It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elusive tetraquark spotted in a data forest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
www.newscientist.com...

Quote from source:
The keepers at Particle Zoo should ready a new enclosure. Particle hunters are claiming a sighting of a beast of legend – the tetraquark. A jumbo particle made up of four quarks, it is a hitherto undiscovered form of matter.

Tetraquarks were first posited to exist over 30 years ago, as solutions to the equations of quantum chromodynamics. QCD is a theory developed to describe how quarks combine to make two-quark mesons, such as pions and kaons, and three-quark baryons like protons or neutrons.

Although QCD allows for particles made of higher numbers of quarks, such exotic variants have remained in the wild because the physicists hunting them lacked instruments with the power and sensitivity to detect them

I am glad we finally have verified research that shows us a tetraquark. Now for the penta...

I thought I would share this because a lot of people on here will not realize that this is a big discovery in the world of particle physics. It is important and needed to be shared.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

[edit on 4-5-2010 by predator0187]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
My conceptualization of particle physics was left behind over 30 years ago.
However, if we can stabilize these molecular engineered atoms, we will well be on our way to discovering new energy sources and materials. All to benefit mankind.
This is truly a remarkable discovery, perhaps even within the grasp of a Nobel Prize.
S&F

new topics

join