It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Breaking) "FCC Prepares to Re-Regulate Broadband Providers" Nuclear Option***

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Look's like the Fed's are going after the Internet full bore....

Snippet from story.........

"Reversing a controversial deregulation decision made by the Bush administration, the FCC will seek to force broadband internet providers to adhere to some of the rules that have long applied to the nation’s landline phone providers.

The decision will be announced officially tomorrow by FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, according to a senior FCC official’s statement Wednesday, and will likely set off a firestorm of protests from the nation’s well-connected telecommunications industry".

Read More wired.com

www.wired.com... Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

[edit on 5-5-2010 by freetree64]

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
also, attempt to fix link

[edit on Wed May 5 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
More link's to this story below.......

news.cnet.com...

www.pcmag.com...

content.usatoday.com...

www.reuters.com...

[edit on 5-5-2010 by freetree64]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
AP version of this story below, seem's like huge new's... but no one's on it yet, guess we'll know about it, when the FED's start enforcing it eh?

www.google.com...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
The government has built such a monsterous structure of controls that they have loop holes to make just about anything their business. Evidently they don't like people being able to exchange ideas freely. IT allows to much light to be cast on the cockroaches,and they sure can't have that can they?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Yea I posted about this option a bit earlier...

Dems, sneaking in another bill

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Understood, but is the FTC the FCC??? just curious, seem's like a similiar bill, but this just got reported in the last hour or two.....

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Its the similar bill and it is the FTC with a power grab.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Not quite the same, as this snippet from this article suggest's, different power grab, I believe, check it out..... your story is about the bill, this is different

www.macworld.com...

"The U.S. Federal Communications Commission will move to partially reclassify broadband as a common-carrier service in an attempt to move forward with net neutrality rules and its national broadband plan, an official there said Wednesday.

The FCC will move to reclassify broadband from a largely unregulated information service to a more regulated common-carrier service under Title II of the Communications Act, but the agency will try to establish that it will not regulate many areas of broadband, an FCC official said.

The decision by FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, to be announced Thursday, comes after a decision last month by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, in which the court ruled the FCC did not have the authority to enforce informal net neutrality principles against Comcast".

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I guess they are going to take another crack at with the FCC trying to grab the power. The courts should rule it down just like they did previously. Internet should remain a free entity, FTC is after something even bigger than what this current news is stating then. Both with similar goals, the end of OPEN INtERNET.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Yep, your right, they are all after the same thing... "Control" and it will result in thing's going on that none of us want to see, I hear ya, and we can only hope and pray it doesn't come to that, but hey with the way thing's are going around this world these day's, one can merely wonder, and theorize what will eventually be......

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
The government has built such a monsterous structure of controls that they have loop holes to make just about anything their business. Evidently they don't like people being able to exchange ideas freely. IT allows to much light to be cast on the cockroaches,and they sure can't have that can they?

Your exactly right, they don't like that people like you and me and others on this forum and other sites can talk and express ideas new or old. Look at this site, I believe for awhile ATS had close to 1 million people visit and not knowing who are members or the amount, could be 20% or more. Believe it or not we are a community in cyberspace. We don't know who each other look like or even care, but we do care about the ideas and discussions that are put out on different posts. So lets say like in this OP that 30,000 people are looking it over and such and some of those are posting. Someone may or may not post information that is dead on that they got from work or from someone telling them (family member or loved one). Also being all of us can research via the net and our hidden expertises, with little bits and pieces of true information one or more of us can figure out the whole puzzle and explain it to everybody.

What we have here is a website of thousands and thousands of investigative journalists without credentials or scientists or researchers. The govt. doesn't like this, because they can't hide or manipulate this medium as they can the MSM. Of course you will get those that are destroying the flow of the discussion becasue they are "paid to". Your talking too or corrosponding to individuals all over the planet in different professions and different ages and experiences. You add all that up, you have a think tank of immense proportions.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

Well said brother, that's it to a "T" and spot on......

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Should be interesting, lawsuits are going to fly as soon as this action is taken. Of course the guy from "Free Press" is going to applaud the decision that guy is a commie that favors everything totalitarian.

I wouldn't worry to much about it, there very well could be an injunction filed against the FCC, as the precedent set by the last case states that no laws exists for the FCC to regulate the internet.

We will see though.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
If this opens local areas to multiple companies (like it used to be), this may be good. I dont think they will regulate it like this.

I have a bad feeling .

"We are from the government and we're here to help you."

the eleven most terrifying words.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Wow, the responses to this breaking news basically forced me to join and post.

I am not naive enough to say that government should do basically everything for us but in theory, they should be there to set the ground rules by which everyone "plays" by. When there is too much control, you get Russia. When there isn't enough control, you get the U.S. economy any time between now and about a year and a half, to two years ago.

Maybe re-regulation of broadband providers isn't the answer but just because the government isn't telling you what you can and can't see or do doesn't mean that someone else isn't. If you read the article on Wired.com, you would see that "The ruling (against the FCC) came in a case where Comcast appealed an FCC order that forbade the carrier from blocking peer-to-peer file sharing."

So who in this case is the one denying "freedom"? Big, bad government or every conservative's real lord and savior, Big Business. Besides, the government doesn't need to have regulation to control the internet. They already do.

new topics

top topics

join