It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shootings kill 16 people in Mexican border city

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Article

Armed men burst into the Aristos bar in the middle of the night, said Arturo Sandoval, a spokesman for the Chihuahua state attorney general's office. Eight people were forced out into the parking lot and shot to death.

The shootout in front of the Benito Juarez elementary school erupted hours later. Sandoval said a woman and two men were found dead inside a car.

Gunmen opened fire on another car elsewhere in the city, killing four young men inside, Sandoval said. Separately, a gang of armed men killed a man sitting in a wheelchair on the sidewalk, he said.

The army, meanwhile, reported that it freed 16 hostages Tuesday at a house in Sabinas Hidalgo, a town near the northern city of Monterrey. One of the hostages was a 1-year-old child.

Soldiers also seized two tons of marijuana, nine guns and a grenade launcher. It was unclear why the 16 people were being held hostage.

16 people in one city, within hours of each shooting. This is right across the border at the same time.

It seems the situation is getting worse day by day. How long until a story like this happens on the US side of the border? The Mexican army has to deal with hostage situations, multiple shootings within hours of eachother, whats next? This is one situation ive been keeping a pretty close eye on and I cannot see this getting any better anytime soon.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Wow, the situation over there seems to be getting worse. So sad, I hope we can do something to help those poor people get things straight.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
This is terrible. I can't stand this happening! This makes me regret having Mexican blood in me.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
In my opinion, the reason this all is happening - is because of the flow of drugs into the US. It troubles me knowing innocent people are dying just because some gangsters want to sell their drugs in the US, and at the same time, the US Federal Goverment isnt doing anything about it, they just sit back and dont do squat.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687It seems the situation is getting worse day by day. How long until a story like this happens on the US side of the border? The Mexican army has to deal with hostage situations, multiple shootings within hours of eachother, whats next? This is one situation ive been keeping a pretty close eye on and I cannot see this getting any better anytime soon.

You're taking all that in at once because it's presented in the same story. The same thing happens (and a lot more) across the USA every week and nothing is said because it doesn't mean anything.

How many shootings are there in the USA every week? How many hostage situations? How many violent incidents?

Just because you don't see it reported all over your news, and because they're not all mentioned in the same story as to seem entirely linked, doesn't mean they don't happen.

I have no doubt that it's a violent place, and more so than many other places. But to suggest that something is getting worse because one report states several events without providing evidence to link them is not really evidence of anything IMO.

Violence is coming to the US anyway. It's only a matter of time before the economy collapses. None of our countries are facing up to the facts of the economic collapse through fear of upsetting the voters. But failing to act and prepare is going to lead to far more tension and chaos in the months and years to come.
I think people should worry about that before worrying about the border.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Well, I do agree that my opinon on the one report may seem like the situation is getting worse and I did kind of jump on it without looking thru recent reports. But the reason I see it getting worse is because there seems to be another news story every other day about a mass killing in Mexico. Honestly, I have not looked up weekly or monthly reports on recent shooting in Mexico, but thats because I cant really find them. Im more or less just putting what I see in the news into what I percive the situation to be. I can find news stories easily, but I cannot find a graph or statistics.

But I do know as a fact, almost 23,000 people have died down there since 2006, only 4 years.

I do know stuff like this happens in the US, but it is not reported on the news as much. I live right next to Dallas, and on the evenining news there's almost a murder story everytime I watch, but I dont watch it everyday. Plus, the news dosent really seem to make a big deal about most murders where I live, unless it's something extremely terrible. The story usually lasts for only 5-10 seconds while celebrities and sports take up over half the air time.

In a nutshell, basically it is my perception that Mexico's situation is getting worse from what I have read in news reports, although I cannot say it is a 100% fact the situation is getting worse, as I do not have the official statistics to back up my claim fully.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by buni11687]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
This is terrible. I can't stand this happening! This makes me regret having Mexican blood in me.

Why do you say that? We are all brothers and sisters on this planet, but those who don't understand, take things on their own hands. For example, desperate people who take desperate measures. You should be proud of who you are, not be or feel ashamed because another who is related to your nationaly makes stupid causes. I am with you because I, myself am of Mexican descent, who faces critisicm because of my nationality. Yet, I remain strong and plan to make a change not only for my future, but for others as well.

BTW, OP, I definetly think things will get much worse. I have read and heard many stories of kidnaps, killings, beheadings etc on my people.

I have family members and friends of mine who have experienced near death situations one could not imagin. The violence is spreading quickly and fear causes us to be someone else's victim. Let us rise to lower violence.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
[edit on 4/29/2010 by seentoomuch]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Two TONS of pot? Holy snap .. thats a lot of grass.. why, that should fund the Mexican armies operations in that region, with bonuses, for the next few months. Oh .. wait, no .. the Mexican Army isn't a drug cartel ...
They would never sell that stuff.

16 people might be a lot, but it's Mexico, so it's not really surprising.. I suppose, aside from the dude in the wheel chair, that these were all gang/drug related.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by seentoomuch

Make pot legal. Then the drug cartels won't be able to rake in billions of dollars smuggling the green stuff into the US will they? They will have nothing to squabble over. Corporate power would put an end to their barbaric trade.

Where's me peace price?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Yeah I kind of touched on these in my own post here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

don't worry yours and mine are about to different topics...

Still I thought the bigger news was two more Americans being killed on this side of the border in New Mexico... notice how that didn't make the headlines

top topics

join