It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Members, possible challenges ahead?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I was going through Digg.com and i stumbled upon this interesting article. It's about U.S. Citizens being stripped of their citizenship if suspected of being a terrorist.

Today Senators Joe Lieberman (I-CT) and Scott Brown (R-MA) and Congressmen Jason Altmire (D-PA) and Charlie Dent (R-PA) announced proposed legislation that would authorize the State Department to revoke the citizenship of a U.S. national who provides material support or resources to a Foreign Terrorist Organization, or who engages in or supports hostilities against the United States or its allies.

The proposed legislation, called the Terrorist Expatriation Act or TEA Act, is a significant expansion of 8 U.S.C. 1481, which already provides for the revocation of citizenship for those who voluntarily serve in the army of a foreign state or pledge allegiance to a foreign state. Lieberman's proposed bill adds terrorist organization to the same category as foreign state. Currently the State Department is the sole determiner of just who, or what, is a terrorist organization.

www.care2.com...

I understand we have been talking about this for a while and it's not completely new, but does this not raise some sort of awareness here on the forums? If this goes through for whatever reason or another how would it affect the users of this website? The majority of us support liberal views and have discussions about above top secret sort of subjects. This website is a true manifestation of free speech. Do you guys think the Government would go after a website such as this one or infowars? I was listening to Alex Jones today, and i do have to give it to that man, he risks his freedom and life in support of humanity. We have had numerous blogers being arrested for saying things against their local police, imagine folks who are speaking against the New World Order or the Corporations that make our political decisions. What do you guys think will happen to folks who use free speech to express their political views on the internet?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
what we do here is mostly chatter. The government wont waste a lot of time (at least for the time being) on people who are merely discussing ideas and new articles. However, certain members who are a bit more outspoken and take said ideas to other places and bring them to a higher level will need to be silenced. lol

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I am totally against this bill.
According to this bill
u r a terrorist until proven innocent
just cuz they say so.

No trial, no 2nd chance,
no hope, when u become expatriated
they can hold u in a cell forever
just cuz u speek ur viewpoint against
the gov.

There is no constitutional legislation
coming out of Washington anymore.
It is ALL illegal. We have a rogue gov
faction in charge. And people with dual
citizenships (US, Israel) like Joe Lieberman
can do whatever they want.

I say to make a law requiring any US congressman
to only have 1 allegiance and 1 citizenship.
Joe Lieberman needs to be kicked out of the country
for being a terrorist against the US people.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by drkid

This is something as an Aussie I don't quite understand. I understand the expansion of the law as it were. I mean this 8 U.S.C 1481. It says in your post that if someone were to pledge allegiance to another country it provides for the revocation of citizenship.

This is the part I do not understand. Does it make for instant exile or just to those deemed not wanted anymore?

Also does it mean no dual citizenship?

I have come across people that hold dual citizenship of Australia and the US and UK and US (Louis Theroux for one), or are these people allowed dual citizenship as they have a parent from each country?

I know it is a little off your post but it is something I have been curious about for a while as I have heard that the US doesn't allow dual but then see the conflicting evidence.

Cheers,
Pablos

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
All i know is that things are getting progressively worse each day. Folks are being sold fake American pride which they execute at times only to look like a fool in the eyes of the law. People who express their freedoms are stripped from its benefits at any given point through false claims made by people in power. I just don't want to see a great website such as this one become a trap for its daily users.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
The Bill can not possibly stand as Constitutional for several reasons. While the so called "Patriot Act" strikes me as legislation that can not stand Constitutional muster yet seemingly has, only complicates matter even further, but here is the basic problem with this current Bill under consideration. Stripping someone of citizenship, does not strip someone of Rights. It can't possibly do so, as Rights preexist government, and The Bill of Rights, and all state constitutions, are clear in that rights can not be abrogated or derogated by government.

It is not citizenship that defines Rights, and citizenship is nothing more than a privilege, that brings other privileges such as voting and the ability to run for public offices. Privileges are not Rights, and are not inalienable. Rights are inalienable which means they can not be transferred from one to another. The Bill of Rights makes clear that Congress can not make any laws that would change this.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
There was a great thread this week about the rights of people. The fact of the matter is this; the founding fathers of America realized that all men are created equal and all are afforded the same rights as others...there's no mention of citizenship.

There's a level of degeneracy we face when we take on the 'holier than thou' stance and strip 'God' given rights away from people...I said people, not citizens.

top topics

join