It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

athiests! why christianity?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by truthbringsfreedom777

Anychance we can just STFU about religion and god and jesus? IT's all pointless, have enough intellgience to show human compassion no matter what people's beliefs, even if their beliefs are unfounded or illogical.

The sooner we learn to STFU and stop preaching and telling people how to live their lives the sooner we can concentrate on showing some love, kindness and empathy.

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

all three are traits of God thanks awake

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by the illuminator

anytime

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware
reply to post by truthbringsfreedom777

Anychance we can just STFU about religion and god and jesus? IT's all pointless, have enough intellgience to show human compassion no matter what people's beliefs, even if their beliefs are unfounded or illogical.

The sooner we learn to STFU and stop preaching and telling people how to live their lives the sooner we can concentrate on showing some love, kindness and empathy.

This times 1000000000000000!!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheM0nk
It's absolutely mind-boggling how moronic people are, especially those who place so much emphasis on rationality and common-sense in justifying their lunacy.
I agree. I mean, who asks for proof of god? Seriously. God exists, because the bible says so! And the bible is right because it's God's word! Psh, only morons try to back up their claims with facts and evidence. Bunch of crazies if you ask me. I mean, you guys look pretty ridiculous refusing to believe in god because there's no evidence supporting his existence other than some 2000 year old book that has been translated and edited to death which has not yet been determined to be metaphorical/lyrical or a combination of the two.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by technical difficulties]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthbringsfreedom777
I wasn't at all complaining per say, I was merely observing what has been going on in this thread, and it's rather disappointing, to say the least.

Tomato/tomato but the fact is that you only contributed to exactly what you were "observing" which to me seemed to completely take away from any point you were trying to make. That is akin to punching people to get them to realize violence is wrong.

You say that the Christians posting in this thread are the only ones straying from the OP, correct?

Nope. That is not what I said.

I'm sorry, but I say that is false. It's actually a pretty equal combination of both the Christians AND the Atheists, from what I have observed.

Yup but to your specific complain and where it fell, what I "observed" was somewhat different and I merely commented on that.

Anyway, I am not entitled to answer the OP question, because I'm not an Atheist, FYI. Nor am I a Christian, although I was raised as one as a kid, and have since ''found'' my own beliefs.

In short, I consider myself to be a very 'spiritual' individual, and am not involved in any organized religion whatsoever.

The bottom line as I see it, IMHO:

The OP question, while being a pretty fair question to ask and address, is a question in which will do nothing more than cause yet another ''Christians vs Atheists'' debate thread, unfortunately. And, as everybody is aware, these debates always go in continuous circles, and amount to absolutely nothing but a bunch of bickering back and forth, and so on and so forth...

I agree but this all only makes me wonder that much more why you would bother to read this thread and then comment on how few relevant comments there were before admitting you are not qualified to comment.
Hey, that is just what I observed though.

These exact discussions are a waste of time on both ends, and there's more ''proof'' of this than anything else being discussed here. The fact that Atheists seem to focus their attention towards Christianity is because Christianity is the world's biggest religion with the largest amount of believers world-wide, which I realize has already been mentioned. There are countless other religions out there that are also ''sitting ducks'' to the same amount of Atheist ridicule, no?

No. No Buddhist has ever knocked on my door, called me a sinner on a public street without knowing me from anyone else, or confronted me about my personal relationship with their lord. Christians have a special way of putting themselves in the line of fire and then crying about it.

Just look at the Westboro Baptists. There is no reason they cannot worship their god and live by their rules without going outside of their community to protest funerals. They do. What other religions are doing that? How about ATS? How many threads do you see by people claiming to have some proof of their religion or their religious myth/book? I see plenty of Christians doing it but not many of anything else. Is that reason for ridicule enough? Well, look at many of the threads. There are plenty that are simply pro-religion but most are anti-science and anti-history. They begin on a confrontational foot. Not all, but many. I see few Krishnas here pointing out that evolutions has been proven a lie or that archeology is wrong.

Furthermore, I need to restate my original point. Christians are the ones protesting in public and coming to our doors to tell us we are wrong en masse. Seeing as how they are told to go away and come back anyway, I felt it should be repeated.

I have to agree that I hardly ever notice ATS Atheists specifically targeting Muslims, or making fun of Mohammed in the same way they make fun of The Bible, Jesus, ect. Maybe it's because they're scared to death that they'll get murdered by some Muslim extremist group for openly ridiculing their religion. Or maybe it's because they see Christians as a much ''easier'' target, due to the fact that they realize that whatever they say against them, there will be no serious ''repercussions'' involved.

