It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Filter Legislation Shelved Until After Next Election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   

www.gizmodo.com.au

You know what? That proposed mandatory internet filter the Labor government is trying to force upon us has been rather unpopular. It might even cost them some votes. Which is probably why they’ve decided to delay legislating it until after the next federal election later this year.

Nicola Berkovic at Australian IT says that a spokesperson for Senator Conroy has confirmed that the government won’t be introducing the legislation to parliament in either May or June, which means even if it’s introduced in August, it’s unlikely it will be passed.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I continue my updates regarding the appalling Rudd government's efforts to inflict broad internet censorship upon the Australia public.....

Well, here's a little good news!

A few minutes ago on radio 2GB in Sydney, I heard an interview with the Australian federal opposition leader, Tony Abbott.

During the interview the journalist stated Rudd has delayed his internet censorship legislation until later in the year.

You know.....there's a chance this thing will now just die!

Let's hope that's what happens!

Here's the full article:

By Nick Broughall on April 29, 2010 at 11:00 AM

You know what? That proposed mandatory internet filter the Labor government is trying to force upon us has been rather unpopular. It might even cost them some votes. Which is probably why they’ve decided to delay legislating it until after the next federal election later this year.

Nicola Berkovic at Australian IT says that a spokesperson for Senator Conroy has confirmed that the government won’t be introducing the legislation to parliament in either May or June, which means even if it’s introduced in August, it’s unlikely it will be passed.

According to the spokesperson, the reason for the delay is because they government is still talking to ISPs and considering public submissions. Apparently what they are not doing is backing down. Of course, it’s not like they could actually admit to giving up the policy if they decided against it now after trying to ram it down our throats for so long.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

www.gizmodo.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
No wonder it failed. The whole thing was absolutely ridiculous. It was a bad joke.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beatrix Kiddo Jr
No wonder it failed. The whole thing was absolutely ridiculous. It was a bad joke.

Beatrix Kiddo Jr.....

I agree.....

It is ridiculous & it is a bad joke!

I say "is" because it hasn't quite failed yet.....the appalling Rudd & Conroy duo could still have another run at getting it through the Australian parliament.

We still have to watch this very carefully.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I'm not even going to bother to post my usual videos and get-up links... I'm glad this has been postponed - its a step in the direction of scrapping it.

But don't forget Abbot is for it also.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
I'm not even going to bother to post my usual videos and get-up links... I'm glad this has been postponed - its a step in the direction of scrapping it.
But don't forget Abbot is for it also.

Ghostsoldier.....

I agree it's a step in the right direction.

I have a feeling that Abbott ultimately won't support it once he gets his head around the technical issues, the lack of popular support, etc...

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
That's where some who will be basing their vote on this issue are making a mistake.

Wet and dry liberals both support this crap.

I honestly don't see a way around it.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
That's where some who will be basing their vote on this issue are making a mistake.

Wet and dry liberals both support this crap.

I honestly don't see a way around it.

Serbsta.....

I'm hoping that if it does get shoved down our throats, it will take a while for that to happen....perhaps several years.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

I have a feeling that Abbott ultimately won't support it once he gets his head around the technical issues...

That is a masterful combination of non-sequitur and contradictio in terminus.

Is there an ATS reward I can nominate you for?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Excellent piece of News MMN,

Shelving it for a while might make it go away or at least have a better look at it. what you guys need now is a pirate party or at least some party that knows about the Net and what is and is not acceptable across it.

Looking forward to more from you on this as it rolls out.

Kind regards,

-m0r

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Greens on internet filter
Looks like we already got one.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Fantastic news!!

Thanks for posting.

With the US and Google against this and, last but not least, the Australian public against it as well, I don't think there is any chance of this getting through in it's current form.

It will probably pop back up in a watered down optional version which will keep us and them relatively happy.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by rnaa

I have a feeling that Abbott ultimately won't support it once he gets his head around the technical issues...

That is a masterful combination of non-sequitur and contradictio in terminus.
Is there an ATS reward I can nominate you for?

Rnaa.....

Are you picking on poor Tony?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
Excellent piece of News MMN,
Shelving it for a while might make it go away or at least have a better look at it. what you guys need now is a pirate party or at least some party that knows about the Net and what is and is not acceptable across it.
Looking forward to more from you on this as it rolls out.

M0r1arty.....

I hope you are right about it going away

A question.....

What do you mean by a "pirate party"?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Good news MMN!

The filter was always going to be a hard sell. I haven't met one person in Australia that supports the filter. ******* ridiculous! Perhaps they conducted their focus group meetings in churches or something? It certainly wasn't something the average Aussie was screaming for.

IRM

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Good news MMN!

The filter was always going to be a hard sell. I haven't met one person in Australia that supports the filter. ******* ridiculous! Perhaps they conducted their focus group meetings in churches or something? It certainly wasn't something the average Aussie was screaming for.

IRM

InfaRedMan.....

Thanks for dropping in

I guess the appalling Rudd & the appalling Conroy somehow thought they could win votes with this stupid scheme. After all, that's the only thing that determines their decisions.

But as you say, where did they get that impression?

They're both such shockers, who knows where they hang out.

Cheers mate
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   

You know a Pirate Party!!.

It started in Sweden but now many countries have one. It's a bit extreme on the sharing without copyright revenue area but great in a whole bunch of tech areas.

It's about time Oz got one.

Perhaps you could start it...Maybe, maybe not

-m0r

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

m0r1arty.....

OK.....I see.

Well I wonder what my party slogan could be?

I know.....

"There's more to life than.....etc....."

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Hi,

Australia already has a Pirate Party. Please visit our website at pirateparty.org.au... to see our press release on this latest news.

We've been strongly opposing the filter since the party's inception around a year ago.

We are looking for a few more members before we register as an official party to contest the next election, so pleaseconsider joining us. Until we are registered, we have waived the joining fee (so ignore the part on the form that asks for $20).

Feel free to ask about us in more detail at [email protected].

Regards,

David Crafti
President
Pirate Party Australia

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Hey David, I's suggest you drum up 20 posts and post an actual thread about the Aussie Pirate Party to get maximum exposure. There are tons of Bruce's and Sheila's here who would benefit from knowing about it - It might not win you anything but give some serious contention to those currently in the running (Greens are good, but c'mon - computers use energy and so go against their manifesto at a fundamental level).

Failing that perhaps Maybe...maybe not could post a thread about the Aussie Pirate Party here for you.

Personally I'd just get Alf Stewart to do our promos for us. He's flamin' win anything.

Best of luck either way,

-m0r

top topics

join