It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EXCLUSIVE: Email From Author Of Arizona Law Reveals Intent To Cast Wide Net Against Latinos

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

EXCLUSIVE: Email From Author Of Arizona Law Reveals Intent To Cast Wide Net Against Latinos

wonkroom.thinkprogress.org

Yesterday, Arizona lawmakers made a handful of changes to the immigration bill

One of those changes replaces the phrase “lawful contact” with “lawful stop, detention or arrest” to “apparently clarify that officers don’t need to question a victim or witness about their legal status.” However, the legislature also implemented a third change that some call “frightening.” As part of the amended bill, a police officer responding to city ordinance violations would also be required to determine the
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b0d2e7f94fae.jpg[/atsimg]

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-5-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Come on man
Where's everybody now saying "read the bill, read the bill".

Too many people in a rented place... go question them.
Oh it's not a big deal, we have to pull the bull by the horns?
This is incrementalism, now it's this tomorrow it's something else.

They are just conditioning you to accept more and more authority and less and less rights.

Defend this!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
O.k., since not only hispanics have cars on blocks in their yard, again it makes racism a mute point. If they are breaking the law by being here illegally, hell yes, arrest and deport them.......

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

You are ignorantly grasping at straws, to many people living in an apartment could be any race or ethnicity. It would be a useful tool.
I am hispanic living in southern Arizona and so are a large portion of these police officers,ICE agents and border patrol you are so afraid of. The situation is dire and somthing has to be done. These new reports of vilolence are not new to those of us living down here.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Not to mention this Andrea Nill character only started writing "news" blogs since this whole Arizona Bill. I can only imagine the author is on a payroll if not obviously biased^^

[edit on 1-5-2010 by conspiracyrus]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ParaShredder
You are ignorantly grasping at straws, to many people living in an apartment could be any race or ethnicity

How am I ignorantly grasping at straws?
Seems like you are ignorantly responding to my post

did you even read my replying post to this thread?

Where in my opening post did I talk about ethnicity or racism or even profiling?

Time to wake up! The immigration bill has nothing to do with immigration!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

MA I happen to like your posts, and this one is no exception. But I would say that this is entirely about immigration. I mean there are alot of illegal immigrants in this country , IMO, mainly because ICE and INS and Border Control are unable to deal with millions of illegal immigrants by themselves. Not to mention keeping track of human traffickers, drug traffickers, and the routes they take through the border.

They need local assistance IMO maybe not official cooperation but just more bodies able to help determine nationality status. And hey, maybe some immigrants will feel the need to talk to enforcement officers about drug and human trafficking for a shot at citizenship....

just a thought

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracyrus

I mean there are alot of illegal immigrants in this country , IMO, mainly because ICE and INS and Border Control are unable to deal with millions of illegal immigrants by themselves. Not to mention keeping track of human traffickers, drug traffickers, and the routes they take through the border.

Or unwilling. I personally take that angle. They had little to say when it was actually happening. Now it is being made an issue because it will benefit the government in many ways to make it one.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I wouldn't doubt it for a second ... but now that it someone (Arizona) finally made a big stink about it people are realizing how little these organizations actually have in terms of resources

Mind boggling compared to the "epidemic" of illegal immigration.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
That "some" find frightening? Who finds it "frightening"?

This is nothing but propaganda for journalism. Cops already do things like this. They are "supposed" to have "probable cause" or else a search warrant to search your car when you're pulled over, too, but in reality most of the time they just make up whatever excuse sounds half passable and will search your car if they feel like it anyway, which is at least as upsetting and already takes place against virtually everyone.

The truth is they just want our borders weakened and eventually removed so they can combine 3 countries (Canada, US, Mexico) to submit under a single authority. I really don't care if people come into this country illegally, but at the same time we need to protect the idea of sovereignty. I don't like the federal government as it is. I wish we still had the Articles of Confederation and that the states acted more like separate European nations before the EU.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

So finally something has been done to protect the USA against illegal aliens and you are unhappy. You are a politically correct liberal and you want the usa to accept anyone in the world who wants to come, being unable to realise it will destroy the nation. Do you lack the foresight to see this or do you just not care? Or in all likelihood you think america belongs to the mexicans anyway and all that stuff.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Come on man
Where's everybody now saying "read the bill, read the bill".

Too many people in a rented place... go question them.
Oh it's not a big deal, we have to pull the bull by the horns?
This is incrementalism, now it's this tomorrow it's something else.

They are just conditioning you to accept more and more authority and less and less rights.

Defend this!

I'm sorry, perhaps I missed something... but what "Rights" do illegal aliens have again??? The only right I am aware of is the one to ship their ass home!

I have read the bill, by the way, and nowhere in there does it talk about "Latinos" or "Casting a wide net". Your title is a lie!

Did you find Obamacare to be incrementalism as well? Just curious...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
no one post, let this troll thread slip away.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by asd10

MA isnt a troll .. i think his source was the title ... more or less the article is trolling rather than MA

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

[

It seems we're already conditioned. Just look at the growing list of "enemies within". Illegals, militias, Tea Partiers, and now (Thank you Rush!) environmentalists.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
I'm sorry, perhaps I missed something... but what "Rights" do illegal aliens have again???

