It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you eat Microwavable Commercial Food - think twice again!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Woman sues, says 16 years of inhaling microwave popcorn vapors gave her 'popcorn lung'

"I've been eating popcorn many years, but now I wish I hadn't. It's made me very sick," she told the Daily News in between coughing fits yesterday.

"I was eating two or three bags of popcorn a day. I didn't know it would destroy my lungs."

The Far Rockaway woman is one of a handful of consumers who has sued over exposure to the additive biacetyl, which gives popcorn its buttery taste.

Several factory workers also have sued the Ohio company and other popcorn makers, resulting in more than $100 million in settlements, lawyers say.

The workers claim the additive has destroyed airways in their lungs.

Mercado learned last month she has a condition known as bronchiolitis obliterans. She says she ate Act II Lite popcorn every day from 1991 to 2007.

Mercado is confined to a desk job at a Rockaway nursing home and carries an oxygen tank with her everywhere she goes, said her lawyer, Wendy Fleishman.

"She has to work in a sedentary job," Fleishman said. "She just had a horrible reaction to this. It should never have been added to microwave popcorn or any other food."

Also named as defendants in the suit filed yesterday in Queens Supreme Court are several biacetyl manufacturers.

In February, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said it was reviewing whether consumers are at risk of lung disease through prolonged exposure to the additive.

A spokeswoman for ConAgra could not be reached for comment. The company says it no longer uses biacetyl as an additive.

www.nydailynews.com...

Sorry this is my first time posting so I am not very sure what do and how to do.

If you are eating microwavable commercial products such as microwavable popcorn, think twice before you do it.

What do you think of the article?

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
if this same chemical is in Orville
Redenbackers popcorn
then I'm in deep trouble

anybody know ???

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I wish I knew, but can't help you there.

Just want to send out the warning... good luck..

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Ouch, how bad is this news?

In a press release dated December 17, 2007, ConAgra Foods, maker of Orville Redenbacher's and Act II microwave popcorn brands, announced it had removed added diacetyl from all of its butter-flavored microwave popcorn varieties. The new products began hitting store shelves as early as October 2007.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Not surprising, and quite sad.

My mom eats that bagged popcorn like crazy, and my sis too.

My sis is disabled, but that could just be coincidence.

There is no better time than the present to reeducate on healthier food choices.

I was raised on home cooking, American style. Mac and cheese, casseroles with lots of beans cheese and biscuits, tater tots, fish sticks sloppy joes, etc. Kool aide was considered a great alternative to pop, which dad did not purchase often not because of ingredients but because it cost too much. It was how a lot of families ate in those days, and shame on the food companies for doing this to us. Shame on us collectively for allowing businessmen to feed us instead of taking control of that ourselves.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by thepathoverseer

She says she ate Act II Lite popcorn every day from 1991 to 2007.

What kind of person eats popcorn everyday for 16 years?
My God! that's like, let me do the math here. Carry the one ummm..

That's 5840 Bags of corn.

That's if they just had only one bag a day. Not counting Sodas etc.

MODERATION people!

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   

I do not eat anything I see advertised on TV Or in print ads in the MSM...And I make sure I can at least pronounce every ingredient...And trying harder and harder to eat as local as possible...

Plant your own food and ya don't have to worry about a thing! (except for GMO pollen crossing the field and affecting your crops

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Popcorn? Really? Glad I stopped eating it. I used to eat a few bags a week but when I went on my diet and saw how many calories are in one bag I stopped. I had no idea it could be damaging my health somehow.

I try to stay away from microwavable food now, anything with tons of preservatives, frozen processed foods as well.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   

eating two or three bags of popcorn a day

every day from 1991 to 2007

Did you know that if you suck on vitamin c tablets for several hours at a time you can dissolve your gums to the point that they bleed?

Oh noes! Time to ban vitamin C!

I don't eat microwaved popcorn. But if I did, this article wouldn't stop me.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

why a code tag and not an ex tag? That's not code, right?

Interesting article, I eat the same popcorn, but I never breathed the fumes if I could help it.

Originally posted by SLAYER69

She says she ate Act II Lite popcorn every day from 1991 to 2007.

What kind of person eats popcorn everyday for 16 years?
My God! that's like, let me do the math here. Carry the one ummm..

That's 5840 Bags of corn.

That's if they just had only one bag a day. Not counting Sodas etc.

She had 3 bags a day, that's not moderation.

But I noticed they keep making everything smaller. All the bags used to be 3.5 oz and that's what the popcorn button on my microwave is programmed to cook. But now ACTII is only 3 ounces and I see some other brands are down to 2.8 ounces. By the time they are down to 1.75 oz then 2 new bags will equal one old bag. Some foods are almost at that point already, where they've downsized so much you have to buy 2 new bags to get as much as one old bag used to have.

