy using fear and misleading people.

@jax11 haha that was a nice read. Selling "magical" potions. It was probably water the whole time.

LOL Yep, forget the Red Sea, nothing gets parted faster than a fool and his money!

FEAR = big explotation ££$$ on this still savage planet where opportunists sniff #e for roses every hour of the day.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Velvet1]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Since we do not definitely know when the Mayan calendar long count starts, I believe the whole 2012 thing is caused by humans finding a pattern in 12-21-12 (122112). Allgedly this is at 11:11pm. People like patterns. The "origin" of the date is taking a known number, and backdating it to the length of the long count.

* The Mayan Calendar

From US Today:
To render Dec. 21, 2012, as a doomsday or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in."

University of Florida anthropologist Susan Gillespie says the 2012 phenomenon comes "from media and from other people making use of the Maya past to fulfill agendas that are really their own."

Let's take a quick look at some previous end of the world issues:

* September 9th, 1999. A lot of people don't realize that some companies were quite scared of this date - more so then Y2K. This is related to a Unix issue. 9999 is a system reset request. However, the date is stored in milliseconds typically, and even if it was date format, it would be 1999-09-09, or 99-09-09 in the database. Complete non-issue.

* January 1st, 2000. Y2K. This will cause every computer on Earth to crash at once! Non-issue. Not because of a lack of a bug, but because people like myself worked really hard to make sure it didn't happen. Seriously, though. You would not believe the issues I had come across on devices you would never think were date sensitive (water pumps, routers, etc.)

I am sure there are plenty more out there, but those are two I have personal experience with. The end result - 2012-12-21 will come and go and I will most likely end up having to work a double shift for nothing due to management freaking out over made up information.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by xweaponx

why are people so obsessed with going against 2012?

i've studied it long enough to know it's a year that comes up enough in my research to put it on my calender as a big day. its much bigger than y2k (which finally happened with ps3's, lol) because y2k was just one scientist saying "hey, what will computers do when it reads 00? will it bring us back to 1900?! omg.

2012 comes up because it comes up. if you don't think it has any significance the best thing to do is not spread the year around even more than it has already been spread.

2012-2030 is a very very odd place no matter how you look at it.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
2012.. tons of factors and reasons for why the 2012 hype..... Humans are curious.. we like "new" things.. science idea's and discovery's ... the lack of evidence toward why we are here... a big one is the condition of the world being so bad.. people want things changed for the better and a prophecy of new age and change is what gets the attention. It goes beyond just 2012 .. the same reason for the y2k and all these other idea's floating around.... the more our planet goes crappy the more we look for a way out. ... ufo's atlantis .. it gives the person hope of something more than this planet... its similar to religion and having faith.. if you dont have the faith of something, then you look for the facts to prove it.. and when you dont have the facts.. you keep digging deeper and 1000 theory's later its now out of hand.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The Mayan part of the 2012 is likely to be 2220.
Too bad: Mayan calendar predictions revised, 2012 becomes 2220

I think the 2012 chatter is due to a fear of the powers that be. When people hear that there is a potential danger of a large rock hitting the Earth they pay no attention. When someone making a buck says a planet could hit the Earth some people jump and down and cheer and say I knew there was a cover up.

The big event is January 19, 2038. That's when all of the UNIX boxes out there wrap. That's the Y2K bug hitting the internet servers. That's going to be another dud.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It's amazing how the ignorance of people waxes as we go farther into the future. There is more to 2012 than I have seen anyone mention here.

Fact 1: Just because something is written on a rock does not mean that it is going to be false. Ancient people built things today that we cannot replicate, so I don't think their writings on stone makes any difference as to whether it's right or wrong.

Fact 2: The mayan calender is used for more than just counting the days. It shows a knowledge of astronomy that we don't even have today. It has proven to be extremely accurate in the foretelling of future disasters such as floods and earthquakes.

Fact 3: The mayans predicted the allignment of stars perfecly across the milky way galaxy that align with our planet and moon.

Fatc 4: Reason being that the end of the world is predicted then is because we are bombarded by cosmic radiation, kind of like overloading a computer.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
One other thing, you cannot, you absolutly cannot say that there is no other planet out there. Until you have explored every corner of the universe then I don't want to here you ignorant ramblings about how there aren't any other planets.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragiero

The Mayan calendar does not have a knowledge of astronomy we "don't even have today." That's a laughable statement considering that the Haab calendar in question had a 365 day year. That's the old Julian calendar we dumped back in 1582. The calendar does not make predictions about volcanoes or earthquakes. There are no prophecies associated with the end of the Mayan calendar. And a new assessment of the calendar was done to determine the correlation between our calendar and the Mayan calendar. The Mayan calendar is now known to end in 2220. That was based on Venus predictions that are associated with the Mayan calendar.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join