You missed something all right. They have MANY rights. If they are people, they have all the Constitutional rights afforded "the people". They don't have all the rights afforded citizens, but that doesn't mean they have NO rights.

Source pdf

An exhaustive discussion of court rulings regarding the rights of illegal aliens would take tens of pages, and would be so full of legalese it would be difficult to understand. In the interest of brevity and readability, I have summarized below some of the court precedents that affirmed the rights of illegal aliens.

The right of Habeus Corpus has been raised many times in the courts, usually relating to long-term detention of illegal or criminal aliens awaiting hearings or deportation. The courts have consistently held that aliens within the United States, regardless of legal status, do have a right to Due Process and Habeus Corpus. To be sure, their rights follow a different path than US Citizens because citizens are not subject to removal, but the basic rights still apply to illegal aliens.

In Wong Wing v. U S, 163 U.S. 228 (1896), the Supreme Court stated (in citing a previous case and affirming 14th Amendment rights):

“The fourteenth amendment to the constitution is not confined to the protection of citizens. It says: 'Nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty or property without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the law.'

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Where in my opening post did I talk about ethnicity or racism or even profiling?

You do specifically mention "Latinos" in both the thread title & the title of the opening post. But there is no mention of "Latinos" or any other ethnic persuasion in the email you displayed.

Defend this!

You actually made it quite easy to defend...The ordinances that were included in the email are enforcable anyway, regardless of who violates them. Let's face it...Every city has codes to prevent "autos on blocks in a yard" & "too many occupanats in rental dwellings" anyway. The first & only references that deal with racism are in the title you chose to display for this thread. As far as enforcing City Ordinances go, these are also examples of "lawful contact" & "in the enforcement a violation of " state, county and/or municipal codes anyway. Where's the "racism" inherent in enforcing pre-existing codes? How does this constitute "targeting Latinos?"

Where's your "critical thinking?" You didn't actually read it, did you? It sounds like you skimmed over it & inserted your own opinions over the actual writing. Even in the update, posted under the article in your link, David Leopold (president-elect of the American Immigration Lawyers Association) even presupposes racial or ethnic context where none actually exists...You simply followed his lead, even though he's on the wrong path to start with.

Originally posted by bsbray11
That "some" find frightening? Who finds it "frightening"?

This is nothing but propaganda for journalism.

I have to agree with this. Anyone who says that our own government would never use propaganda against us is a prime candidate for The Darwin Awards.

Originally posted by bsbray11
Cops already do things like this. They are "supposed" to have "probable cause" or else a search warrant to search your car when you're pulled over, too, but in reality most of the time they just make up whatever excuse sounds half passable and will search your car if they feel like it anyway, which is at least as upsetting and already takes place against virtually everyone.

The key to this, if you happen to be the one pulled over, is to actively voice your denal for permission to search your car. Then, if you take it to court, he has to prove probable cause, even in the face of your denying your permission. Probable Cause is very tough to actually prove if there wasn't any to begin with. As long as there was nothing illegal immediately visible by simply looking into your car, there's no Probable Cause.

If you can get this far, then his testimony will be thrown out & any charges dropped. Furthermore, if the cop's violation of your 4th Amendment Rights was serious enough, you can follow the Due Process of Law, slap a lien on his Bond of Office & he'll be out of a job (in disgrace). Furthermore, such a dismissal permanently disqualifies him from holding any Office under Public Trust...Ever!

The real key to success in the face of such abuse of your Rights is to stay calm, voice your disapproval of Rights being violated, refuse to sign anything (your signature constitutes "entering into contract" with that officer & that ties you down legally) & take it as far as you need to re-assert yourself. Rights are not passively recognized...You really do have to fight for them if you want to keep them. Where most people fail is that they allow their fear to keep them from speaking up in their own defense.

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yeah, you're right BH...As usual, when I read your posts.

One of those Rights is the Right to Due Process of Law...but if convicted under that Law, it can still mean deportation. Simply being in America illegally is already "strike one."

[edit on 1-5-2010 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Ma, i really got to disagree with you here. Heck, my husband would be suspected for the way he used to keep his cars before i finally made him sell them and he's lilly white with Army Birth Control glasses =/

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by asd10
So finally something has been done to protect the USA against illegal aliens and you are unhappy. You are a politically correct liberal and you want the usa to accept anyone in the world who wants to come, being unable to realise it will destroy the nation.

You sound pro-bailout, you are the liberal here therefore!
You sound like "the worst thing we can do is nothing"

As if the worst possible direction is the only direction

What will destroy the nation is people who accept more and more loss of freedoms.

"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

-- by Martin Niemöller, prominent German anti-Nazi theologian and Lutheran pastor, best known as the author of the poem First they came....

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   

No I am not a liberal.

And that whole slippery slope Nazi reference is really getting old now.

Here is the liberal arguments:

1. Call people racist to discredit them

2. Compare the actions of the person/country to Nazi germany

You have gone for option 2.

Think about this modern academia, really think and use your brain, if there is any left that is actually rational and not already controlled by political correctness brainwashing by the media:

In your opinion america can't say who comes into the country.

So what about Japan? are they Nazis because they dont let illegals in?

What about the other 95percent of all countries in the world who enforce their borders.

You dont understand what a country is.

I will not post anymore as this is pure reaction seeking, star and flag hunting from a liberal who does not understand the world.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join