It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here it goes for the AZ bill, (followup makes it just right).

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com... Read full story here.

PHOENIX -- Gov. Jan Brewer on Friday signed a follow-on bill approved by Arizona legislators that make revisions to the state's sweeping law against illegal immigration -- changes she says should quell concerns that the measure will lead to racial profiling.

The law requires local and state law enforcement to question people about their immigration status if there's reason to suspect they're in the country illegally, and makes it a state crime to be in the United States illegally.

The follow-on bill signed by Brewer makes a number of changes that she said should lay to rest concerns of opponents.

"These new statements make it crystal clear and undeniable that racial profiling is illegal, and will not be tolerated in Arizona," she said in a statement.

Alright, can we all just get along now /whew. They will have to be pulled over for something first instead of cops going gung ho and profiling all individuals. Furthermore, I hope this will make them target the employers harder, instead of every mexican walking around. Three cheers for AZ....right?

[edit on 1-5-2010 by ventian]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
And just so nobody tries to play the "Fox News Propaganda" card:

But one of the changes -- which had been adopted by state lawmakers Thursday night -- says police could stop suspected illegal immigrants only while enforcing some other law or ordinance.
CNN

There's of course still going to be the argument that the cops are just going to start looking for minor infractions to have an excuse to ask for documents, and that that is tantamount to profiling.

All I have to say on that is that I get the same sort of treatment because I happen to look like a Hippie.

Fair? No, but it happens to everyone.

TheAssoc.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Well, as long as we can be sure that all AZ police officers are honorable and will act with the utmost of integrity...

I know. That's unrealistic. But NOTHING is going to make the illegal immigration laws easy. It would have been much easier to strengthen our borders when we had the chance, but putting it off this long and basically allowing it to get so completely out of control... no law or enforcement thereof is going to be pretty. It's an ugly situation. And the solution is going to be ugly, no matter what it is.

This law is better than it was, but that's not saying much. ANY state or federal agency that deals with immigration is going to be highly criticized. That's why Obama is staying away from it, IMO.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Couldn't agree more. The law will always have some flaws but this is much better IMO. It seems that they will be able to hold the police accountable as well if they are busted just profiling. I do believe that this will force them to take a harder look at employers instead of the illegals.

top topics

join