It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas prices jump to more than $9 in Alaska town

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Gas prices jump to more than $9 in Alaska town

news. bostonherald.com

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Most Americans are paying about $3 a gallon for gas. The residents of McGrath, Alaska, saw their gas prices jump by that amount in one night.

The price at the only pump in the remote town 415 miles northwest of Anchorage went from $6 a gallon Friday to $9.20 the next day.

Crowley Petroleum Distribution says it was forced to raise the price because the winter nearly drained the town’s supply, and the only option was to fly in more fuel.
(visit the link for the full news article)

The first link Below is a more in depth interview with the Fuel Distributor

Related News Links:
www.thearcticsounder.com
www.mizozo.com

[edit on 30-4-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
While thier seems to be some circumstances here causing the high price for this particular town I can't help but wonder if this is a glimpse of our near future.

Isn't Alaska supposed to be a high oil producing state? If so even though this town is remote it doesn't seem to be that far from Anchorage so even $6 a gallon seems high to me but what do I know.

news. bostonherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-4-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
ya i agree with the fact that alska produces a lot of oil, and this high price just seems outrageous. especially when you consider the fact that the Alaskans produce a lot of gas, but, hey, North Dakota is the same way.

we have lots of oil refineries in the state, and lots of oil wells. yet when gas was 4 dollars a while ago for most, it was still higher here. its like wtf, we're close and we are producing it, shouldn't it be lower?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if Obama
did this on a nation wide basis
to further tank the economy.
Be prepared, it's coming

$10.00 a gallon Gasoline

welcome to the horse and buggy
again !!!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I live in Amish country - horse and buggy should be a painless enough adjustment for us haha! Or we could always switch to biodiesel engines in our Jeep Cherokee and Grand Wagoneer ...

... we might not make a small carbon footprint but both cars are payed off and we're debt-free!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

So how bout we bring that free energy into play?

100's years of free energy tech is floating around and people still pay the gas companies.

Some people should just import a water powered car. Up in Alaska there is plenty of water, and I'm sure the importation would be cheaper then buying gas.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LocoHombre
ya i agree with the fact that alska produces a lot of oil, and this high price just seems outrageous. especially when you consider the fact that the Alaskans produce a lot of gas, but, hey, North Dakota is the same way.

we have lots of oil refineries in the state, and lots of oil wells. yet when gas was 4 dollars a while ago for most, it was still higher here. its like wtf, we're close and we are producing it, shouldn't it be lower?

Hey Loco, where you from? I live in North Dakota and I agree. We are pulling alot of oil up, but it gets shipped off and refined elsewhere. While we buy our gas out of state. It just doesn't make sense.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Well I guess it's time to buy some roller blades.

Though I do find it interesting that if Alaska does produce an abundance of the gasoline why is it they are being charged more?

Also it kind of makes me wonder when just a few days I saw an electric car commercial. Just did a youtube search inputting various automakers and a whole slough of electric cars came up. Off the top of my head I think it was Toyota but I'm not 100% sure.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Judohawk

i live in North Dakota in the badlands area. like the epicenter of the oil activity. there was this one road we traveled on everyday, and you would not see another car for at least 70 miles. but now you can drive on it and see 30 trucks goin each way.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LocoHombre
reply to post by Judohawk

i live in North Dakota in the badlands area. like the epicenter of the oil activity. there was this one road we traveled on everyday, and you would not see another car for at least 70 miles. but now you can drive on it and see 30 trucks goin each way.

Yep yep, I'm familiar with around there. I live in Jamestown, but I love going to Medora to mess around during the summer.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Maybe this will get people to take a serious look at ethanol instead of believing all the "ethanol is bad" media/big oil propaganda.

Busting The Ethanol Myths

top topics

join