Looking at my ACTII bag now, it says the butter flavor is natural, that's a pleasant surprise, I assumed it was chemicals, and I guess up until 2007, it was.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
in defense of popcorn, it's actually pretty good for you. it's like pure fiber. add a little oil (when you cook over the stove, never in a microwave) salt, butter, and any of your favorite spices. we all need fat, salt, and fiber. popcorn is actually what cereal started as (thank you alton brown). it's actually not bad at all if you make it yourself from scratch, but you can never trust big companies to be so scrutinizing in every bag of popcorn they pump out, or the corners they cut to produce them cheaply.

i personally really don't enjoy the stuff unless there's nothin else to eat, and believe it or not, that's been the case before. i don't even really like the smell of buttered popcorn (dunno what's wrong with me!)

but i think the definition of poison should be changed to only an adjective--anything can be poisonous, and nothing is ever explicitly a poison.

poison is defined by quantity only.
arsenic (B17) is a good example--it devours cancer.

we age by breathing too much. we can die from drinking too much water.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

it says the butter flavor is natural, that's a pleasant surprise,
I assumed it was chemicals

Chemicals are natural. Arsenic, lead, mercury...all totally natural.

Just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it's good for you.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

I don't assume butter is good for me due to the high fat content, but I trust butter more than chemical formulations. What I mean is that it's real butter (cream,salt).

The ingredients are: Popping Corn, Palm Oil, Salt, less than 2% of: Butter (cream,salt), Natural flavor, color added, TBHQ and citric acid (for freshness).

I don't know what's in "Natural flavor" but I don't think it's lead and arsenic. I'm curious though.

The really bad stuff is the Palm Oil, that's where the most of the high fat content comes from. One bag has 40.5 grams of fat and you're not supposed to have more than 50 grams of fat a day! The bag shows only 9 grams per serving but the serving size is less than a quarter of a bag and I doubt many people eat less than half a bag.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I don't eat anything out of a microwave. Google Dangers of Microwave Radiation. I would rather be called a crazy than end up with something like stomach cancer.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Be very wary with umbrella terms such as Natural flavour, or Spices in food. As Kevin Trudeau pointed out in Natural Cures They Don't Want You To Know About, why wouldn't a food manufacturer put thyme, oregano, dill, or other spices on the labeling? It's because these are umbrella terms which can include a wide variety of substances that don't match the descriptions. It's enigmatic, and it's despicable, but somehow it's allowed. My concern with the Codex is the allowance of the deadly PoPs in foods under the assumption that they are simply to regulate for farmers that may still have pesticides on their fields. But have you noticed anything lately that suggests a depopulation plan? This could just as easily be a backdoor policy to allow it into foods under umbrella terms such as these. Let alone nanotech, or the fact that labels don't list everything anyway.

The only way to be sure soon is to avoid anything not fresh and preferably, organic. The future on food is full of ingredient censure, food tampering, and the time to adjust is Now!
However inconvenient that may be, this is far from fear-mongering.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
If you eat anything to excess it will harm you even water!!!!! Three bags of popcorn a day is just stupid. It sounds like she is trying to lay blame for her dietary dumbness onto "anybody else" that a lawyer can sue. The world is going mad (US is the champion) where nobody takes responsibility for their own actions anymore and seeks to lay blame on somebody else.

CX

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread, very interesting indeed.

There wa a thread discussed on ATS a while back, about a school project a grandad did with his grandaughter, regarding different types of water used to feed plants. I believe it was tap water, distilled water and microwaved water.

Guess which one was most harmfull to the plant?

CX.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart
in defense of popcorn, it's actually pretty good for you. it's like pure fiber. add a little oil

Yes Yes Yes But....

This is not stove popped corn, this is butter and salt etc. In LARGE amounts!
Every day. Not to mention the ingredient in question.

CX

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Here's the thread about the microwaved water, started back in 2006 by fellow member dgtempe...

See what using microwaved water can do

I think there was talk of the harm being caused by the chemical reaction from the plastics containers used though, so maybe it's not so bad if you empty it out first?

As Slayer says though, large amounts every day is not a good thing.

Evereything in moderation people.

CX.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
if this same chemical is in Orville
Redenbackers popcorn
then I'm in deep trouble

anybody know ???

It doesnt really matter if they take this out or not. If you arent eating organic popcorn you are eating GMO corn and that will get you sick anyway.........

top topics

<<   2 >>

join