It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romaine Lettuce Recall Linked to Rare E. Coli Strain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Romaine Lettuce Recall Linked to Rare E. Coli Strain

abcnews. go.com

Federal officials announced a multistate recall of shredded romaine lettuce sold to wholesalers, restaurants and in "grab and go" packages after least 19 people fell ill from an uncommon strain of E. coli that is not always included in laboratory tests for infections

Twelve people have been hospitalized since April 10, 2010, and three people developed kidney failure, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a press release.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Not sure how many of you have heard about this, as I'm just getting home from work and finding out about it. packaged lettuce in 23 states has been recalled. The article doesn't say what strain it was, only that it was a rare strain. So possible causes could be animal feces on the lettuce farm, or bad employee handwashing techniques at the packaging plant.

abcnews. go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by eightonefive

Ahhh man I avoided the POPCORN scare on the other thread but...

I love salad and romaine lettuce is a favorite ingredient with onions, tomatoes, Mushrooms, Carrot shreds, cucumber, Bell Peppers etc

I guess I'll have to simply eat the steak and potatoes.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
The list of states so far is as follows:

Alabama, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin

I'd be careful wherever you are though. Bloody Stool and death are things I don't like to take chances with.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by eightonefive
The list of states so far is as follows:

Alabama, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin

Well I'm in Oregon so maybe there is a chance I'll be fine then. I like my salad with steak and tators

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

So the outbreak is traced to a Yuma Arizona farm.

Hmmm, my CT mind is going into overdrive.

Where did the tomato scare wind up being from a couple years ago?

Wasn't it from Mexico and wasn't the final source found to be jalapenos not tomatoes?

Expect food prices to soar, again. The prices could not be anything to do with the Zimbabwe dollars could it?

Thanks for the article.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

That the lettuce was shredded, reminds me of most packaged salads, the ones that are mixed already. People just open them up and put them in a bowl without washing the lettuce or salad mixes first. Some of them are labeled as being washed already.

I don't buy those sorts of packages for 2 reasons. One being a trust issue, as I always worry how clean the product is, and 2 being the outrageous cost.

I don't remember hearing about these kinds of issues while growing up, and people had to actually wash, and clean their veggies to make a salad.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I would love to know how e-coli happens, I happen to know that us kids use to be healthy as horses and we never washed anything that we ate from the garden. we used cow manure straight from the farm in the fields, and we would pull up carrots and just wipe them off and eat them. Truthfully in my opinion I think its all the chemicals they spray on fields now.

We grew our own lettuce, and we never washed it, we would just tear it and put it in a bowl when making a salad. These days, we have to wash everything. That tells me there are chemicals on everything we eat. I have started this year growing vegetables again, I am tired of having to worry about what we buy in the stores.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by pmbhuntress
I would love to know how e-coli happens, I happen to know that us kids use to be healthy as horses and we never washed anything that we ate from the garden. we used cow manure straight from the farm in the fields, and we would pull up carrots and just wipe them off and eat them. Truthfully in my opinion I think its all the chemicals they spray on fields now.

We grew our own lettuce, and we never washed it, we would just tear it and put it in a bowl when making a salad. These days, we have to wash everything. That tells me there are chemicals on everything we eat. I have started this year growing vegetables again, I am tired of having to worry about what we buy in the stores.

Yes, I grow my own food. I built a greenhouse this year, to get starters going, since our season is short.

I believe it is coming from the air. I believe the planes are spraying chemicals that kill good bacteria, and allow bad bacteria to flourish. The concentrations are relatively small, given the size of the atmosphere.

The large leaves of lettuce gather settling particulates from the atmosphere.

Notice pictures of people on mountain tops show the valleys with a consistent haze. We are being poisoned, slowly as not to cause alarm.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe

Indeed.

Clearly the illegals are protesting the AZ immigration bill by crapping in our salads.

This is getting ugly

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I am with you there I also love to eat at least one green salad and one fruit salad a day.

I love fresh mushrooms also.

But this just terrible, you try to stay in the healthy organic side and even that can kill you, you eat processed foods and GMO could kill you.

I wonder what in the hell is going on with our food supplies.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Indeed.

Clearly the illegals are protesting the AZ immigration bill by crapping in our salads.

This is getting ugly

you made me spit coffee out of my nose. I almost posted the same thing last night, but figured I might be crossing a line lol

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

My mind went to the same place, end.

It's a dirty job, but somebody had to say it.

We are being punished.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Remember a few years ago, when it was lettuce from California. They eventually traced it to human excrement which was in the water source used to water the plants.

Lettuce and spinach are the easiest thing in the world to grow, guys.
They're cool weather plants. Make a little cold -frame outside your back door, and voila! (Sorry for OT).

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Alright, everyone had the exact same thought as I did.

Any medical doctors out there, or biologist's?

Where does this strain of e coli come from?

And the outbreak from California I remember also. It was from the water.

Now, there was a case of this type from a factory where cheese was made. They traced it to a worker's "sanitary" practices.

I have a feeling the irradiation process is going to the "solution".

Gotta have safe food right? Even if it means the destruction of the value of the nutrients.

Purposefully done, I doubt it, but possible.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Where does this strain of e coli come from?

It comes from lower intestines of warm blooded creatures and most strains are harmless.

The lettuce is sprayed with cow feces (fertilizer) because that's what makes it grow fast so they can make more money. Perhaps the farmers get greedy and spray a bit too close to harvest time.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

So you are a biologist or MD?

Some strains of e coli are prevalent in humans, that is where the usual culprit comes from. Not cattle.

Unless the use of the newer GMO's have created these in the cattle. That would not surprise me.

Cattle manure is spread prior to planting. It is NOT sprayed on the plants. Unless of course there is some NEW agriculture method I am not aware of. Which I HIGHLY doubt.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

You know, I grew up with nothing but good old unaltered and tampered food sources from my how family farm.

The fertilizer of choice back in my family farm was cow waste I don't see to remember anyone of us in the family getting sick with stomach problems from eating fresh vegetables and raw milk.

But now it seems that more and more people are getting sick with fresh products when its mass production.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Nope, I'm not a biologist or MD, but I can read and I did pass Biology.

Well, we've had the factory farms for quite awhile (since at least the 70's) and I don't think we had these problems in the past.

Yes, they have always pumped the cow crap out of the tanks onto fields & over crops. So, you have a point. BTW - I once climbed inside them farm septic tanks with an air supply to clean them years ago!

We (they) have to look at what is different and we all know that cows didn't produce nearly as much milk or grow as fast as they do today. So, something in the additives to their food such as pharmaceuticals or hormones is possibly having an effect on the bacteria inside their intestines.

Problem is nobody in the business wants to know the truth especially if it cost them money.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
[Clearly the illegals are protesting the AZ immigration bill by crapping in our salads.

This is getting ugly

Bingo! Maybe they should check IDs' while investigating this act of bioterrorisem. I'm sure they will find an undocumeted canadian or two hiding amoungst all of the legal south of the border farmworkers in the fields.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join