It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low-tech explosive device thrown at Al. offduty officer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Low-tech explosive device thrown at Al. offduty officer

blog.al.com

An off-duty Irondale police officer providing security at an apartment complex said someone threw a "very improvised, low-tech" bomb at his patrol car tonight.
The bomb -- which Hassett said was a "chemical type explosive device" -- missed the patrol car, hit a parked SUV and exploded in the street, he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
What kind of device was thrown? It was a chemical type, perhaps it was The Works toilet bowl cleaner and aluminum foil mixed in a plastic bottle? The device didn't explode on contact it exploded after in the street, after it hit a SUV.
Is this more propaganda? I think so. Don't get me wrong, respect any police officer. Any explosion is dangerous in a residential area.
But this seems more and more common. Everything is a bomb, everything is a explosion.
Another common thing I see in this story is more and more disrespect for law. More people standing up to the people that uphold laws weather they are legit or not. More voices in the street speaking out.
Is this something to expect more of? More IED's?

Local news Just verified it was a plastic bottle with aluminum foil in it. So it had toilet bowl cleaner in the bottle. This concoction is considered a "chemical bomb".
I had a off duty police officer show me this trick about 8 years ago. It is nothing deadly. All this does is swell and pop it sounds about like shotgun but no shrapnel or anything.

blog.al.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 03 /13/200 by realboogyman]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by realboogyman
Another common thing I see in this story is more and more disrespect for law. More people standing up to the people that uphold laws weather they are legit or not. More voices in the street speaking out.
Is this something to expect more of? More IED's?

u have to realize the train of thought of a Patriot.
If he considers a Police Officer to be the strong
arm enforcement branch of unconstitutional laws,
then police become complicit by association with
the tyrannical government. They are the same.

I assume with the continued waking up of
sleeping Americans that more IED's will most
likely be a common occurrence just like it was
with Iraq and Afgh.

Just because you change a nation's laws
doesn't mean you can change their minds
or their viewpoints. An occupied country
will always have a resistance group. How
effective that resistance is, is just how many
are involved. And I think by latest poll that number
stands around 71%.

With this post I am only stating an opinion and should not
be construed as an act of violence nor to incite violence.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Oh the old Drano + aluminum foil trick.

I wonder what that is all about.

They are not very clever, obviously.

Molotov's are far more effective.

Gas is probably cheaper than Drano too.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Man, good for the officer. I doubt it was low tech, if it was a chemical explosion. Perhaps it was some idiot testing out a home made explosive. These kids need to be careful with these dangerous toys. Hurting others like that isn't a cool thing to do, hopefully his agenda isn't too crazy.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
more IED's

I think calling the Drano + Foil + bottle trick an IED is not fair.

You shake it and throw it, and it doesn't even really do anything.

When I was a kid the best results I got was the bottle top got shot off.

It was a very weak experiment. I was sorely let down.

Seriously you could do more damage with a good magnifying glass on a sunny day. No joke.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by drkid
I doubt it was low tech, if it was a chemical explosion.

It was so low tech, that the fireworks sold during holidays are 1000x more dangerous.

Fireworks can actually cause damage.

This joke of a device cannot really do anything at all. At best, it is a Projectile.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Well Alabama ATF was called, Local fire department was called to the scene to wash away the toilet bowl cleaner. On the local 10PM news it showed ther "crime scene" with the caution tape stretched. No damage or injuries reported. This is just 1 county away from me and the news is making a big dramtic deal. I don't really see a problem with what was done, but being stupid and throwing it at someone is a problem.
The news actually told what the "device" was. To me this is a teenager prank and nothing more. Maybe a disturbing the peace ticket or something minor.
My opionion only! No call to arms here just seems stupid!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
This is truly pitiful. We live not so far away from there, and believe me, the cops are already hard enough on these kids, without hoodlums making it worse and flirting with a murder charge, and the blackness of soul of becoming a killer.

I may not enjoy the company of a policeman, personally, but in my home we teach respect for all people, and respect for those who lay their lives on the line and would pull you from a burning building, car crash or gunfight and save your life at a moment's notice, whether you respect them or not.

That is worthy of our respect. We must continue to push this with our kids until they are young adults, and reinforce it then as they go along. Example is best.

Making police jokes, using negative euphemisms, etc, is not allowed in our home. Only a few things are off limits, and that is a big one.

Having this approach helps us to respect the position even if the one filling it isn't our choice or we disagree, however strongly, with them. This prevents a fundamental resentment of the police and other authority figures.

Although we live in difficult times, all times have been, honestly. At this point in our civilization, if we don't show and reinforce respect, we will be permanent enemies of these agencies.

We can take responsibility and own our relationship with the police to the best of our ability, or we can just agree that everything is beyond repair and therefore give up trying to do or hold on to anything that is capable of being the very backbone of our society.

All it takes is an honest look in the eye to our uniformed officers, and a thanks for being there once in a while. It's a tough society, and one cannot truly blame them for looking out for danger first, chitchat last. But opportunities exist. When I was a server, I would look out for policemen and military personnel. Extra this, free that, whatever my boss would let me do, I did, to make a conscious effort to show appreciation and respect.

It goes a long, long way, these little things. We can all do them. That way, every face a police officer sees won't be a threatening one.

My two cents....

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Colonial village apts. Edwards lake rd. Not the worst neighborhood around that area by any stretch. Most likely bored teenagers and typical local news over reaction is my guess. I would be very surprised if this were a political or idealogical act.

Glad no one was injured.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
We use dry ice in a 2 liter bottle with the lid super-glued down.

If done right it take about 15 min to blow the bottle.

And the cops will go nuts.

But all they find is split bottles.
No chemicals or any other reason for the bottles to have blown up.

Tuck one in a trash can under paper thrash and it will blow the trash out.

Low-tech explosive device?? no explosive no device.

It is fun to watch the cops swab the bottle trying to understand what caused the bottle to blow up.

The funny part is a cop showed us how to make them.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by ANNED]

top topics

join