Point me to a thread started by a Muslim about how Djinns use music to invade our souls and I will be happy to go there and pick on that idea.

Actually Muslims are perfect example because it is AGAINST what they believe to proselytize. They believe it makes people run away instead of come to the lord. Christians feel it is their DUTY to proselytize. Do you see the difference?

Christians admit that it is part of their belief system to "inform" the rest of us about the "truth" of their religion. I am not sure of any other religion with that core belief. Maybe you know of any?

Basically what you see are Christians posting nonsense about Noah's Ark being real and Atheists putting that down. It is no different from the UFO threads that are always put down by the same photo skeptics or bigfoot or any other crazy claim on ATS. The problem is not the Atheists but everyone else for the simple fact that in any other thread they are skeptics but here you have to refer to them as Atheists.

Whichever way you look at it, nobody really ''wins'' in the long run. Let the Atheists be. Let the Christians be. Let the Muslims be. Let every single other relgion out there be. Why? Because ''actions speak louder than words''. Just my honest personal opinion, take it or leave it.

Cheers.

That all sounds good and fine but this is a discussion board and when people post here it is or should be for the purpose of discussion. This is not a blog site.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by technical difficulties

Originally posted by TheM0nk
It's absolutely mind-boggling how moronic people are, especially those who place so much emphasis on rationality and common-sense in justifying their lunacy.
I agree. I mean, who asks for proof of god? Seriously. God exists, because the bible says so! And the bible is right because it's God's word! Psh, only morons try to back up their claims with facts and evidence. Bunch of crazies if you ask me. I mean, you guys look pretty ridiculous refusing to believe in god because there's no evidence supporting his existence other than some 2000 year old book that has been translated and edited to death which has not yet been determined to be metaphorical/lyrical or a combination of the two.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by technical difficulties]

you awesome person
Peace

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Atheism is a religion. Ironic aye!
I remember the ads paid for by Atheists that said "God is probably dead so stop worrying". Even the Atheists could only come up with 'probably'. Ironic aye!
An Atheist would have to believe in evolution which requires more faith than all the people from all the religions in existence who belive in a creator God. Ironic aye!
Atheists try to disprove Christianity because admission Christ is real requires something they are not prepared to give.
Real Christians don't need to prove Gods existance as intelligence dictates the obvious.
Take ear wax for example. For it to develop in humans, there would have to have been a point where infections and dust blockage caused widespread deafness. Now according to evolution, the conclusion is we would all have been deaf by now.

Another example is fish walking on land. How does a fish with undeveloped fins even manage to move without proper bone structure. Evolution can't develop a fishes fins to have more bones if the stupid fish is always stranded on land and dies becuase it can't move. If it dies it can't reproduce and the theory of evolution dies right about there.

I worked all this stuff out in class as an eight year old when the teacher tried to justify evolution but couldn't come up with anything more than a picture of something that looked similar and therefore it was magically related because she was taught that and hadn't thought about how it could possibilty be. Thats when I started believeing in God because there has to be something more intelligent than man (and evolution proves it)

That teacher couldn't answer the above questions either.
can anyone on ATS?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

I think you are confusing "intelligence" with "gullibility"

You can't seriously claim believing in Christ & God is the most intelligent option...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
i think its just that unlike other religions christianity is like the weak guy always getting picked on not like the brolic i dont take crap islam you feel me

link   
i think its just that unlike other religions christianity is like the weak guy always getting picked on not like the brolic i dont take crap islam you feel me

link   

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Atheists pick on Christians because most countries with Free Speech happen to be predominantly Christian. They are also less likely to kill you for drawing their religious figures.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by PieKeeper]

[edit on 13-5-2010 by PieKeeper]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
the pick on christianity because they make the most sense.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Christianity is attacked because they are the only grouping of religions, I says groups because of the different Churches Baptist, Lutheran, Mormon so on, that walks about the world pushing their religion at you. I've never had a Jew knock on my door, nor Muslim, nor Pagan, nor Hindu, you get the point. I've never been verbally harassed after saying no thank you by a pagan in the mall. Christians DO do this. No I'm not saying ALL Christians do this, or even agree with it, but as a group they DO. I'm using Christian to describe any religion based whole or partly on the new testament. Before some one goes off about that Keep in mind, Christian means Follower of Christ, whether you think their views of it are wrong or right, they still follow Christ.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by the illuminator

Because Christianity is powerful and atheists hate that.

But who knows?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Athiests might pick on Christianity alot more than other religions.

But if you ask them which religion would they chose if they had to pick one.Majority of them would say Christianity.

It's a sorta love-hate relationship!

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

Atheism is a religion.

