It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you back a currency up by something other than gold like say hyper pure water?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Can you back a currency up by something other than gold like say hyper pure water? With the nwo buying up the gold/silver why can't you start a purine water standard?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Yes, of course. e.g. The dollar hasn't been backed up by anything except faith in the American government / system for over 100 years. Anything of value can back a currency, and the value can even be somewhat illusory, just as long as people accept it as value. (I have a finance degree)

Then think about this: even gold's value is based in currency. And the value of anything is only really set by the next most valuable use (it's opportunity cost).

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

The simple answer is a big fat YES!

Getting people to agree is the main problem!

Personal Disclosure: I discuss a possible currency type here...

What actions are required to fully undermine any NWO currencies before they are imposed!

P.S Value is all about INDIVIDUAL perception. Currently I rate a handfull of bad jokes as worth far more than any amount of US$'s!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Yes. In a worst case scenario where large or important sources of water were contaminated, or unavailable due to massive droughts in any given area, radiation, etc. clean water would
be more valuable than gold. You can't drink gold.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I've been working on a return to the barter system.

Been doing a lot of "I'll work on this for you if you fix that for me" lately.

Then again, I'm a techno geek living in a building with a lot of seniors, and seniors have one thing in abundance - experience in MANY different fields, and a seeming reluctance to deal with modern technology.

I reckon if we put everyone in this building together with a bunch of materlals we could build almost anything.

The value of anything is only as much as the next person is willing to pay for it. The value of a currency is the biggest illusion in history, along with the debt load that most people carry linked to the supposed value of that currency.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Money that is backed by any commodity is a good idea. Money is essentially a promise. In the case of fiat currency (the dollar) the promise is of future returns on the value of the note based upon a common-held belief that the note is worth something. Hyperinflation occurs when the common-held belief is destroyed.

Using a system of liquid assets (money) with the promise of a tangible good (pure drinking water, gold, silver, copper etc) is much more stable than fiat money as it is not bent by the will of government to pay for war, social programs, or to utilize for inflationary purposes and the creation of booms that only go bust (central banking).

LINK TO MISES INSTITUTE ON MONEY

This is a good resource on the history of money, history of government manipulation of money, and sound banking principles.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Put simply for easier understanding.

In the ancient past, mankind bartered. I bushel of wheat for I fish. The exchange was informal and often subject to controversy. Then they discovered gold. Gold is the only known metal that last forever back them. It's value remain always.

The Chinese invented the cheque book - a piece of paper certifying the amount of gold you can take at a central depositry in exchange for goods or services. It was built up over time and trust in these paper documents. It was also more efficient and safer than lugging heavy bags of gold to buy expensive goods.

Marco Polo who visited China brought such innovations to Europe. And thus born the gold standard - paper notes called dollars backed by gold deposits, which US govt holds the most after WW2, paid by other nations to rebuild their war wrecked countries.

Even as the world moved from the gold standard and made use of the US dollar as a standard, that dollar is still backed by gold and other resource assets such as mineral, infrastructure and more critically - stability. Instead of holding dollars, other nations are holding US dollars, which was confidently believe that it can be exchanged anytime if so required. That was the trust of holding the US dollar.

But back on topic, any resource can be used as a backing for the dollar note. The only problem is:-

a.) Can it last forever as a collateral?

Simply because if if you backed eg: 1 barrel of oil with a dollar note, then when the oil is used up, that dollar note becomes worthless. If one day there is no more oil in this world, the notes printed and held as savings would become worthless.

b. ) Is that resource a rare and valued commodity ?

If trees are used a backing for the dollar, then those dollar notes printed will be devalued easily, because anyone can plant and grow trees anywhere and print more dollar notes, flooding the market with paper and causing skyhigh inflation.

If diamonds are used, then the dollar notes printed would be scarce, because there is not much so quartz on our planet. With little money printed and circulated, many will starve instead.

Having determined gold as a better commerce resource, and as long as the world is at peace and people have needs and desires to be met, gold will remain the standard.

But a question will remain - what do we do with so much gold? Suppose Mutually Aided Destruction happened, and you are the only few left alive. What are you going to do with all the gold that remains? Can you buy food or water with it? Or, more scary, if there was no war, what if there was no gold in the vaults?

Just my 2cts.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I believe we should have a moneyless system, but thats just me.

