It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think About It!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
If you woke up this morning with more health than sickness ,
you are luckier than the million people that will not survive this week.

If you have never experienced war, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or famine, then you are luckier than 500 million people in this world who have experienced it.

If there is a meal in your fridge, If your dressed up and have clothes, if you have a bed and a roof over your head, you are better off than 75% of people on this earth.

If you are able to go to a church, mosque or synagogue without fear of harassment, torture, arrest or death then you are better off than 3 billion people in this world.

If your parents are still alive and still married you are a rarity.

If you have a bank account, money in your wallet, and there are coins in your coin jar, you belong to 8% of the worlds most well provided people.

If you are reading this text then you are blessed three times as much, because someone has thought of you.

You do not belong to the 2 billion people which cannot read, and you have a computer!

Someone once said: Work like you don't need money, Love like you have never been hurt, dance like nobody is watching, and sing like nobody is listening.

This is your world and you are able to make changes!

I received this in an email and it really made me think twice about how well off I have it and how I take so many things for granted. Hopefully this made others think about their not so bad situations also even when we think we have it so hard off.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Oh, yes. I think of things like this whenever some little thing seems to go wrong.
On Sunday we experienced a flood here in my area. Our cellar filled to the ceiling. Our sump pump worked relentlessly to keep the water pumped out to no avail. I was able to rent a large gas powered electric pump to lower the water level. Water seeped into our utility room and living room. We took every single towel, wash cloth, rug, bedspread and blanket to soak up the incoming water. We used a shop vac to get what the cloth could not soak up. The rain finally subsided and things are better now. The furnace/AC and the water heater shorted out, though. We will address this later.

Meanwhile, while all this was going on, my granddaughters were really upset, crying, etc. I told them, "Hey, these are just THINGS that are ruined or damaged. WE are okay, though. We still have the roof over our heads. We are quite fortunate, even while this is happening to us."

Oh, well, it didn't stop the crying. lol

I don't know if all the statistics in your email are correct, but I do know, from experience, there are one hell of a lot of people in the world that have it much worse than I can even imagine for myself and mine.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

Well, I can only think of one thing to even say in response to this thread you started.

It actually came from a very wise man.

"Life is a bitch and then you die."

And it is for all those people you mentioned.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

I agree! We're so caught up with the Doom & Gloom on this site, that it is refreshing to see that our lives are pretty darn good comparitively speaking. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'd rather live in this age, than be in the Middle Ages - where famine, death, rape, poverty, etc. was around you on a daily basis. I'm very thankful for everything I have, my family, my home, and my friends.

S&F for you, my friend! A great positive post.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
With modern medicine, electricity, food stores, and plumbing; even the poorest citizens live better than Kings, Emperors and Pharaohs did. We are truly so blessed and most people don't even know it or worse yet take it for granted. We live in interesting times for sure.

I thank God every day (or at least every time I pray) that I am so blessed and have such knowledge at my fingertips.

I also know how fleeting this can be.... one huge EMP burst from the sun and "game over".... had to throw that in, how's that for the Doom? LOL

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

while ur post was thought provoking
I have a problem with ur numbers
and think u r exaggerating them for effect.

Can you please post your source for the numbers please ???

Also, it's not what we have that is scrutinized.
It is what is being taken away on a daily basis.

I use to have a house
it now is gone

I use to have a job
it is now gone

I use to have a marriage
it is now gone

I use to have spending money
it is now gone

I use to have a stove
it is now gone

I use to have an ice maker
it is now gone

I use to have good health
it is now gone

I use to have health insurance
it is now gone

I use to have a stable budget
it is now gone

I use to have a future
it is now gone

I use to have freedoms
most are now gone

I use to have a fun life
it is now gone

I use to have a working toilet
it is now gone

I use to have a big bed
now I sleep on the floor mattress

I use to be free
now I breathe in slavery to a dysfunctional system

You can call that a blessing if you want to.
I call it oppression and tyranny.

It's not what we have ....
it's what we are losing or have lost
that makes the biggest impact

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Like I said this information came from an email and I just relayed it to this tread...

If the numbers have been exaggerated for effect then I had nothing to do with it because like I pointed out I am not the author of this info...

And did you ever stop to think that maybe you fit into the group that really does not have it well off?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
...but what if you're rich? What does Loydd Blankfeins email look like?

"You're fortunate that you made 300 million dollars last year, while 20% of workers lost their jobs, have not gotten them back yet, and are teetering on bankruptcy.

You've got a roof over your head -- with a chandelier which costs more than the average American will make in a life time; and you probably never actually bother to even tilt your head up every once in a while to look at the damn thing -- but you have comfort knowing that it's there.

etc.."

Suddenly that first letter sounds like we're all being screwed a little bit...

... it's all a matter of perspective

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Don't get me wrong I agree with your outlook, life is surely not fair or kind to everyone and that is just the way things are and always have been.

Here are some stats that can be backed up that give a pretty good idea of how bad a large percent of the population really have it.

At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day.

Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names.Source

Some 1.1 billion people in developing countries have inadequate access to water, and 2.6 billion lack basic sanitation.

Almost two in three people lacking access to clean water survive on less than $2 a day, with one in three living on less than $1 a day.

www.globalissues.org...://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats/26/poverty-facts-and-stats

Those are just a handful of the stats on that website take a look if you want to read them all.

top topics

join