Atheism means 'without religion', hence Atheism is not a religion. You as a Christian are also an Atheist to a lesser degree as you don't accept the validity of any other deity but your own. Ironic Aye!

I remember the ads paid for by Atheists that said "God is probably dead so stop worrying". Even the Atheists could only come up with 'probably'.

Should I hold you accountable for the Christians who shoot little girls trying to get an abortion after being raped? Lumping one or a few as a whole is an exercise of unintelligent drivel. Ironic aye!

An Atheist would have to believe in evolution which requires more faith than all the people from all the religions in existence who belive in a creator God.

An Atheist is not required to believe in anything. There are some Atheists who subscribe to Evolutionary Theory and some who subscribe to Intelligent Design by extraterrestrial life, often time citing the Sumerians as evidence.

I as an Atheist however do subscribe to Evolutionary Theory as per the evidence indicates, but I don't subscribe to the Big Bang Theory as per evidence against is beginning to show the theory to be invalid. You see, Atheists have choice in what aspects of science they wish to subscribe to.

However, *all* religious persons are required by indoctrination to subscribe to their particular religions deities. Ironic aye!

Atheists try to disprove Christianity because admission Christ is real requires something they are not prepared to give.

Not at all, actually far from it. I personally believe Yeshua may have been a real man born to a whore who lied about her son's conception by using a mistranslated version of Hebrew prophecy. This is one of many reasons why the Jews don't accept Yeshua as the Messiah. While the historicity of Yeshua is rather tenuous, he may have still existed and failed just as other failed prophets before him. Ironic aye!

Real Christians don't need to prove Gods existance as intelligence dictates the obvious.

So, it's perfectly permissible and intelligent for the Ancient Greeks to attribute lightening to Zeus? It's intelligent for Early Christians to assume the Earth was flat because they could not see past the horizon? Is it also intelligent for the Early Christians to teach that the Earth was the center of the universe?

At what point do we deem the teachings of a religious leader as being unintelligent ramblings of an uneducated lunatic?

Take ear wax for example. For it to develop in humans, there would have to have been a point where infections and dust blockage caused widespread deafness. Now according to evolution, the conclusion is we would all have been deaf by now.

I'm not sure where your getting that information nor does it make much sense to me. If your interested in ear wax, maybe you'll enjoy this article: link

Another example is fish walking on land. How does a fish with undeveloped fins even manage to move without proper bone structure. Evolution can't develop a fishes fins to have more bones if the stupid fish is always stranded on land and dies becuase it can't move. If it dies it can't reproduce and the theory of evolution dies right about there.

Can you please cite an example of a fish that walks on land that also lacks the bodily adaptations to do so? Please don't confuse walking with stranding. The reasons some whales beach themselves is still unknown, but it may possibly be our fault.

I worked all this stuff out in class as an eight year old when the teacher tried to justify evolution but couldn't come up with anything more than a picture of something that looked similar and therefore it was magically related because she was taught that and hadn't thought about how it could possibilty be. Thats when I started believeing in God because there has to be something more intelligent than man (and evolution proves it)

Your a hypocrite. You just argued against evolution whilst attempted to make use of it to "prove" your deity of choice.

That teacher couldn't answer the above questions either.
can anyone on ATS?

Your a liar, possibly of the pathological kind for making up that statement.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Im a Christian myself, im not that kind who goes to church every sunday(altough, id like to go sometimes). I take religion as a teaching and as something to help me not to forget to be good to others.
I think that Christianity is most "picked on" by Atheists, is because most atheists were Christians before and are afraid of becoming ones again.

I understand, that there is alot of talking about evolution and proof of dinosaurs and everything, but noone can prove that there is God, or not.
Just be friends, and let people have their own beliefs.

Something i also wanted to say is, that i think that Muslim religion might be even bigger than Christianity, because alot of muslims in America and Europe are afraid to admit their religion publicly, due to wars at the moment and the fact, that they are mostly thought of as terrorsts.

PS! Sorry my english isnt very good.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by Screeech9]

[edit on 14-5-2010 by Screeech9]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I treat all religions equally, I find them all equally obsured. The reason why Christianity is bashed, is because most people on ATS come from predominantly Christian countries, like the US and Europe.

why does it bother you?, surely your religion can stand the attacks of us athiests? If Christianity is the TRUTH, then it doesn't matter what we say about Christianity does it?

[edit on 8-5-2010 by woodwardjnr]

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
obsured

I would love to take anyone seriously when they propose an argument for or against religion.
I really would love that... However, not when they spell "absurd" with an "o"

Good luck convincing people you're correct when you can't even be bothered to whip out spellcheck.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join