Money sux, what can you do with $100 nowdays?Barely Feed yourself fot a week?

10-15 vyears ago, you could of fed a family of 3 for an entire month with that.

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Senz20]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
dumho, I give you my p!ss, you can back up ur currencies with it, for all I care.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Bartering is fine, but the only problem is, for example - you wanna buy a comp, and it costs you 20 bags of corn cobs. Not an issue if you are a farmer, but what happens to the computer company selling 30,000 computers a year? Can you imagine the chaos it result. Think of storage, spoilage, production of computers, etc...a nitemare if mankind is to evolve beyond the jungle into cities and space.

Perhaps a suggestion would be countries to print their own dollars based on the natural resources they own, such as agriculture and mineral. The govt takes up all the produce, and then trade with other nations. Once paid, the govt will print their own dollars based upon what was recieved in barter and distribute such dollars to the producers to spend.

And such dollars' value be based on free market of supply and demand laws. That note is easier to facillate trade than commerce. And that dollar printed was based upon real products paid in value by others.

Just a suggestion.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
You could back up a currency with anything. Good choices are things that are not easily destroyed, and things easily recognizable. Gold was used for a long time because it fits those criteria, as would most metals, but gold is particularly good because it doesn't rust and it has distinctive characteristics, like colour. I wouldn't recommend hyper pure water to back up currency because it could easily be 'counterfeited'; there aren't any simple tests to distinguish it from tap water, though of course it can be done.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

The First Bank of Antimatter will open on November 12 in San Francisco. This institution, with its own unique financial instruments, is the brainchild of conceptual artist Jonathon Keats. It will be backed by private Swiss funding.

article

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Senz20

Money sux, what can you do with $100 nowdays?Barely Feed yourself fot a week?

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Senz20]

Where do you shop? I spend 20 dollars a week on food and have dead animal and vegetables and ice cream and imported german coffee with half and half every day. You must not have ever been poor. You would have learned how to eat on much less than $100 a week.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

yes you can..

the trick is to maintain a fiat currency but get it out of the hands of the privately owned federal reserve we pay interest too to print the governments money needed to run our country..

Google Video Link

Google Video Link

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Just want to mention that (purified) water would not be a good currency or commodity with which to back a currency. It is cumbersome, difficult to transport and store, susceptible to many forms of contamination, purification can potentially be a complex process, very unevenly distributed geographically but nevertheless almost ubiquitous, and naturally occurring in an easy-to-collect form (rain). Certain metals are ideal for a number of reasons - they are limited in availability and thus possess some inherent value, easily recognizable/distinguishable, very durable, and portable in reasonable quantities.

One of the objections I've heard in regard to returning to a gold- or even silver-backed currency is that our economy is simply too large and the supply of either metal too small, there would be very VERY little gold/silver for every dollar. Additionally, the government owns very little gold, the vast majority is held by banks, private corporations and individuals, and foreign governments. Our government would have to acquire a large portion of it somehow. I'm sure this could be dealt with somehow; if someone with more specific knowledge of the matter would care to explain...

When it comes to wealth, always remember this - you can't eat gold.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
countries like egypt,saudi arabia,singapore,japan and spain buy water in bulk. They need water for a lot of things making a currency system backed up by the ability to provide fresh water for crops,people and factories(chemical and other) is just as good as backing money up with blind trust (the dollar,euro).

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
The best thing to back up a currency is a fantastic standard of living.

Plus lots of weapons to destroy anybody that doesn't agree.

But mainly just a wonderful life to be had.

Who wouldn't want to play your currency game with you, if you provided a kickass lifestyle full of freedom and choice and material pleasures?

Remember that people actually BREAK INTO America because it is so freaking awesome. The Left won't win. The Communists won't win. The U.S. will continue to dominate.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Know what will be worth a hell of alot in the future ???

a shotgun.

I've named mine Shooter Mcgavin.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
No need for a commodity.

Google "public credit"

Or see Ellen Brown's book "Web of Debt"

Money is only an idea. Limiting its use to what's available in the material world will limit what we can do with an economy that uses money.

Gold is not the answer either.

As long as there are people willing to work that aren't, and there are needs of the economy that are not met, then our system has not reached its potential. We should always rewrite the rules until the above two conditions are met.

new topics

top topics

join