It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Investigation As Voters Turned Away At Polls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Investigation As Voters Turned Away At Polls

news.sky.com

Alex Watts, Sky News Online
An inquiry has been launched after chaos reigned at polling stations across the country when angry voters were turned away from ballot boxes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Well this certainly sucks.

I got to vote fortunately for all it is worth...

However, I would have been seriously pissed if I had arrived at the polling station at 9:30pm and had to queue for so long that I got turned away at ten. I know the polling stations shut at ten but if there is a huge queue then who is to blame?
The voter? I think not.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
These people had to wait at least an hour before being told they can't vote. Apparently one woman had been back to the station 10 times!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
An unlucky policeman given the job of breaking the bad news...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Hate to say it but if they are going to leave it to that time of night then unlucky, they should have went on their lunch break, assuming any of them worked

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by On the level

I kind of agree but if you work outside of your local area then you can't just pop down to the polling station on your break.

One woman said she had been back ten times and the queue's were massive all day.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
LOL! Gotta love democracy.... They don't even have mob rules so the 51% can tell the 49% what to do.... Maybe now some of them will get a clue that thier vote really doesn't count and they don't even really have the democracy they think they have. It's really an oligarchy with the illusion of voting and mob rules/representative government.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Sounds like they need more polling stations to me. Surely they had some idea that this would happen before hand. It doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to figure out that the more registered voters you have the more polling stations you need to get them all through before closing time.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Elections are a foregone conclusion in all western nations probaly elsewhere too.this just shows how sloppy they are getting

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bilder
Elections are a foregone conclusion in all western nations probaly elsewhere too.this just shows how sloppy they are getting

haha yeah look at all the talk and "predictions" of a hung parliament a couple of days leading to the election, and then now ?

oooh hung parliament.

coincidence or not its crap, not being able to cast your vote, even if you feel its not gonna make a difference, is really stripping people of their civil rights

i vote re-vote

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

I agree, if these people don't get to cast their vote then hopefully it will show everyone what a mockery the whole thing is.
This could be the tipping point for the two horse race but I doubt it...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by warsawprice

I vote re-vote too.
Everyone should.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Another article on this story.
www.guardian.co.uk...

Interesting bit at the end of the article:

In Lewisham, two polling stations remained open after 10pm to allow voters to cast their ballots. A council spokesman insisted that those voters had been issued ballot papers before the 10pm deadline.

That is what all of the polling stations should have done.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
1) Voting day should be a national holiday.
2) Voting should be obligatory in order to qualify for the holiday.
3) The system should be PR.
4) Campaign funding should be entirely public.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
You Brits need to study the 2004 US Presidential race. Someone over there is using the old Republican dirty tricks. Over here there were not enough voting machines in heavily Democratic districts. Voters were turned away for being supposed felons and on and on. I'm sad to see that the UK has followed us on this slippery slope of vote manipulation. We didn't protest loud enough or hard enough and now our votes don't matter. It looks like yours don't either anymore.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Indeed, I find this very reminiscent of Bush's second term.

We all know this stinks of trouble.

I seriously hope people will make a stand about this but as I said earlier...
I doubt it.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

If you English don't absolulety threaten to tear down Parliament brick by brick you can kiss any illusion of democratic representation goodbye. Once those electronic voting machines get it it's over.
After all the suffering of WW2 to defeat fascism it just comes waltzing in to Mother England wearing three-piece suits. How truly sad..
Where are all the bulldogs!!? Where are the insane Englishmen when you need them?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Smoldering.

Second line to make this post fine.

new topics

top topics

join