Originally posted by ventian
1. To be eligible to become a legal citizen you must pass a criminal background check.
I don't think anyone would disagree with you. Then again, what of those seeking asylum who have been convicted of a crime in their home
country...it's akin to telling Jews in Nazi Germany that they're guilty of Germany's crimes, so they're excluded from coming to America.
2. To be eligible to become a legal citizen you must speak english fluently. (basic to get by day to day. Not everything you learned in
english class, just enough to make you sound coherent).
Totally disagree. If you don't learn english and immigrate to this country, that's all on you. I don't think anyone should be forced to learn one
of the most confusing languages on the planet just to seek a better life. You know, all that 'American Dream' stuff...
Those are the requirements that I can think of right now. Simple enough test IMO. Now onto the stuff that you must do to remain a citizen.
1. You cannot be on welfare for more than 1 year without being deported. (this may offend some but you must understand that we have too many riding
the system as it is).
Not everyone can find a job and get promoted within a year to bring themselves out of poverty...while I do believe their should be limits on welfare I
struggle to find a compelling reason on time limits.
2. You must pay taxes, any skipped year could lead to deportation.
This should go for every citizen. Hear that TEA party? I want to deport you if you don't pay taxes.
3. You must not be found guilty of a felony.
That's what the prison system is for...not ICE.
4. You cannot send more than $1000 out of the country each year. (Need some way to enforce this, so obviously it is flawed but hey, thats
I totally disagree with that. Land of the free indeed...however, I do realize my previous comments on HCR may appear to contradict this statement but
I have arguments for that too.
5. If you are a male you must register with selective service.
Anyone 18 to 35 has to...don't they?
In closing I would like to say that I welcome all legal immigrants that come over, you are as American as I am. I have also noticed some peoples plan
is a National ID card. I got a SS card, birth certificate, driver's license, so no thank you. As far as the border goes, I believe we must
completely shut it down with the National Guard. I also welcome any suggestions, comments, or complaints to nail this out. If we can come to an
agreement on the things in this bill, I would like to send it into the federal government. Have a nice day all!
What if you're national ID doubled as you're DL and SS card?
On top of all that, I wholeheartedly welcome legal immigrants to this country and will continue to fight for reform so that you don't have to wait 5+
years and pay thousands of dollars to immigration laywers for a better life.