It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anne Frank's tree, now dying, still inspires hope and new life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Anne Frank's tree, now dying, still inspires hope and new life

www.cnn.com

This is a story about a girl and her tree -- a tree that helped keep hope alive, even as the world closed in on her.

Three times in Anne Frank's widely read diary, the young Holocaust victim wrote about a tree. She could see it from the attic window of the secret annex where her family hid for two years, before being betrayed.

"From my favorite spot on the floor I look up at the blue sky and the bare chestnut tree, on whose branches little raindrops shine, appearing like silver, and at the seagulls and other birds as they glide on the wind," she wrote on February 23, 1944. "As long a
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/1/2010 by whatukno]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
But there is hope, as they have been collecting the chestnuts from the tree, and have been growing saplings from those seeds. They have been distributing those saplings to schools, the white house, museums etc.

Just to keep the tree and Anne Frank's memory alive. The tree is sick from a fungus, it's mostly hollow on the inside having been ravaged by the disease. I don't know whether or not they can preserve the tree itself or if they will have to let nature take its course and eventually remove the tree.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/1/2010 by whatukno]

join