It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The best plan I can think of for immigration.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Let me say first that AZ has made a move that will probably followed by other states. If you put yourself in the shoes of these immigrants then you are probably with me in saying "I would do the same thing." I know that the feds have people trolling these boards so I am going to present a bill that I would put up if I were a representative. I have met a few legal immigrants and it is shocking to me that the tests are so freaking hard (I would bet barely anyone on here could pass it if it was sitting in front of them right now). Not to mention the thousands you must spend in order to get to a level that you can actually pass these tests (I would bet not many on here would be willing to come off of the cash). So here it goes.

1. To be eligible to become a legal citizen you must pass a criminal background check.

2. To be eligible to become a legal citizen you must speak english fluently. (basic to get by day to day. Not everything you learned in english class, just enough to make you sound coherent).

Those are the requirements that I can think of right now. Simple enough test IMO. Now onto the stuff that you must do to remain a citizen.

1. You cannot be on welfare for more than 1 year without being deported. (this may offend some but you must understand that we have too many riding the system as it is).

2. You must pay taxes, any skipped year could lead to deportation.

3. You must not be found guilty of a felony.

4. You cannot send more than $1000 out of the country each year. (Need some way to enforce this, so obviously it is flawed but hey, thats government).

5. If you are a male you must register with selective service.

In closing I would like to say that I welcome all legal immigrants that come over, you are as American as I am. I have also noticed some peoples plan is a National ID card. I got a SS card, birth certificate, driver's license, so no thank you. As far as the border goes, I believe we must completely shut it down with the National Guard. I also welcome any suggestions, comments, or complaints to nail this out. If we can come to an agreement on the things in this bill, I would like to send it into the federal government. Have a nice day all!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
When oh when will we realise we live on a round planet? That we share the same biology? That hope, fear, aspiration, and love feel the same no matter who you are or where you herald from?

This whole immigration debacle is, at base, centred around "They'll take our jobs!". What rubbish. Open your borders, learn to know yourselves and sort out the enigma of the human spirit with all its brilliance and failings and I guarantee none of this will or should matter. What nationalistic nonsense.

I appologise OP, I do not herald from the states. I'm from Australia, where every day more and more "boat people" as our media calls them--they are by and large refugees--arrive every week...much to the dismay and barely concealed racist bantering of the public at large. I could not care less. I hate to think of having our quiet spots turned into cities, but at base Christ I could not give a small rat's rear end. I understand why these people are coming over, what drives them and the situations they're trying to escape.

I guess I'm an anarchist, or some such other label. How about the only requirement is that you're a considerate human being?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
1. To be eligible to become a legal citizen you must pass a criminal background check.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you. Then again, what of those seeking asylum who have been convicted of a crime in their home country...it's akin to telling Jews in Nazi Germany that they're guilty of Germany's crimes, so they're excluded from coming to America.

2. To be eligible to become a legal citizen you must speak english fluently. (basic to get by day to day. Not everything you learned in english class, just enough to make you sound coherent).

Totally disagree. If you don't learn english and immigrate to this country, that's all on you. I don't think anyone should be forced to learn one of the most confusing languages on the planet just to seek a better life. You know, all that 'American Dream' stuff...

Those are the requirements that I can think of right now. Simple enough test IMO. Now onto the stuff that you must do to remain a citizen.

1. You cannot be on welfare for more than 1 year without being deported. (this may offend some but you must understand that we have too many riding the system as it is).

Not everyone can find a job and get promoted within a year to bring themselves out of poverty...while I do believe their should be limits on welfare I struggle to find a compelling reason on time limits.

2. You must pay taxes, any skipped year could lead to deportation.

This should go for every citizen. Hear that TEA party? I want to deport you if you don't pay taxes.

3. You must not be found guilty of a felony.

That's what the prison system is for...not ICE.

4. You cannot send more than $1000 out of the country each year. (Need some way to enforce this, so obviously it is flawed but hey, thats government).

I totally disagree with that. Land of the free indeed...however, I do realize my previous comments on HCR may appear to contradict this statement but I have arguments for that too.

5. If you are a male you must register with selective service.

Anyone 18 to 35 has to...don't they?

In closing I would like to say that I welcome all legal immigrants that come over, you are as American as I am. I have also noticed some peoples plan is a National ID card. I got a SS card, birth certificate, driver's license, so no thank you. As far as the border goes, I believe we must completely shut it down with the National Guard. I also welcome any suggestions, comments, or complaints to nail this out. If we can come to an agreement on the things in this bill, I would like to send it into the federal government. Have a nice day all!

What if you're national ID doubled as you're DL and SS card?

On top of all that, I wholeheartedly welcome legal immigrants to this country and will continue to fight for reform so that you don't have to wait 5+ years and pay thousands of dollars to immigration laywers for a better life.

new topics

join