It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fears for crops as shock figures from America show scale of bee catastrophe

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

exerpt from website

[US scientists have found 121 different pesticides in samples of bees, wax and pollen, lending credence to the notion that pesticides are a key problem. "We believe that some subtle interactions between nutrition, pesticide exposure and other stressors are converging to kill colonies," said Jeffery Pettis, of the ARS's bee research laboratory.]

i beleive the chemtrails are intended to weeken humans for the coming release of bio wepons (as tptb lose control they will attempt to kill all)

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Well if the bee's do meet an unfortunate fate, we could always build little remote control robot bees and hire lots of people to fly them around and that would solve the unemployment problem, and keep food growing.
hehe

[edit on 2-5-2010 by Ventessa]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Are there any "bee herders" out there who could train huge swarms of bees to ATTACK THE BL**DY CHEMICAL COMPANIES!

How long are they going to get away scott-free with poisoning us and our planet to line their own pockets and fill us with their artificial genetically modified rubbish?

I hate them, I hate them, I hate them. THEY are the pests and it's time we hold them accountable for what they have been dodging for Decades.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
Are there any "bee herders" out there who could train huge swarms of bees to ATTACK THE BL**DY CHEMICAL COMPANIES!

How long are they going to get away scott-free with poisoning us and our planet to line their own pockets and fill us with their artificial genetically modified rubbish?

I hate them, I hate them, I hate them. THEY are the pests and it's time we hold them accountable for what they have been dodging for Decades.

i would like to point out that as a soverign of an american state you have the right to ask your state to protect your natral soverign rights from.....

you have the right to life
you have the right to procreate

AND it is the job of the state to protect these rights even over the federal govenment and their agencies

its their oath of office that you can take a lein out on if you want to take them to court

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

It is interesting to me that we are 4 years into this looming catastrophe and we still have no idea what could be causing it.

The article seems to suggest that pesticides could be at fault but still suggest that it could be anything

Potential causes range from parasites, such as the bloodsucking varroa mite, to viral and bacterial infections, pesticides and poor nutrition stemming from intensive farming methods. The disappearance of so many colonies has also been dubbed "Mary Celeste syndrome" due to the absence of dead bees in many of the empty hives.

Yet another looming ecological disaster. We certainly do live in interesting times.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

I speculate, unscientifically so, that it is all the increase in cellular towers and transmission...

What ever may be the case, this is very bad

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
just need to point out that people have hand pollinated agricultural farms for years , decades , centuries.

most of the food you eat is far from naturally grown in the wild, so claiming that bee´s will lower food supplies is abit far fetched,
most of whats out there is hand pollinated if the food in question even gets to them stages in the cycle of the plant.

you can think of it as such ,its like blaming a crow for not picking up after you

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by the seeker_713g

i have noticed that as the weather has started to warm that in one day as I sat on my dozer taking a break that there was at least 5 different species of wasp buzzing around me plus 2 different sets of carpenter bees; yesterday I saw a large hornet buzzing around.

I've notice the same increase in other natural pollinators at Plum Ranch. My interpretation is that the natural species are taking over pollination because of the lack of/ absence of honey bees. Makes complete sense.

"Nature abhors a vacuum" and honeybees are not really a natural species. Only a low percentage of honeybees are wild.

Natural pollinators apparently are trying to fill the void left by the bees.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Please accept my apologies if this has already been stated. I only read the first page of posts and the article prior to posting. (I couldn't help myself)... ha ha ha!!
Anyways, my father is a beekeeper and has been all of my life. I have always helped him with catching swarms and gathering honey in the summertime. I even feed the bees when the weather's too bad for him to get up to them.
I feel the reasoning for the declining bee population is the winters are too hard on them with either too warm/damp of weather causing fungus/molds /parasites to smother them out or too cold with not enough production in the summer months for them to survive the winter.
My father's beekeeping has also just been a hobby. Kind of like having a cat: they pretty much take care of themselves but need love/kindness/feeding occasionally.
Here are a few old wives tales most beekeepers follow (who're older in age and have their "hobby" to keep).
Source: Vanessa's Pagan Place Folklore Page

If a bee enters your home, it's a sign that you will soon have a visitor. If you kill the bee, you will have bad luck, or the visitor will be unpleasant.
Bees have often been regarded as wise and even holy insects, having foreknowledge as well as knowledge of many secret matters. In antiquity they were sometimes divine messengers, and their constant humming was believed to be a hymn of praise. Because of their status it is still considered unlucky in some places to kill a bee.
If a bee flies into the house it is a sign of great good luck, or of the arrival of a stranger; however, the luck will only hold if the bee is allowed to either stay or to fly out of the house of its own accord.
A bee landing on someone's hand is believed to foretell money to come, while if the bee settles on someone's head it means that person will rise to greatness.
They were once considered to deliberately sting those who swore in front of them, and also to attack an adulterer or unchaste person; it was once held to be a sure sign that a girl was a virgin if she could walk through a swarm of bees without being stung.
There is believed to be a very strong link between bees and their keepers; bees cannot prosper in an atmosphere of anger or hatred, and will either pine away and die, or fly away. There is still a common belief that bees should be told about deaths that occur in the beekeeper's family; in past times this was extended to include every birth, marriage or other notable event in the life of the family. It was especially important to inform the bees of the death of their owner; traditionally this was done by the eldest son or widow of the owner, who would strike each hive three times with the door key and say 'The master is dead!'. If the procedure was not followed, the bees would die or fly away. In many districts the hives were put into mourning by having black crepe draped around them, and at the funeral feast sugar or small amounts of the food eaten by the mourners were brought out for the bees.
An old country tradition states that bees should not be purchased for money, as bought bees will never prosper. It is acceptable to barter goods of the same value in exchange for bees, and in some districts gold was an acceptable form of payment. A borrowed swarm or one given freely is more likely to do well; a stock of bees was often started from a borrowed swarm on the understanding that it would be returned if the giver was ever in need of it.
Bee-stings were once thought to prevent rheumatism, and in some places a bee-sting was also thought to cure it.

