It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe in coincidences ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Do you believe in coincidences ?

A Coincidence occurs when something uncanny, accidental and unexpected happens. The word is derived from the Latin co- ("in", "with", "together") and incidere ("to fall on"). In science, the term is generally used in a more literal translation, e.g., referring to when two rays of light strike a surface at the same point at the same time. In this usage of coincidence, there is no implication that the alignment of events is surprising, noteworthy or non-causal.

en.wikipedia.org...

Recently, I've read alot about coincidences, destiny,etc. and I am still searching for the "truth"..
I'm pretty much certain that coincidences don't exist and they are signs of life, destiny, or whaterver is controlling this world
... But this is my opinion, based on many experiences like the one I talked about in Divine Intervention and a world first ...

I can agree that sometimes, odds can trick our brain, and believing in everything is bad.. But sometimes I feel like there must be something more.. that we can't understand or see..

So yep, I do believe that coincidence are not the fruit of our imagination, but more a sign of destiny..

What do YOU think? Am I crazy
?

I'm really interested in your opinions about his!

Thanks,
Jolois

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
look into Carl Jung's concept of "synchronicity"...everything happens for a reason

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I think coincidences sometimes happen for devine reasons. I'm still searching for those reasons and guess i will be for awhile.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I think thats how God works:

Cause and Effect which concludes to coincidence

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
It depends on the coincidence. If it's something small, like meeting a friend somewhere only to discover you're wearing matching clothing then yes. If it's something big, like running into someone you haven't seen in years when you'd just been thinking about them recently then no. When it comes to the big stuff I believe everything happens for a reason, though sometimes the reasons aren't discovered until a significant amount of time has lapsed.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
or all other possibilities that could have occured in a concious level of understanding throughout the universe happened and have fell short of the possible and the only true possibility that happened did in fact happen created an amazing moment in time

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Its more fun when you don't believe in coincidences.

It actually creates a story. A story that is sometimes entertaining, funny, exciting, mysterious.

If you do believe in coincidences, you can't help imagining the feeling of how dramatic it would be if it was scripted.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I am pretty sure coincidences by definition do occur.. by as juveous says it is fun to believe nothing happens by chance and your every move is scripted. If you do something with enough repetition, but your notice some really strange things happening that defy odds of occurring naturally. I think it has alot do frequency, and one's perception of noticing... for example how you might consider something to be uncanny. I always tell my friend that nothing happens by chance, but of course it most likely does.

Once upon a time in my life, I could being thinking about something or talking about something and it would come on TV almost on queue. It used to freak me out.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jolois

WOW! I was just about to start a thread called:

Do You Believe In Coincidences?

What a coincidence!

IRM

[edit on 7/5/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
reply to post by jolois

Do You Believe In Coincidences

What a coincidence!

IRM

It was NOT a coincidence.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
No I don't believe in coincidence .To me I call this synchronicity and experience this many times a day .I would be decieving myself if I saw it any otherway . To simplify this it is simply recognizing the universal paterns .

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
No I don't believe in coincidence .To me I call this synchronicity and experience this many times a day .I would be decieving myself if I saw it any otherway . To simplify this it is simply recognizing the universal paterns .

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
reply to post by jolois

Do You Believe In Coincidences

What a coincidence!

IRM

It was NOT a coincidence.

Ahahaha

@ Everyone else : Thanks for your answers..
Me too, I think that "Big" coincidences happens for a reason..

If anyone is interested in Carl Jung's synchronicity ...
www.carl-jung.net...

Thanks for all your replies.. it makes me think!

Cheers, and peace!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Coincidence is simply a confluence of events that have apparent meaning to an individual. There is nothing divine or supernatural about them. Their significance is determined and assigned by the individual.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
Coincidence is simply a confluence of events that have apparent meaning to an individual. There is nothing divine or supernatural about them. Their significance is determined and assigned by the individual.

Scientifically yes.
To our understanding, yes.

To my understanding... no

Sometimes the coincidences are just too powerfull to be coincidences. Especially when something happens in your life at the same time...

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jolois
If anyone is interested in Carl Jung's synchronicity ...
www.carl-jung.net...

Fascinating book! Also one that has only ever made more sense in the decade and a half since I read it. I for one am definitely with Jung on this one.

The whole idea of the subconscious being outside of 3d spacetime, and filtering down the vast slew of information it is bombarded with to allow certain specific, relevant things to reach the level of consciousness makes perfect sense to me. Look at a chair and your mind does a similar thing; you don't register every aspect of the chair, just that it is an object that fits into the category of "chair" without needing to devote any further mental processing power to it.

If it wasn't like this Derren Brown would be out of a job.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Scientifically yes.

Sometimes the coincidences are just too powerfull to be coincidences. Especially when something happens in your life at the same time...

If they're "too powerful" then you have assigned a significance that is profound only to you. The root cause is that YOU assigned the significance. Things just happen, you give them meaning.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Scientifically yes.

If they're "too powerful" then you have assigned a significance that is profound only to you. The root cause is that YOU assigned the significance. Things just happen, you give them meaning.

Yeah.. i guess

@ Karilla - I'm happy to have helped/given you a good read/link! Thanks for replying!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Thanks to the OP for posting this thread,we all have had at least one strange thing that has occurred that seems to be more than just coincidence.
Sometimes I feel these events are Gods way of telling us to look deeper at this event, or to wake up and remember things forgotten.
Perhaps they are like alarms ...where we are given the chance to redeem ourselves ,or simply wake up from this dream state called life?
Is it just coincidence that we are all alive on this planet?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Conspire
Thanks to the OP for posting this thread,we all have had at least one strange thing that has occurred that seems to be more than just coincidence.
Sometimes I feel these events are Gods way of telling us to look deeper at this event, or to wake up and remember things forgotten.
Perhaps they are like alarms ...where we are given the chance to redeem ourselves ,or simply wake up from this dream state called life?
Is it just coincidence that we are all alive on this planet?

Wow your last sentence is mind-boggling...
I too, feel like coincidences are "signs" from the world... alarms to awake our "true" self!

new topics

top topics

join