It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does "celebrity" destroy people psychologically?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLaughingGod

I love that movie.

I have always hated the concept of leaders and followers and hated that people would rather follow someone else than lead their own lives. I now think there is nothing really wrong with being a follower if thats what you're (psychologically) meant to be.. the pide piper didn't have to go off a cliff. If celebs see fans purely as a reflection of themselves personally of course they'd go insane. At first it would be a massive ego boost but (if they have any depth) they'd have to ask themselves if they deserve such reverence and being only human the answer would have to be no. If they merely measure their success by fans then it might be different. Depends on the person I guess.

Ideally a celeb would have a cause and ideal that comes out in their work and that would be what fans follow. Keeps them from being a "godhead" yet leaves room for evolvement. John Lennon is a good example of this but he was made a martre so maybe not.

I am an atheist in all things.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by riley]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych
reply to post by TheLaughingGod

I think it would be the final downfall of all humanity when people start to believe that they're actually "gods".

Royality were considered "ordained by god" and egyption royalty were considered to be actual gods so there's nothing final abut it. At least (unlike religious leaders) celebrities do not abuse their power to the extent of burning people alive or damning people to hell for all eternity.

[edit on 4-5-2010 by riley]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

In a way yes, but in the Egyptian mythology death is a necessary part of life. They understood that this form of existence is only temporary, and that we all must eventually die.

The Tibetan monks prepare to die all their life. It's mostly in the west where death is seen as some kind of punishment, mostly because of the degenerated religious teachings. I'm not afraid to die. I see it as a part of the cycle. Everything must die so new can be born.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I didn't realize that quote was from a movie when I first read it, I only noticed that today when I googled it just to check where it was from.
I instantly remembered it when I read this thread because this is basically what's going on, vanity, narcissism.. make people live and die trying to obtain some unrealistic fantasy that's been pounded into our heads since birth.

I'll have to watch The Devil's Advocate, sounds like a good flick.

Not only ancient pharaohs/emperors viewed themselves as gods, certain types of satanists view themselves as gods too(correct me if I'm wrong, satanists confuse the hell out of me), as well as five percenters(ever heard Wu-Tang? 'What's up god'), and in one way I guess you could say a lot of spiritual people view themselves as god, tiny cells making up the godhead.. though, in many of these cases they don't really think they're 'that type' of gods.. even though it most certainly could get yourself in trouble with your ego.
Anyway, now I'm just rambling.

Great thread!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join