We firmly believe the one should tell the bees their keeper has passed. That way the bees will know that he/she has gone. Though in my family it's supposed to be my brother, it will be my job instead.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Basically no matter what is causing this it's probably our fault . Pollution, pestisides, cell phone towers, genetically modified food, etc, it's all manmade. I personally think it has a lot to do with the genetically modified food.

There was a large number of wasps by my house last summer, way more than usual but I think it was because we had so much rain. We do have a couple of bumble bees living in one of our gutters though, we noticed them last year. I thought the landlord killed them when he was working on the roof and decided to start spraying with something to kill bees & wasps. But I saw one of them 2 weeks ago when it was warm and again today when my son was planting she came down and was checking out the flowers.

We should all make our yards a little more bee friendly, we need those little guys.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

........snip.....

i would like to point out that as a soverign of an american state you have the right to ask your state to protect your natral soverign rights from.....

AND it is the job of the state to protect these rights even over the federal govenment and their agencies

its their oath of office that you can take a lein out on if you want to take them to court

While I admit that you have made a good point, don't assume I'm an American....I'm not, and your comments don't apply here.

And....this is NOT only and American problem. Bees are found in other countries too...thank goodness, and the Chemical Companies are GLOBAL.
France has put a halt to the use of some of their dangerous pestisides but on the whole, it needs to be more extreme and more widespread. Globally and Now.

Cheers for your response, and I do understand, but here we are dealing with European laws too with a much longer period of history when it comes to things like agriculture. They can often be excruciatingly bureaucratic!

And just a query, but "you have the right to life" and
"you have the right to procreate"....I have to ask..why do some of the American States kill prisoners then, and what if they wish to have a child before they are terminated? Shouldn't they be executed and should they be allowed to procreate beforehand? You maybe used a very broad brush me thinks.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I don't know which is worse: that this overall dramatic decline exists, or that it has persisted for four years now without much ado from people in power.

The notion of global warming is, in my opinion, a very real occurrence that will have drastic consequences. That, however, will run a course over a timeline. I think we pad our fears on that particular topic with the sense that there is still some time to do something about it.

This bee problem, however, is entirely different. There is precious little time to figure out why this is happening, and try to correct it. How long do we have is such a key element of the ecosystem is so drastically diminished?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
the GMO pollen from monsanto is my guess. proly screwing with them or killing them entirely

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

one thing though, if you have a garden or lots of weeds or flowers that could attract bees, you can take a 2 X 4 or any other suitable peice of wood, drill varying size holes in it and nail it up hole side down... bumble bees will be tempted to lay eggs in an already prefashioned bee hole

This would be for carpenter bees.
Bumble bees live in larger community hives underground while carpenter bees drill holes in wood (such as fences or house trim) then make a tunnel of chambers, one for each egg. Nests usually consist of

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

GMO foods, would be number one in my thoughts.

www.globalresearch.ca...

That is just one article about it, research genetically modified food, and honey bees. Back in the 80's, I remember when people started growing GMO corn around the area I lived, and within just a couple of years people were talking about the finding a huge number of dead honey bees. Back then I don't think most people linked the two, but from my perspective, what I saw with my own eyes, I started picking up on the link back then.

Harm None
Peace

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

........snip.....

While I admit that you have made a good point, don't assume I'm an American....I'm not, and your comments don't apply here.

And....this is NOT only and American problem. Bees are found in other countries too...thank goodness, and the Chemical Companies are GLOBAL.
France has put a halt to the use of some of their dangerous pestisides but on the whole, it needs to be more extreme and more widespread. Globally and Now.

Cheers for your response, and I do understand, but here we are dealing with European laws too with a much longer period of history when it comes to things like agriculture. They can often be excruciatingly bureaucratic!

And just a query, but "you have the right to life" and
"you have the right to procreate"....I have to ask..why do some of the American States kill prisoners then, and what if they wish to have a child before they are terminated? Shouldn't they be executed and should they be allowed to procreate beforehand? You maybe used a very broad brush me thinks.

acording to natueral law all have a right to life its as old as the magna carta and is called god given rights (you dont even need to beleive)

that said im not american either im a new zealander

our country said no to gm crops and sprays (the court decided people over profit)

if all the worlds people found out that under COMMON LAW all people have the right and can use it then these common laws are easy to use

show damage to a second party from a first party no civil court can help but your high court or EU court has an obligation to common law

power for these courts comes from the people not the state or govenment

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I wonder how long it will be before Monsanto releases genetically modified "roundup ready" bees?

They are trying to control crops from every angle, so why not blame them for the bee population decline too!

My 2-cents

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by cagliostro
I don't know which is worse: that this overall dramatic decline exists, or that it has persisted for four years now without much ado from people in power.

The notion of global warming is, in my opinion, a very real occurrence that will have drastic consequences. That, however, will run a course over a timeline. I think we pad our fears on that particular topic with the sense that there is still some time to do something about it.

This bee problem, however, is entirely different. There is precious little time to figure out why this is happening, and try to correct it. How long do we have is such a key element of the ecosystem is so drastically diminished?

einstien said
after the bees disappar we only have three years till we follow them into extinction

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

I don't know how many people know this, but parts of China, like Sichuan, don't have enough honeybees.

Pollination is done there by hand.

Hand pollination can also be supplimented with bumblebees.

One other thing, colony collapse hasn't affected Africanized honeybees, aka killerbees.

[edit on 3/5/10 by MikeboydUS]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join